Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating system suggestions!

Options
  • 02-12-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

we are about to renovate a small farm workers cottage,part of the renovation will include a 50sm extension giving the cottage when finished a total of about 75sm.we are wondering what would be a good costeffective some way environmentally friendly way of heating the place,we have ruled out goe themal as to expensive.what would you suggest/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If the premises is really well insulated, which is very easy to do during construction / refurbishment, and is not very expensive, then the type of heating system is not critical. Minimising heat loss means that you do not need much heat to maintain comfort levels. Gas or oil should be fine, but make sure that you specify good thermostatic controls to prevent waste due to overheating. Programmable thermostats are best and make sure they are wired so the boiler does not fire unless one of them is calling for heat. If installing gas go for a condensing boiler as these are more efficient than non-condensing types.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Small farmers cottage then I presume you in the country
    Then I would suggest wood fuel heating backed up with oil
    As pete67 said most of you effort should be directed towards insulation
    I will save you the most money in the long run
    If you have the room sheds and stuff then wood heating with a big enough buffer tank would be the way to go

Advertisement