Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP PLEASE phone socket upstairs

Options
  • 02-12-2008 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

icon9.gifHELP PLEASE phone socket upstairs
    hi there
    really need some advice my head will explode if not resolved this problem

i have eircom broad band in living room with phone line in a twin filter port . i have no phone sockets upstairs and want to have a PC up there for the boys play station etc INTERNET modem . can i make an extension from the one in living room . i hope you understand what i am saying as i don't frown.gif

AD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Unless you do it professionally and keep the average REN Value above 1, then I suggest you use a much easier alternative - wireless. This would be much better as using an extension cable with DSL can cause intermittency, slow speeds or even no DSL syncronisation whatsoever, giving the lenght of the cable of course. It was decrease your noise margin significantly or make it fluctuate, it's bad enough that contention does this a lot of the time anyway, especially if your connection is far away from your exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ad--01

Username! wrote: »
    Unless you do it professionally and keep the average REN Value above 1, then I suggest you use a much easier alternative - wireless. This would be much better as using an extension cable with DSL can cause intermittency, slow speeds or even no DSL syncronisation whatsoever, giving the lenght of the cable of course. It was decrease your noise margin significantly or make it fluctuate, it's bad enough that contention does this a lot of the time anyway, especially if your connection is far away from your exchange.

sounds a better idea thanks . one thing how does a wireless work

AD:confused:

Simple - the wireless router would be downstairs connected to your main NTU emitting the wireless signal (2.4Ghz standard over 13 possible channels) all around your house. Upstairs, your computer (which may need a wireless receiever) and PS3 (which already have one built in) can search for wireless networks and connect with an encryption key so only you will be able to access it.

Can you tell me which router you use with Eircom because they give away modems?

If it's wireless, it will have a wireless light on the front and look like this:

dsl_netopia_2247NWG-T.jpg

Simple - the wireless router would be downstairs connected to your main NTU emitting the wireless signal (2.4Ghz standard over 13 possible channels) all around your house. Upstairs, your computer (which may need a wireless receiever) and PS3 (which already have one built in) can search for wireless networks and connect with an encryption key so only you will be able to access it.

Can you tell me which router you use with Eircom because they give away modems?

If it's wireless, it will have a wireless light on the front and look like this:

dsl_netopia_2247NWG-T.jpg

i have just taken this picture of the one we have

Yes, that's the one already, good stuff.

Now on your computer, go to Start > Run > Type "ncpa.cpl" and press OK > This will load up Network Connections, are there any "Wireless Network Connection" icons?

• Advertisement

Yes, that's the one already, good stuff.

Now on your computer, go to Start > Run > Type "ncpa.cpl" and press OK > This will load up Network Connections, are there any "Wireless Network Connection" icons?

i did exactly what you said and no Wireless Network Connection" icons

only Local Area Connections Connected AND 1394 Connection Connected

Ok, the best option now is to purchase a Wireless USB adapter.

These are relativilty cheap (from €25 to €50) and you will then be able to connect wirelessly to your Eircom Wireless (which will be called eircomxxxx xxxx). Here's a Google Search, they're everywhere - Click!

You can retrieve your wireless encryption key by going to the following link on your PC.

http://192.168.1.254/indexRES.htm?wirelessRES.htm

It will look like this:

Image.png

excellent

i did that and the link worked and i now have the wireless encryption key . i will get the Wireless USB adapter Friday when out shopping . where does this plug in to and when i have done that what then

the boys have a play station 3

PS; really appreciate all your help and great advice brilliant you are a star

The Playstation 3 is easy to connect to, it's all automatically assigned except for picking the Wireless SSID and entering the encryption key.

Here's a guide:
    1) Select "Network Settings" under "Settings" in the home menu, press the button.
    2) Select "Internet Connection Settings", press the button.
    3) You will be popped with a message stating the Internet connection will be terminated, select Yes, press the button.
    4) Select "Wireless", press the button.
    5) Select "Scan", press the button.

The system will search for access points within range and display them as a list.

6) Select the access point that you want to use, press the button. (An SSID is a code or a name that is assigned to the access point. If you have no clue which SSID to use or if the SSID is not displayed, contact the person who set up or maintains the access point.)
    7) Confirm the SSID for the access point, press the right button.
    8) Select the security settings as necessary, press the right button.
    9) Enter the encryption key, press the right button. (The encryption key field will display an asterisk (*) for each character you enter. If you do not know the key, contact the person who set up or maintains the access point).
    10) Select Easy or Custom and adjust the settings. If you select Easy, then the basic settings are automatically set. If you select Custom, then you need to enter the settings. Refer the settings supplied by your Internet service provider.

Regarding the USB adapter, it just plugs into any available USB port on the PC, the back is much preferred as it's known that more voltage goes to the rear ports other than the two or four free at the front of the machine - it's also prone to receiving a kicking from whoevers using it haha.

thanks again for the advice

what Wireless USB adapter should i get as there is so many

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

You can get a few but maybe try get a Linksys wireless USB adapter. I would go to Argos as it would be a bit cheaper and the likes of PC world and Currys are that bit more expensive but i supose what ever is easy for yourself.

Vanbis wrote: »
    You can get a few but maybe try get a Linksys wireless USB adapter. I would go to Argos as it would be a bit cheaper and the likes of PC world and Currys are that bit more expensive but i supose what ever is easy for yourself.

looking in Argos book and can not see a Linksys ?! what will do us ie: speed mps
    wireless - G
    wireless - N compack etc ect

sorry for being a silly billy

top man thanks

very much appreciated to everyone , for the kind help

AD

PS: as soon as i have item i will let you know how i got on with set up

ad--01 wrote: »
    top man thanks

very much appreciated to everyone , for the kind help

AD

PS: as soon as i have item i will let you know how i got on with set up

If you have any problems just post back or create a new thread under the Wireless and anyone should be able to help.

Goodluck.

If you have any problems just post back or create a new thread under the Wireless and anyone should be able to help.

Goodluck.

excellent i shall do that sorry i got it in wrong section i,m a newbie here . great fantastic forum with great members

AD

excellent i shall do that sorry i got it in wrong section i,m a newbie here . great fantastic forum with great members

AD

You are in the correct form, but if you have trouble setting up wireless just create a new thread as thats the issue you want help with, you learn as you go.

You are in the correct form, but if you have trouble setting up wireless just create a new thread as thats the issue you want help with, you learn as you go.

true very true thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

AD

You got the right forum so no worries.

Meh there isn't really any need to start a new thread but then again it wouldn't bother me any so what ever you want to do OP.

Yeah it's the related to the same issue so keep the posts in here, all the information in the one place :)

Linksys, Netgear or Belkin are the best ones to go with - great hardware but the software is not so great.

When you get one, I'll guide you through installing it without the need for the 3rd party software, using Windows to manage the wireless on it's own is easily the best option. It's then as simple as 1,2,3... Search, Password, Connect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement