Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley Vs Young Guns

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The lad that hit Drogba with the coin in the ast round is on the bench for Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That run demanded a finish to shut me right up!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The lad that hit Drogba with the coin in the ast round is on the bench for Burnley.

Was that supposed to be a joke?

2043-fail-camera.jpg

Frisbee wrote: »
    Was that supposed to be a joke?

Aye, in case it goes to penalties.

Game Over
    2-0 Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

good goal, showed good strength and good finish.

The kids are looking in a bit of trouble...

could still definately see extra time though..

Ah bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Game Over
    2-0 Burnley

Says 58 mins played on my tv ;)

Clutching at straws here but that has to be one of the foulest throws I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Says 58 mins played on my tv ;)

I'd be very surprised if we get 2 goals back. After missing all those chances and now going 2-0 down I doubt the kids have the mental resolve to get back into this.
    If we want to have a chance Bendtner has to come off, he's too disinterested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Backed Arsenal to win at 40/1 for fun.

I cant believe he left Bendtner on and took off Wilshere. Unless Wenger is going 4-3-3

thheeeeeeeeeeeee siiiiiiiiim mp sooooooooooon.

whos on the bench? any seniors?

Holy crap that was close!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    whos on the bench? any seniors?

Holy crap that was close!

The subs we have left are:

Mannone
    Coquelin
    Bischoff
    Steer
    Frimpong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Backed Arsenal to win at 40/1 for fun.

With whom?

With whom?

+1
    PP have it at 25-1

Bendtner really is a dope...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

With whom?
    +1
    PP have it at 25-1
    They were 40/1 with Betfair earlier on so I'm guessing he did it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

great save... I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Bah, tis a shame they're gonna go out. Just haven't been able to put away their chances and have pretty much run out of steam. Still fair play to Burnley, hope they go on and win the cup

Bendtner, next stop, the Championship.

Look on the bright side, tonight is the first night the kids have resembled the first team.
    Majority of possession, couldn't take our multitude of chances and conceded soft goals at the back.

Yep, a lot of them will be playing for the first team soon.

Derby through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Bendtner's career should end now. Absolutely terrible. I've seen better stuff from school playgrounds.

Bendtner, next stop, the Championship.
    Are ya wise?? after seeing how bad he played against a Championship side tonight who'd buy him.

I tip Ajax too buy him in the summer.

Q2002 wrote: »
    Are ya wise?? after seeing how bad he played against a Championship side tonight who'd buy him.

I tip Ajax too buy him in the summer.
    Laudrup at Spartak Moscow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Laudrup is a fcuking quality manager, he'd only hire Bendtner to cut the grass.... maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

McCann had a lot more of the ball in the 2nd half and played very well. Some engine, paced himself well and looked like he could have played on for a while longer. Actually looks a very similar player to James McCarthy. They'd both need a playmaker in beside them but 2 good players for the near future anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think it's actually a good thing for arsenal f.c that they have been beaten today. Nowadays the one thing arsenal are famous for is their incredibly talented youngsters, it's been the same for 3 seasons, and it's been a way to excuse bad results on the pitch - 'Oh, but they were only youngsters, they'll learn next season.'

They need to add experienced heads to the squad and go back to the days where they were remembered for their effectiveness as a great football club that were at the top of their game year in year out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eZe^ wrote: »
    I think it's actually a good thing for arsenal f.c that they have been beaten today. Nowadays the one thing arsenal are famous for is their incredibly talented youngsters, it's been the same for 3 seasons, and it's been a way to excuse bad results on the pitch - 'Oh, but they were only youngsters, they'll learn next season.'

They need to add experienced heads to the squad and go back to the days where they were remembered for their effectiveness as a great football club that were at the top of their game year in year out.

I can only hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Disappointing but not unexpected given the early goal conceded. I'd agree with eZe^ in saying the defeat isn't necessarily a bad thing, but from a different point of view than eZe^. This defeat will do the kids the world of good if they learn from it. There was enough glimpses of class out there not to be too disheartened. Their keeper played well but you would expect one of the 5 or so one on ones to go in. Not to be our night. I'd hope Wenger will sit them down and go through the video of tonite with them because there were some glaring and basic errors. I'd put a lot of it down to naivety though.

Secondly, CM is a very worrying postion. Both Ramsey and Randall offered very little going forward and absolutely zero protection to the defence. What concerns me is how lightweight the midfield was. Bear in mind this is who we have behind Fabregas and Denilson/Song so it is an area that requires immediate strengthening as a matter of urgency. I would have preferred that Amuary Bischoff have started as he is supposed to be flying in the reserves and I haven't really had a proper look at him yet.

My view of the team tonite;

Fabianski: Poor for the first goal, nothing he could do about the second. Played well mostly, a couple of dodgy moments and a couple of excellent saves/interceptions, his header out coming to mind. Overall the kid just lacks experience and a loan spell might bring him on more. 7

Gibbs: Played relatively well but was caught in behind a number of times. He'll improve for the experience but won't be troubling Gael Clichy anytime soon. I can't help thinking it should be him on loan instead of Armand Traore but hopefully this will bring Traore on for the Premier League experience. 6

Silvestre: Solid but that would be expected, as dodgy as he is in the top flight sometimes he should be comfortable enough against championship sides and he was. Fabianski's fault for the first and Randalls for the second goal so not much he could do. 7

Rodgers: Never heard of this guy before tonite so I find it incredible that Wenger chose to start him in a CC Q/F away from home. Looks too small to play as a centre half and I'm never convinced by guys with dreads :P. Absolutely shocking defending for the ball he let bounce over him and was shaky before being hauled off. 4

Hoyte: Again as with Gibbs was caught in behind a few times which is worrying against a Championship side. I'm not sure if this guy is more of a centre half than a right back but he did alright. The two full backs were poor at overlapping something which I guess we Arsenal fans take for granted with Clichy and Sagna. Again it has me wondering why Kerrea Gilbert is on loan and not Hoyte. 6

Merida: Had very high hopes for this lad, seemingly playing very well for the reserves this year and last so I was looking for a good showing from him. Alas he just didn't want to know. Some nice touches but it didn't happen for him. Would have loved to have seen him take on the Burnley full back more often as the one time he did he almost and should have scored. 6

Randall: Extremely poor from a guy who should know more than anyone else what is required to beat Championship teams having played with Burnley himself last year. The kid looks far far too light for midfield and gave the ball away umpteen times with little penetration going forward. I have no hesitation in saying he won't make it at Arsenal Football Club. 3

Ramsey: I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in that he has played well in both the CC and League appearences to date. He was equally as poor as Randall in the centre but he's more of an attacking midfielder in the Fabregas mould than anything. Had a few pot shots that never troubled and all in all a night to forget but learn from. 4

Wilshere: Tried his heart out but ultimitely this was the kind of match that wouldn't suit him. Burnley were very physical and in your face and at his age if it doesn't go right for you it's hard to turn it around. He's very small and has a bit of growing to do but he's still very young and matches like this will stand to him in the long run. (As a side not the player that replaced his position, not him, Jay Simpson looked lively and I reckon he could do very well, pacy and powerful he possibly should have started after his performance at Wigan) 5

Bendtner: A nightmare. He does try but he isn't suited to these type of matches in his defence. That said one can make the point that playing for Arsenal FC he should be suited to any kind of match, but that only serves to highlight how average a player he is. I wouldn't be as quick to give up on him as others are but the lad needs to look at his performance tonight and take an awful lot from it that he shouldn't be doing, he's not a CC child anymore and he should be stepping up to this type of challenge. Great flick on for Vela's chance. 4

Vela: The thing that struck me about Vela is how strong he is for such a small guy. Didn't see great service and his normally excellent finishing let him down but he can one that can hold their head up about his perfomance tonite. He's a class above the rest of them. I would like to see him coming on in the League for 20mins a match or so. Don't think he's ready to start yet but 20mins he should be able to contribute. 7

One thing that annoyed me was the amount of flick ons and fancy ****e they were trying tonite. Play it simple when you're chasing the game. For every one time it comes off, there'll be 5 it won't. I think the kids underestimated these guys tonite and one word sums up their performance; naive.

Secondly, I don't know who Wenger has doing the defensive coaching at the club but whoever it is should take a hard look at themselves and so should Wenger. The defence was appalling tonite and it continues a similar theme from the first team. I personally think it could be solved with a world class DM and a bit of decent coaching. At a club like ours people getting in behind the full backs and failing to clear/cut out crosses etc is criminal.

Onwards and upwards fingers crossed after this, Wigan on sat afaik.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fabianski 5
    Gibbs 6.5
    Silvestre 5
    Rodgers 4
    Hoyte 6
    Merida 7
    Ramsey 6
    Randall 7
    Wilshere 6
    Vela 5.5
    Bendtner 5

Lansbury 6.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

G'wan the Burnley! Have a mate who's a die hard and got a text off him first thing this morning. fair play to them.

Fabianski 5
    Gibbs 6.5
    Silvestre 5
    Rodgers 4
    Hoyte 6
    Merida 7 :eek:
    Ramsey 6
    Randall 7 :eek:
    Wilshere 6
    Vela 5.5
    Bendtner 5

Lansbury 6.5

Two of the worst players on the pitch

Dunno how you can give Randall a 7, he was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Just watched this after sky+ ing it. Jebus it was bad. No imagination. Bendtner/Vela were crap. Randell was crap. Gibbs wasn't at the races. And as for Silvestre???!?!?!?!? FFS let him go lads. Wilshere looked tired. Was bundled off the ball far too much. ramsey didn't turn up. Janey Mack, I'm giving them all lash. The only positive to come out of this is that ...................................

Silvestre was actually one of the better players out there tonite. Neither of the goals were down to him. I'll say it again; midfielders of a tougher stature and defensive mindset are needed.

I expected the defence to be weak tonight as it's usually Song and Djourou at CB in these matches.
    We need of get shot of Gavin the same way we did his brother. He's muck

• Advertisement

I expected the defence to be weak tonight as it's usually Song and Djourou at CB in these matches.
    We need of get shot of Gavin the same way we did his brother. He's muck

Product of his environment tbh.

Arsenal defenders learn to play the ball first and boot it out at all costs second. I know thats Wengers philosophy but jesus a bit of basic defensive coaching wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

it is strange, the second string / reserves / kids team have virtually the exact same strengths and weaknesses as the first string, i.e. shaky defence, lack of height in defense, no quality defensive midfielder, no out and out wingers, extremely good at keeping possession, excellent passers, plenty of pace, slightly lightweight, strikers don't take too many attempts to put it in the net..... Anyway, you get the picture.

it is strange, the second string / reserves / kids team have virtually the exact same strengths and weaknesses as the first string, i.e. shaky defence, lack of height in defense, no quality defensive midfielder, no out and out wingers, extremely good at keeping possession, excellent passers, plenty of pace, slightly lightweight, strikers don't take too many attempts to put it in the net..... Anyway, you get the picture.

Indicative of the manager tbh.

Not that I'm complaining too much, a couple of tweaks here and there plus a bit of a DM or 2 and he could be onto something :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

cson wrote: »
    Indicative of the manager tbh.

Not that I'm complaining too much, a couple of tweaks here and there plus a bit of a DM or 2 and he could be onto something :P

If you could merge Wenger and Rafa, you would have the ultimate manager :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Two of the worst players on the pitch
    Completely disagree. Randall was our best midfielder out there tonight, he was much better than Ramsey and Wilshere. Made an error for the second goal (although he did well to even track the player...) and should have scored a goal but otherwise he ran the show.

Merida played some lovely stuff and was waaaaaay more dangerous than Wilshere on the other flank.
    They didn't need plenty of chances in the previous two rounds, and the shaky defence is probably due in part to a number of the first choice young CBs being unavailable - Song (6'), Djourou (6'3), Nordtveit (6'2).

People reading far too much into one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Dunno how you could give him a 3 - he worked way harder than Ramsey (who looked a lot less interested than Bendtner did by the way - Bendtner at least kept working and showing for the ball) and flung himself round like a lunatic trying to win the ball back in what was often a pretty shapeless defensive effort. Add to that some nice ball-playing going forward and I think he performed pretty well. He switched off big time for the second goal but at least he was there to make the mistake and I'm sure he'll learn from it.

Things didn't happen for Arsenal up top last night but they weren't played off the park - a lot of the time, the guy giving the pass just wasn't on the same wavelength as the guy making the run. If they learn from that and push on (and realise the importance of defending as a team to make sure you don't concede, rather than leaving gaping holes in midfield), then that performance and result will be a good accompaniment to the previous two this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Think yer been very kind to Gibbs he quite simply has no clue how to play FB he has great potential (possibly as a left sided midfielder) but it was no coincedence that almost every single Burnley attack came down Gibb's side.

I think Silvestre had a fine game when you consider he had two absentee FB's and in the first half a central partner that sorry looked like someone who wandered in off the street, everytime Fabianski rolled it out to him my heart was in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

The one player that caught my eye last night was Lansbury.
    Firstly he is big and strong, he played well in the second half, used his strength to gain possesion and close control down the flanks, for a player I had not seen much before (think he was injured last seaon) he impressed me.
    Am I right in saying he is a central midfielder ?
    Could he do a job for us as a DM in the future ?

Would Gibbs just be better off converting to being a winger i wonder..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Could he do a job for us as a DM in the future ?
    No - he's an attacking midfielder who's generally played on the flanks in his rare first team starts but can also play centrally. But I wouldn't think he'll ever make a DM.
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    Would Gibbs just be better off converting to being a winger i wonder..
    Not likely - that's where he started before being shifted back (plus Wenger often uses his full-backs to provide width rather than his wide midfielders anyway). Gibbs is a better left back than last night showed though, especially when Arsenal manage to keep hold of possession better than they did last night.

Advertisement