Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Crashing

• 02-12-2008 8:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had my Xbox a long time now (1 of the first ones), over the past few days (since the latest updates) it's just locking up when playing games. What happens (in Gears of War 2) is I get a quick static "click" and there's 3 wavey lines down the screen with the screen still on, nothing works. To turn it of you only have to press the power button (don't have to keep it pressed). No red lights or anything. Anyone expierence anything similar? I had a google and can't find anything

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah its starting to go, my launch 360 went like like that before the RROD. Its the GPU heating up, the solders must be brittle from melting and hardening when it cools.

Make sure you RROD it before your 3 years come up if it hasn't already. You don't have to hold the power button to turn on a 360, just press it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

sorry, I ment to turn it off, well beyond the 3 years warrenty at this stage I think :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Actually, just checked the back of the xbox there and it was manufactured in Feb 06, so I'm within the 3 years (just).

How would 1 "force" the RROD if 1 was so inclined? Also I just noticed that it locks up on the dashboard as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just keep using it and block all the vents or wrap the whole thing in a towel or two. Once it RRODs just plug everything out, turn it off take off the hard drive and send it away. It is possible in some cases that when it RRODs you can let it cool turn it back on and it will be OK for a short time, thats why when it happens just switch it off and leave it when you want to send it away.

If you were to do it now you not have a replacement this side of christmas so I'd wait till the new year, if your 360 lasts that long is another thing.

Cheers, I'll do that, much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

and make sure you make it go rrod before calling it in otherwise they won't honour your warrenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

It is possible in some cases that when it RRODs you can let it cool turn it back on and it will be OK

This is exactly what happened mine. It would freeze after a couple of mins. I got the RROD after a few days, rang MS straight away and arranged for it to be sent off.

I played it a few times after I got the RROD also and it was fine until it froze. Once you see it once, send it off. The freezing problem won't go away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its happening when playing Gears of War 2 for me as well but I think its just a GOW 2 bug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Just sent back my 3rd Xbox in the last 3 years back the other day with the same problem and RROD

Im thinking that update they sent out was majorly dodgy, its probably using a Windows 98 kernel or something.

They should really put the blue screen of death on the Xbox, just so you know that you have a genuine Micro$oft product :D

I thought they had a linux kernal on the xbox?

Anyway, got the RROD death last night, I was panicing, I was very near the end of GOW (won't spoil it) and it locked up, then I turned it on and managed to finish the game, went out to make a celebratory cup of tea, came back and there were the 3 rings. Of course I didn't have the game taken out, so powered it back on to take out the disk, worked perfectly then, but rang Microsoft anyway. Got approval for the replacement, just need to organise the courier. Lead time is 2-3 weeks, yerman on the phone seemed to think that if I got it sent back before the weekend that I should have it back before Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Clareman wrote: »
    I thought they had a linux kernal on the xbox?

Anyway, got the RROD death last night, I was panicing, I was very near the end of GOW (won't spoil it) and it locked up, then I turned it on and managed to finish the game, went out to make a celebratory cup of tea, came back and there were the 3 rings. Of course I didn't have the game taken out, so powered it back on to take out the disk, worked perfectly then, but rang Microsoft anyway. Got approval for the replacement, just need to organise the courier. Lead time is 2-3 weeks, yerman on the phone seemed to think that if I got it sent back before the weekend that I should have it back before Christmas

Definately, just register the console on xbox.com before you send away...apparently speeds up the process. I sent mine away last month. Took 3 days to get there, 3 days to repair and 4 days to get back to me.

I had mine registered, made things very easy, the fella on teh phone was very helpful as well, which is unusual when talking to M$ (no offence to anyone that works for M$)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Anyway, got the RROD death last night, I was panicing, I was very near the end of GOW

Funnily enough mine RRODed on GOW2 as well (but thankfully I had completed it and was on my second play-through)...

Overall MS was very good in replacing it: I registered on the site there and then, set up the exchange online, got a UPS label the next day, packaged it all up and took it to the UPS drop-off point on Pearse street and that was it... It took 2-3 days to get to Germany and after 2 days they sent out a replacement, which got to me yesterday. Overall, it took just over a week and I didn't have to make a single phone call, etc.

The only screwy thing is that they kept sending me automated emails that they had not received my faulty console even after they had and the replacement was on the way :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

J-blk wrote: »

The only screwy thing is that they kept sending me automated emails that they had not received my faulty console even after they had and the replacement was on the way :).

just keep replying them that you already sent the console. mwybe you'll be lucky to get free one ;)

I still haven't received the courier slip in email, bit annoying to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

docentore wrote: »
    just keep replying them that you already sent the console. mwybe you'll be lucky to get free one ;)

It's an automated email so I'd have to contact customer service - and my online profile shows the completed replacement/shipment. And since they got me sorted anyway - and fast - why try to scam them out of a free console? :)
    I still haven't received the courier slip in email, bit annoying to say the least

When I registered for the repair, the first email I got said I should get the label within 24 hours (which was indeed the case). If longer has passed, the original email advised to contact them about it...

Received it back today, must say besides the mis-spelling of my email address I've been very impressed, new console and a free month's live subscription, can't complain really :)

Advertisement