Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Money From ATM - is it really free?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

parsi wrote: »
    Always found it strange (and possibly unbalanced and unfair) that when the bank may a mistake and overpay they can sequester the funds immediately but where the bank "make a mistake" and you're overcharged you can whistle for the funds until they're good and ready.
    It depends on the error. In the case of undercharging you, chances are that the banks has already spent some time investigating before the customer hears of it. Whereas with a customer claiming to have been overcharged, it might be the first the bank has heard of it, therefore need to investigate (not only the specifics of the claim, but also to ensure that the claim isn't fraudulent). They can't just hand out cash to any old person who walks in off the street claiming to have been overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

dotsman wrote: »
    OK, very simple.

Condescension or sarcasm? I can't quite make up my mind.
    When the money is taken from the customer's account, IF they do not have insufficient funds, then they go into an unauthorised Overdraft. They end up paying surcharge interest and/or penalty fees (for any DD/SO's that are missed due to insufficient funds).

See, this is the problem I have with your stance and you've finally gone into enough detail about it so that I can haul you up on it.

You are making the huge leap that the customer has ignored correspondence, buried their head in the sand and allowed themselves to go into an unauthorised overdraft.
    You are correct in stating that the bank will (or at least, should) write to the customer under these circumstances. The nature of this letter (or possibly phone call) will be that the account is being operated outside the authorised limit and needs to be rectified (Different banks will have different policies regarding these letters). Failure to rectify the account will result in the account being moved into arrears management.

Again, you're making assumptions that the person has ignored everything and also doesn't have enough in the account to cover the over-dispensing.
    I'm not saying that receiving too much money from an ATM results in the account necessarily going into arrears. I was just saying that, should there be insufficient funds in the account to cover the extra amount, the customer is embarking on the road that leads to arrears.

Good, I think I'm getting somewhere with you.
    Unless your just being pedantic with the word "arrears" - in that the word technically only applies to missed repayments (ie on a loan, and not an overdraft). However, failure to rectify an unauthorised overdraft leads to a demand for repayment, and thus arrears, should the customer non-comply.

I'm not, just hauling you up on using the term.

Correct, but checking the journal should identify everyone who received incorrect amounts. More often than not, the theft will be discovered.

And even when it isn't - there's Karma:)

Whaddya know, banks aren't all powerful, all seeing entities that see everything. I'm glad to see you finally admit that it may not be discovered.

Look at the situation they're in now, they didn't have clairvoyance enough to see that, did they? :pac:

Condescension or sarcasm? I can't quite make up my mind.
    Well, let's just say it's not sarcasm!

See, this is the problem I have with your stance and you've finally gone into enough detail about it so that I can haul you up on it.

You are making the huge leap that the customer has ignored correspondence, buried their head in the sand and allowed themselves to go into an unauthorised overdraft.
    But I never stated that they definitely would! I was saying that that is what lay at the end of the road if they were to follow the advice being given by certain posters here.

Again, you're making assumptions that the person has ignored everything and also doesn't have enough in the account to cover the over-dispensing.
    As above. For me, the most likely thing to happen is that the full money comes out of their account and life moves on. But if they don't have sufficient funds and if they try to close their account etc as some people were advising, then this is how it would end up.

Good, I think I'm getting somewhere with you.
    I'm not that sort of guy. sorry:)

I'm not, just hauling you up on using the term.
    Pedantic

Whaddya know, banks aren't all powerful, all seeing entities that see everything. I'm glad to see you finally admit that it may not be discovered.

Look at the situation they're in now, they didn't have clairvoyance enough to see that, did they? :pac:
    Never said they were!

OK, I've answered all your queries. Can you answer just one of mine? Are you encouraging a person (be it th OP or any other person who reads this and might end up in the same situation as the OP) to steal money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

Dotsman you seem to be determined to bring this down to mudslinging level. I didn't attack you, I tried to correct your statements. As my name suggests, I require no explanation regarding banking issues.

I must congratulate you on your condescension though - it's so delicious I could eat it without salt. :cool:

In the unlikely event that you realise you need to get a life, feel free to ask someone to explain to you what to do with it etc.

• Advertisement

BankMan wrote: »
    Dotsman you seem to be determined to bring this down to mudslinging level. I didn't attack you, I tried to correct your statements.

Really???
    Dotsman, your talking ****e.
    In the unlikely event that you realise you need to get a life, feel free to ask someone to explain to you what to do with it etc.

Now, that's some correcting:rolleyes:

As my name suggests, I require no explanation regarding banking issues.
    One doesn't require a degree, numerous IBI certifications, and many year's banking experience to pick a username.

Welcome to the ignore list buddy (you're the first person I've ever had to do this for!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You are making the large assumption that this will be found out.

I would'nt be under the impression that it wouldn't TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Hmm think this thread has gone well off course and maybe be heading to a flaming war mods should close it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed. Play nice people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement