Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Topaz Fuel Card Joke

Options
  • 02-12-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

What a rip..Its shocking value anyways but this takes the piss!
    Dear xxxxx,

It has been brought to our attention that the fuel company behind
    your current Fuel Card (Topaz Energy Group Limited) has recently
    introduced a change to its pricing mechanism. From Friday the 21st of
    November the automatic default to pump price where the card price is
    higher is no longer in effect.

A communication received from Topaz states, 'The removal of the
    default to pump is a commercial decision taken by Topaz in order to
    reflect the current trading conditions , the general economic
    situation and the increased costs involved in running our cards
    business'.

We are currently in discussions with Topaz and hope to reach an
    agreement in the short term that will introduce additional value to
    the fuel card.

To check out the current price on your Fuelcard, please visit
    http://www.motorcard.ie/prices_this_week.php.

Best regards,

Fuelcard Administrator

Benchmark Fleet Services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Still says this on the site

Fuelcard Price to 06/12/08:
    (or pump price, whichever's cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Stekelly wrote: »
    Still says this on the site

Fuelcard Price to 06/12/08:
    (or pump price, whichever's cheaper)

I got that via email and I'm a card holder. Haven't used it in months anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Not totally unrelated but-
    I stopped off in a Topaz SS in Cork city today,there was a coin lock on the water and air nozzles.
    2 EURO FOR WATER/AIR!!!:eek::eek:
    I nearly pissed into my window washer container.
    I will not be using Topaz again.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Posted this already - waaay down the page here though.

I'm definately down a few euros because of this change being notified TODAY. Put a full tank in at 99.9 pump price when the card price was 106.something for instance.

MYOB wrote: »
    Posted this already - waaay down the page here though.

I'm definately down a few euros because of this change being notified TODAY. Put a full tank in at 99.9 pump price when the card price was 106.something for instance.

Didn't see that mate only got the mail today!;) ..Won't be using that card again its been ****e for months. It was great to begin with but then it was cheaper at the pump always and the AA average was always lower than the cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I only posted it about two hours ago, also got the mail today. Still, its gone off page 1, out of sight out of mind and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Cant believe that, the card serves no purpose anymore.

I only posted it about two hours ago, also got the mail today. Still, its gone off page 1, out of sight out of mind and all that!

Ok no probs I suppose this can be closed off so! :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

My Dad has a Topaz card. I get all his emails as he doesn't use a computer. I never got that email? :confused::confused::confused:

kikel wrote: »
    My Dad has a Topaz card. I get all his emails as he doesn't use a computer. I never got that email? :confused::confused::confused:

Which issuer? Both me and the OP have them via Benchmark Fleet Services but I think you can get them direct as well as via other crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I am with benchmark and got the email, self employed so need all receits for the accountant and the once a month statement suited me down to the ground, back to showing receits into the ashtray!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah - bit annoyed at this.
    Was well handy using the card, no need to carry cash.
    The site price for petrol is 104.4 and I can get it for 98.9 in a station I pass regularlly.
    Bye bye Topaz

I cannot see myself using it anywhere other than in Britain now, its grand there - you obviously pay the pump price in any BP and it gets billed to you in euro at a respectable conversion rate (although you oddly get a second seperate e-bill and a paper bill on Topaz paper, posted from abroad...) - saving hassle with sterling cash, Irish credit cards not authing (has happened to me before), etc. You do get funny looks handing over the Irish cards, but they work, and most of the motorway services seem to be BP so its very handy.

Over here, its getting chucked in the boot in my emergency bag, only to be used if I've no cash or other plastic now.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah - bit annoyed at this.
    Was well handy using the card, no need to carry cash.
    The site price for petrol is 104.4 and I can get it for 98.9 in a station I pass regularlly.
    Bye bye Topaz

104.4 is a joke alright. I've sent them a mail about there page not updated about the pump price and a rant about their new system being a joke.

As I said theres always been cheaper I used it as a conviencience factor at Topaz stations (Pump price was ALWAYS cheaper) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I cannot see myself using it anywhere other than in Britain now, its grand there - you obviously pay the pump price in any BP and it gets billed to you in euro at a respectable conversion rate (although you oddly get a second seperate e-bill and a paper bill on Topaz paper, posted from abroad...) - saving hassle with sterling cash, Irish credit cards not authing (has happened to me before), etc. You do get funny looks handing over the Irish cards, but they work, and most of the motorway services seem to be BP so its very handy.

Over here, its getting chucked in the boot in my emergency bag, only to be used if I've no cash or other plastic now.

Doesnt work in the rest of Europe anyway, and they display the Routex logo. Pain really, alot of places don't take Visa only PIN in the Netherlands, GeldKarte in Germany and Maestro.. laser card works fine :/

Why wouldn't it work in the rest of Europe? I've never tried, but any "INT XX" card should work at any Routex accepting site. Benchmark ones are INT63 by default. Any other one I've seen is a NAT XX card, though, like the ones we have in work.

Why wouldn't it work in the rest of Europe? I've never tried, but any "INT XX" card should work at any Routex accepting site. Benchmark ones are INT63 by default. Any other one I've seen is a NAT XX card, though, like the ones we have in work.

My Benchmarks a NAT 63

My Benchmarks a NAT 63

Hrm. Mine never have been, two cars and a few renewals; neither have my brothers. I've got the card for my old car here beside me and its definately INT 63.

I have no idea what the numbers mean, just know 60 is diesel only and 63 allows petrol too - work cards are NAT60.

don't know, but tried it in France, Germany, Belgium and Holland. "Card not Valid"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Got this email tonight too (Benchmark/motorcard) and I'm rightly pissed off as well that this has been applied (as far as I am concerned) retroactively. I just put €50's worth of diesel into the car on Sunday @ 99.9 only to find out today that it's going to cost me more - ok it's only a few quid in the difference but it seems very underhanded to me.

Won't bother with it at all as the price I get at my local station is ALWAYS about 7/8c cheaper.

• Advertisement

Hrm. Mine never have been, two cars and a few renewals; neither have my brothers. I've got the card for my old car here beside me and its definately INT 63.

I have no idea what the numbers mean, just know 60 is diesel only and 63 allows petrol too - work cards are NAT60.

Hmm mines about a year old maybe less but it is indeed NAT 63

motorcard1gb8.png

Mines a different design; must have different schemes. I'll know for sure if it is truely a proper international card next year when I'm off to Italy for a bit.

craichoe - did they get you to enter the PIN in those places? The first station I tried mine in (Lancaster services) didn't and it didn't work; luckily I had the bit of paper with the pin on it in my car (secure that...). Never actually got charged for that transaction as they clearly still made a balls of it!

Mines a different design; must have different schemes. I'll know for sure if it is truely a proper international card next year when I'm off to Italy for a bit.

craichoe - did they get you to enter the PIN in those places? The first station I tried mine in (Lancaster services) didn't and it didn't work; luckily I had the bit of paper with the pin on it in my car (secure that...). Never actually got charged for that transaction as they clearly still made a balls of it!

Is there a PIN for these cards?? I've never had to enter one I have the letters filed.

Is there a PIN for these cards?? I've never had to enter one I have the letters filed.

There is indeed - but it may not be issued for NAT cards as I've never been asked for it in Ireland!

There is indeed - but it may not be issued for NAT cards as I've never been asked for it in Ireland!

Depends,

I do use a Athlon Shell Routex card

Netherlands - Always
    Germany - Always
    Belgium - Sometimes
    France - Sometimes

I was freaked the first time filling the car.. had to ring a colleague as i didnt know there was a pin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

staker wrote: »
    Not totally unrelated but-
    I stopped off in a Topaz SS in Cork city today,there was a coin lock on the water and air nozzles.
    2 EURO FOR WATER/AIR!!!:eek::eek:
    I nearly pissed into my window washer container.
    I will not be using Topaz again.:mad:

That's a deposit only, like a trolley in a shopping centre,
    prevents scummers using it and just throwing it on the ground afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

i know this ot but what about their claim that their "clean" fuels do more to the gallon.
    what a joke

I would suspect its 5% ethanol like lots of other brands sell now, but their leaflet is amazingly evasive in giving any real details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just had a very narky conversation with my sister about this very thing. The card has been increasingly sh!t value for the last couple of months, but this really takes the biscuit. And what the hell is with informing us almost two weeks AFTER the change has been made???

As someone else said, my card will be going into the breakdown bag in my boot for use only as a complete and utter last resort. This week's price is 5c a litre dearer for diesel than the lowest price on my route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If the current low oil price is 3 months ahead of the supply that fills our cars, the price (including duty, VAT and average transport/refining costs) should be around 85c per litre.

WTF is it doing at around 100c still???

Advertisement