Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books of 2008?

Options
  • 02-12-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations of books released this year? Yes it's officially December now so it's safe to have a thread like this right? :)

Personally I think it hasn't been too bad for books this year, better than last year but still not great.

My favourite books released this year (though as usual, I preferred most of the older stuff I read!)

Fiction:
    Let's be Alone Together - ed by Declan Meade
    No one belongs here more than you - Miranda July (just released in paperback this year though strictly 2007 I guess...)
    God's Own Country - Ross Raisen
    The Believers by Zoe Heller
    I quite liked The White Tiger too - very readable.

Non-Fiction:
    What I talk about when I talk about running - Haruki Murakami
    Age of the Warrior - Robert Fisk
    Stuff of Thought - Stepehen Pinker

Biggest disappointment: Man in the Dark - Paul Auster (what has happened the lovely Mr Auster of late?? :()

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What I talk about when I talk about running - Haruki Murakami

I think this was the only new non-academic book I read this year. I enjoyed it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I empathise John - stupid college stuff :( I didn't read half as much as I wanted.

The Murakami book was actually my fave this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I read plenty of books for fun just none of them were written recently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

*cough*

I think I've only read one book that was published this year...

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

Though it was very good...

Advertisement