Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fast Powerful and Inconspicuous - car choices

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

HJL wrote: »
    An older Saab is your best bet for something fast that isnt all spoilers and stuff.

on the rolling road my banger of a 9000 clocked an astunding 138.9 bhp !!

not even the red top or anything ( vectra engine FTW )

the fastest motor thats inconspicuious is my cusins daihatsu charade turbo... 1 liter 6v turbo, killing impreza's and evos since 1989... he's never gonna let me have it... or buy it off him :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ferris wrote: »
    To be fair if I was going for a 3L Saloon car it would be a BMW tho.
    I would have said the same until I had a 9-5 2.0t for a while. It didn't encourage hard driving, but it was a very well thought-out, comfortable, safe, mile-eater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Something fast? sporty, luxurious? try mine!!
    let us know.....http://www.carlist.ie/114795

A manual 6 year old 3l 5 series....yes....über desirable at €11k plus an unknown amount of tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

omega 3l v6
    cheap and fast and perfect for the bank job or whatever you need it for

pump for grp 16 and you can havbe an mv6 bt you can chip those v 6;'s quite easilly and they will have been given an easier life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Anan1 wrote: »
    I would have said the same until I had a 9-5 2.0t for a while. It didn't encourage hard driving, but it was a very well thought-out, comfortable, safe, mile-eater.

I'd actually nearly buy this http://www.usedcarsni.com/22426601

• Advertisement

Here's one that keeps popping back into my head:http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1233956

@Tigger - Are there any 3.0 Omegas left? I can't remember the last time I saw one, i'd assumed they'd all been ram raided to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Although I have never owned one -I have driven a few 9-5's and I always found that their humble underpinnings end up letting them down - I mean isn't the chassis the same one since 1997 (Opel Omega)?
    I found the one I drove a bit tiring after a 15 min test drive in the wet as the front wheels seemed to have a mind of their own.

please dont get me wrong - I love saabs by the way and have promised myself a 9-5 estate once I get a dog - but they are no fine handling sports car!

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Although I have never owned one -I have driven a few 9-5's and I always found that their humble underpinnings end up letting them down - I mean isn't the chassis the same one since 1997 (Opel Omega)?
    I found the one I drove a bit tiring after a 15 min test drive in the wet as the front wheels seemed to have a mind of their own.

please dont get me wrong - I love saabs by the way and have promised myself a 9-5 estate once I get a dog - but they are no fine handling sports car!
    I found that too - then I stopped trying to rally the thing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

actually they're based on the vectra floorpan :( but with a subframe that mounts the front suspension.
    Here's one that keeps popping back into my head:http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1233956

Nice car alright, cheap luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

actually they're based on the vectra floorpan :( but with a subframe that mounts the front suspension.

Nice car alright, cheap luxury

I stand corrected - should have looked it up rather than using this damn brain of mine!

Still everything else is true - imo Saabs use their power as a safety device - not to create sporting saloons

• Advertisement

Still everything else is true - imo Saabs use their power as a safety device - not to create sporting saloons
    Absolutely. Part of the reason they're so safe is that they don't encourage you to do anything you really shouldn't. The tendency is to just chill out, happy in your warm, comfy seat.

@Tigger - Are there any 3.0 Omegas left? I can't remember the last time I saw one, i'd assumed they'd all been ram raided to death.

griffen is grp 16

this sorta thing is cheap power

http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_advert?country=IE&modelexact=1&make=Vauxhall&model=Omega&keywords=&min_pr=&max_pr=&min_year=&max_year=&source=&currency=EUR&county=all&county_list=0&sort=20&SUBMIT.x=61&SUBMIT.y=8&id=200849191102397

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kurva

Tigger wrote: »
    omega 3l v6
    cheap and fast and perfect for the bank job or whatever you need it for

Haha haven't resorted to robbing banks yet - but at least i now know the best for that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

From memory, the 3.0 is a light-pressure turbo, ie not as powerful as the 2.3 turbo. Still though, 6 cylinders is 6 cylinders...

Yes, it's an LPT job - which is good. One reason he bought it, over an Aero, is the chassis package - it's much more comfortable than an Aero (fine car too, btw). Not sure, but it should be cheaper than an Aero to insure (but probably not by much).

The car in the ad is my brothers, and it's his 3rd Saab turbo, now going for no. 4.

I've driven it , and with (as Jeremy would call it...) the 'flappy paddle gearbox', it's a stormer. Being a 6, it's smooth as silk, but there's a nice note off it when pushed.....:D :D

That 6 is widely used in GM's, and has a very good reliability record - as mentioned, no sludging issues as can happen with the 4's. (Mind you, none of his 4's ever gave any trouble - but he's religious on the maintenance front). Timing belt change on it was ridiculously cheap (another GM advantage, I suppose).

I'm assuming (but don't know), that it's the same engine as the Omega 3.0, but turbo'd - and the Omega is a fine car, for value and performance too. Rented one on the continent once, for a wedding. V nice.

Personally, I think he's mad to change it.

p.s. it's not heavy on juice - only 1mpg less than the 2.0, on average. He gets about 27mpg on his commute, which is about 22 miles each way. All from having an engine with big torque and has to do feck all to move the car along. T

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes, it's an LPT job - which is good. One reason he bought it, over an Aero, is the chassis package - it's much more comfortable than an Aero (fine car too, btw). Not sure, but it should be cheaper than an Aero to insure (but probably not by much).

The car in the ad is my brothers, and it's his 3rd Saab turbo, now going for no. 4.

I've driven it , and with (as Jeremy would call it...) the 'flappy paddle gearbox', it's a stormer. Being a 6, it's smooth as silk, but there's a nice note off it when pushed.....:D :D

That 6 is widely used in GM's, and has a very good reliability record - as mentioned, no sludging issues as can happen with the 4's. (Mind you, none of his 4's ever gave any trouble - but he's religious on the maintenance front). Timing belt change on it was ridiculously cheap (another GM advantage, I suppose).

I'm assuming (but don't know), that it's the same engine as the Omega 3.0, but turbo'd - and the Omega is a fine car, for value and performance too. Rented one on the continent once, for a wedding. V nice.

Personally, I think he's mad to change it.

p.s. it's not heavy on juice - only 1mpg less than the 2.0, on average. He gets about 27mpg on his commute, which is about 22 miles each way. All from having an engine with big torque and has to do feck all to move the car along. T

its still group 16 tho

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A few years back I bought a '93 Audi Quattro 2.8 4WD in British Racing Green for €5k. Car was mint, s**t quick and handled like a go-kart. Very understated appearance, pretty much looked like an Audi 80 Coupe but she was the real deal!

Miss that car.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    A few years back I bought a '93 Audi Quattro 2.8 4WD in British Racing Green for €5k. Car was mint, s**t quick and handled like a go-kart. Very understated appearance, pretty much looked like an Audi 80 Coupe but she was the real deal!

Miss that car.......

How do you mean the real deal? The Audi coupe at the time was the coupe based on the 80. The original Quattro was discontinued by then, and only came in 2.1 or 2.2 5 cyl turbos.

Biro wrote: »
    How do you mean the real deal? The Audi coupe at the time was the coupe based on the 80. The original Quattro was discontinued by then, and only came in 2.1 or 2.2 5 cyl turbos.
    I think you're being a bit literal there, Biro.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Biro wrote: »

It wasn't the original Quattro, was second gen as such. 'Audi Quattro' on cert, not '80 or anything else. Was N/A 2.8 5 pot.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    It wasn't the original Quattro, was second gen as such. 'Audi Quattro' on cert, not '80 or anything else. Was N/A 2.8 5 pot.

News to me: I've never heard of a 2.8 Audi 5-pot. 2.1 or 2.2, yes. A 2.8 would be a V6, but the age is throwing me..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    News to me: I've never heard of a 2.8 Audi 5-pot. 2.1 or 2.2, yes. A 2.8 would be a V6, but the age is throwing me..........
    I think you're right. From memory there was a 2.3 5cyl too, but the 2.8 was definitely a V6.

Tigger wrote: »
    its still group 16 tho

indeed, but to deny yourself the car fits the bill, does what you want, because it's a Grp 16 instead of Grp 15 would be silly tbh......

Ode To The Motorist

i don't diepute that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Sounds like you want your cake and eat it - you can't have a quick car without increasing your insurance premium somewhat. If the car is old enough, it's relatively low value should balance it out.
    I have a 10-year-old 300hp V8 (normal looking saloon) valued at around €7,000 and comprehensive insurance was around €550 with full NCB.

The only advantage of being in your 30's is you can buy a ridiculously fast car without looking like you're having a mid-life crises.

If you accept the scare stories about the insurance companies as true, then you'll never buy one. You only live once afterall.

Get a list of real quick cars you can afford, old M3's/M5's/Merc 500+ or AMG's are probably the best, get insurance quotes before you buy and get the best you can afford.
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/803828.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Volkswagen Passat 4.0L W8 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

In the e39 the 525d engine only put out 140hp and wasn't that economical. Its the same engine that was in the e34 525d. 530d is a far better job.

E39 520i puts out 150bhp standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

E39 520i puts out 150bhp standard.

W210 E200K (2.0, not the 1.8) puts out 165bhp, and is a nicer car, imho.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

As a mazda 3 mps owner, I would high recomend this car ( i know its group 17) but if you import it from the UK (check out www.autotrader.co.uk ) as I did you can get it pretty cheap compared to here (there is also a good guide to importiing from the UK on this Forum.) You can you use mnoney you save to pay slighly higher premiums.
    It is a bullet off the line 0-60mph in 6.1 and 0-100mph in 14.3! but also very smooth on long motorway journeys, its subtle looking and practical as well.

Advertisement