Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The best tyre brand. Opinions please

Options
  • 02-12-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭

Simple. Does at it says on the tin. What is the best tyre Brand. I've only put up what I class to the top brands so any other suggestions please state below. Also please give a reason why you chose your own particular choice.

EDIT: This poll is about opinions so in absence of 100% knowledge and one definitive answer feel free to vote for whatever you're rolling around on at the moment!

Best tyre brand 33 votes

Pirelli
    0%
    Bridgestone
    15%
    DarwinTropheusBiromacrubiconleincar 5 votes
    Michelin
    27%
    ARGINITEpred racerTiggerMax_DamageDamien360critical alpQuazziemumhaabubmcgrath 9 votes
    Goodyear
    27%
    kdevittbillbond4PhoenixRisingRoviPlugreb73Paddy001bmcgrathvf949 9 votes
    Toyo
    27%
    ondaflyJHMEGgilbertTipsy MactossyEPMSpannerMonkeyjoeperryvf949 9 votes
    Other Please Specify
    3%
    S.I.R 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Doesn't it depend on the car/exact tyre/tyre size/application etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Michelin
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Doesn't it depend on the car/exact tyre/tyre size/application etc?
    I agree with this but I'm hoping with the very broad selection of people (and cars) on boards that we will get an even enough vote for a broad spetrum of tyre types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

What about the Nankangs on me Galanza?

Stick to the road like glue up me nostrils...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i don't think its possible to pick one
    there is a huge amount of factors in play - not least peoples preferences and priorities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Damien360

Michelin
    Difficult to say which is best.

For grip the Pirelli wins hands down but you will not get 20000km from them on the front. So will be costly over time. Typical E150 each on 16".

For long term surival (lots of kms), the Michelins are best but cost an arm and a leg. Grip is ok in dry but very good in the wet. Typical E180-190 each for 16".

Continental have good grip in dry and wet and an ok mileage. 40000km typical. About 150-160 per tyre on 16".

I use Bridgestones which give me 50000km and are decent price when comparing top brands. Grip is decent but not as sure footed as Conti in dry. Typical E150 each for 16". That is why I pick those.

All figures based on various Mondeo's doing 50000km per year every year for many years. Prices are recent up to last week when I replaced 2 rears and are all Dublin prices.

Michelin
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    i don't think its possible to pick one
    there is a huge amount of factors in play - not least peoples preferences and priorities
    Whats your number 1 Rob. This poll is all about opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hankook?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

You spelled Michelin and Pirelli wrong, and you forgot to include Continental in your poll....

Q2002 wrote: »
    What we're trying to tell you is that it's a stupid question. Kind of like asking which is better, apples or bread.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Bridgestone
    Damien360 wrote: »

For grip the Pirelli wins hands down but you will not get 20000km from them on the front. So will be costly over time. Typical E150 each on 16".

For long term surival (lots of kms), the Michelins are best but cost an arm and a leg. Grip is ok in dry but very good in the wet. Typical E180-190 each for 16".

Continental have good grip in dry and wet and an ok mileage. 40000km typical. About 150-160 per tyre on 16".

I use Bridgestones which give me 50000km and are decent price when comparing top brands. Grip is decent but not as sure footed as Conti in dry. Typical E150 each for 16". That is why I pick those.

All figures based on various Mondeo's doing 50000km per year every year for many years. Prices are recent up to last week when I replaced 2 rears and are all Dublin prices.

I've just gotten a little over 31000kms on Pirelli's

Michelin
    I edited my original post Anan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I like the round ones, so I do. Preferably in black. :D

PS ...fixed the spelling in your poll ..it was doing my head in

I edited my original post Anan.
    I give up. OK, the best tyres ever are Yokohama Geolandars, They came with my Forester. They're the best because they grip on mud and they squeal on tarmac, making me feel like i'm in The Sweeney. Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry - I cannot give you one - as I said there are too many factors at play - its a silly poll really

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Geolanders are great, have them on my Outback. Are they any good in the snow? Going home to germany for christmas, and we might get a white christmas this year....*thinks of mulled wine with a shot of rum*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Geolanders are great, have them on my Outback. Are they any good in the snow?

Nope, not really.

At least they weren't on the one snow day I experienced when I had them on my Jimny. Alright on slush though.

The only tyres that are good on snow are real snow tyres ...those with the little lamellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Firestone FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Goodyear
    Damien360 wrote: »

I've a pair of Pirellis on the front, over 30k km still going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Quick answer, depends on the car and tyre, and what you want (dry grip, wet grip, long life etc...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Continental FTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

VREDESTEIN SPORTRAC very grippy in the wet ..... cant fault them at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bridgestone
    Depends on many things. I found Pirelli P6000's not spectacular, but P5000's excellent value. Dunlop Sport SP9000's very good for grip, Good Year Eagle F1's even better but a little softer. I don't like Michelin because the grip goes long before the tread does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Michelin
    Fizman wrote: »
    Firestone FTW.

QFT!!

I voted for Bridgestone since Firestone are owned by Bridgestone, I recently fitted two Firestones and are well happy with them. They have the real American V8 pedigree about them unlike the light crap from Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Toyo
    cancan wrote: »
    What about the Nankangs on me Galanza?

Stick to the road like glue up me nostrils...

:)

If you melted nankangs down,mixed them with 2 parts evo stik and 2 parts no more nails and then mixed the resulting concoction with a half ton of cement and dropped it form a cargo plane 3000ft up onto the M50 then the still wouldn't stick to the road,the term ditch finder comes to mind......

back on tipic

Im a goodyear man myself i had 3 or 4 sets of GSD3's and then when production came to an end i decided to shop around,i was going to go the PS2 route but every review i read said goodyear F1 assymetrics were the tyre of choice,11 odd k later im well pleased and will be ordering a new set soon hopefully.the are an improvement over the old F1's in every way noise,wet grip and durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Michelin
    always found bridgestones to be the best compromise, ive put them on loads of cars, good grip, good milage.

and at 70 quid a pop (citroen hdi c5 cant remember the size) cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

Any suggestions for 215/45R18 tyres? Need excellent grip due 260bhp fwd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Other Please Specify
    toyo are prefferable as ive had no complaints other then price about em...

Highest reccomendations possable :D

Advertisement