Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNMP help

Options
  • 02-12-2008 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

I'm doing some testing on a telecoms node at work and I'm getting it to generate SNMP traps e.g. if the node is restarted it generates an alarm and these alarms can be configured as an SNMP trap that get sent to an SNMP server. So what I need is an application that can intercept these traps and display them, the catch is that it should be something free (no budget for getting tools at the moment) it can run on either Linux or Windows.

I could use Wireshark to catch this as the node sends it but I'd like some kind of application to do it and display it for me. Anyone have any ideas as to what I could use?

This looks like what I'm looking for http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/ but I'd like to make sure before I go wasting a morning and getting nowhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Kiwi Syslog can also be configured to accept SNMP traps, the free version should suit you fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Thanks _Creed_ I'll give it a try in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

I thought you would have known that !!!

Any help you just have to ask .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

celt2005 wrote: »
    I thought you would have known that !!!

Any help you just have to ask .....

Never really worked with SNMP before, aside from a small portion of a module in college. I only thought of it when I got home anyway so said I'd post up here.

Advertisement