Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Horse to ride question

Options
  • 02-12-2008 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, previous thread from giorgi was closed. Think that was a bit unfair.

Anywhoo just thought I'd pass on a bit of advice to giorgi - I'd say keep looking for a suitable horse and don't pay any heed to anyone that said you'd be better go to a riding school. I got a lovely horse on loan over the summer to teach my boyfried to ride and it was the best way he could've learned. Not blowing my own trumpet here, I just mean that it was relaxed, informal and much cheaper. He got to ride 3 to 4 times a week for 50 quid (grass livery), we went at his pace and had great fun! The horse's owner was more than happy to let a beginner (god forbid) onto her horse and the horse seemed to enjoy herself.

Also when the time came to give her back we had plenty of offers from within the yard of horses to ride over the winter. With the way things are going at the minute people would rather let someone else give them a hand with excercising and bills than have to sell their horse.

So basically keep looking, maybe place a few ads in papers/on the internet and get talking to people - you never know who might might be looking for a hand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

squidge wrote: »
    Hi, previous thread from giorgi was closed. Think that was a bit unfair.

Anywhoo just thought I'd pass on a bit of advice to giorgi - I'd say keep looking for a suitable horse and don't pay any heed to anyone that said you'd be better go to a riding school. I got a lovely horse on loan over the summer to teach my boyfried to ride and it was the best way he could've learned. Not blowing my own trumpet here, I just mean that it was relaxed, informal and much cheaper. He got to ride 3 to 4 times a week for 50 quid (grass livery), we went at his pace and had great fun! The horse's owner was more than happy to let a beginner (god forbid) onto her horse and the horse seemed to enjoy herself.

Also when the time came to give her back we had plenty of offers from within the yard of horses to ride over the winter. With the way things are going at the minute people would rather let someone else give them a hand with excercising and bills than have to sell their horse.

So basically keep looking, maybe place a few ads in papers/on the internet and get talking to people - you never know who might might be looking for a hand.

Why not pm giorgi rather than drag up a closed topic again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I agree.

But I'll add my tuppence worth first. The best place to learn at least in the initial stages is in a proper school with a registered and insured instructor. Sure, quality varies but plenty of good instructors are out there. Look for AIRE and BHS approved establishments and ask around too.

There is no way I'd lend out my horse in order to facilitate teaching an unbalanced beginner.

Eh, thread was closed for a reason. Starting new threads again on the same topic is a great way to earn a little break from the forum.

Maybe you are amazing and fantastic, but for the rest of us then, riding schools are probably the way to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement