Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi TT - Little help please!

Options
  • 02-12-2008 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I have recently been looking to buy a new car and really like the TT.

I have a budget of around 12 - 15k and have seen a good few examples on carzone etc for around that mark. Most of the cars seem to be around the 2000-2002 year and have 60,000 miles on the clock and upwards.

As I have not got a breeze about cars and value, I would greatly appreciate if those of you in the know could advise me on the following:

Are they generally expensive to run e.g. parts?

Are they reliable?

Do they depreciate badly when it comes to selling them on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Flynn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

a lot of the depreciation would be done by this stage

check out honestjohn, Whatcar & Parkers for reviews on them

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Your doing well to find an 02 for that money!.Audi's in general are alot dearer than other cars in their class.With the tt your gettin a bit of uniqueness as theres not an abundance of them on the roads.I hear they drive fantastic though,bhp of 180/225 i think depending on model?.With that would come regular visits to the petrol station..I wouldnt worry about reliabilty but get the usual checks done...a bit of flash for your cash as they say!.enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

the previos TT was a bit of a "girlies" car by all accounts and not that good to drive

I'd prefer a Z4 or GT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have recently been looking to buy a new car and really like the TT.

I have a budget of around 12 - 15k and have seen a good few examples on carzone etc for around that mark. Most of the cars seem to be around the 2000-2002 year and have 60,000 miles on the clock and upwards.

As I have not got a breeze about cars and value, I would greatly appreciate if those of you in the know could advise me on the following:

Are they generally expensive to run e.g. parts?

Are they reliable?

Do they depreciate badly when it comes to selling them on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Flynn

Biased - see my username :D Have had 2. Love 'em ! :D

Not too expensive to run, about 31mpg for the 180, less for others. I know of a remapped 225 which is now 270, and it now does.......22-24mpg :eek: ! Still fab, though !!

Reliable. Fairly. Suffer usual VAG problems - MAF's, some electronics. TT's had at least 3 recalls, so make sure they're done. Timing belt on 60k mark, and timing chain around the 110k mark iirc.

At this stage, a MK1 with 60k miles would be considered low mileage, so they will cost you extra. A 100k car with all the big bills done would, arguably, be better value.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

One example I was looking at on carzone was the 2001 1.8 turbo coupe with 100,000 miles on the clock for €12950. Is this good value?

How much would this car on average be costing me on maintenance per year as I am hearing mixed respones to this from mechanics?

Flynn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

history is important - cam belt change a must ( and expensive )
    dash pod known to cause problems
    not great to drive
    poor ride quality

fast and great to look at though - if your not a big car nut you could do a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AUDITT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

One example I was looking at on carzone was the 2001 1.8 turbo coupe with 100,000 miles on the clock for €12950. Is this good value?

How much would this car on average be costing me on maintenance per year as I am hearing mixed respones to this from mechanics?

Flynn

Sounds decent but make sure you find out the service history.
    My brother had an Audi before and I remember him telling me service costs were quite high. I guess you pay a lot for premium brand cars.

Advertisement