Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I getting 3MB Broadband?

Options
  • 02-12-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry. This is a really stupid :o question, but could you help me determine my line speed.

I had 1MB Broadband bundled with my Eircom phone, but about 2-3 weeks ago I filled out the form on Eircoms website to upgrade my broadband bundle to 3MB.

They said they would email me if they were unable to complete the upgrade. I've received no email.

I don't think my line speed has been increased. I've run some of those line speed test things, but I don't really understand them. In saying that, I really can't believe the results the tests are giving me back would indicate 3MB. I know I'll never get 3MB, but I think I'm not even getting 1MB, which is why I don't think they've upgraded. But they haven't mailed.

Would any of ye mind talking me through a few of the good speed tests & analyse the results for me please so I've all the info before I ring the useless shower of ***

Thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Why not try speedtest.net and test your speed. You could also log into your modem to see what speed your syncing at ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

www.speedtest.net

and post your results on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Download Speed: 1226kb/s
    Upload Speed: 204kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

its actually alot easier to find out
    put http://192.168.1.254/ into your internet explorer which will bring you to your eircom router. there is a reading in there for speed.
    If no URL comes up might have to check a few things. (that is if you have an eircom router :) which im sure you do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Would any of ye mind talking me through a few of the good speed tests & analyse the results for me please so I've all the info before I ring the useless shower of ***

Thanks,
    BB

Like he said just log on to the Netopia configuration page. All you need to is open Internet Explorer and delete whats in your address bar and type the following, 192.168.1.254 and press enter. This should bring up a configuration page with some information on it. You should be looking for Downstream and Upstream.

If you are still on 1MB you will 1024/512 & if its 3MB you will see 3072/512.

• Advertisement

ok so you are getting over 1mb which means you are on a package over 1mb...
    This is the busiest time of the day so your contention will be at its highest. Keep trying at different times of the day and see what results you get.

Are you using a wireless router? Anybody else in the house use the internet?

Download Speed: 1226kb/s
    Upload Speed: 204kb/s

Thats only syncing at over 1MB so you are not on 3MB as of yet. Id suggest if its possbile to disconnect everything connected to the telephone line in the house and turn off the router and check again or just make sure you have Microfilters connected to each phone point around the house.

Thanks Guys.
    The cheeky Fcukers!!!!!
    My router says 2048/256
    Which means they've charged me for upgrading me to 3MB Broadband, but only upped my line to 2MB, hoping I wouldn't cop it. Am I right?

Thanks Guys.
    The cheeky Fcukers!!!!!
    My router says 2048/256
    Which means they've charged me for upgrading me to 3MB Broadband, but only upped my line to 2MB, hoping I wouldn't cop it. Am I right?

Yes that would be correct, it may also be that you can only get this speed, but id call them and see what they say and post back with a update.

Yes, I'm on Wireless. No one else on it at mo.
    Have filters on all phone lines.

Thanks for all your help.
    I was thinking I was over 1MB, but knew I couldn't be at 3MB, & just wanted to be sure before contacting them

• Advertisement

are you using the netopia wireless modem eircom sent you?

yes, I'm using netopia.
    on hold to eircom at mo.
    Are they allowed to charge me for 3mb if only 2mb is available?

yes, I'm using netopia.
    on hold to eircom at mo.

No, why should you pay for a service you cannot receive?

dunno about the prices but if your modem is only syncing at 2mb then you are defo not gonna anywhere near 3mb....
    have you tried restarting everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

yes, I'm using netopia.
    on hold to eircom at mo.

Yes as the service is UP TO 3mbs not 3mbs, big difference, but it looks like they have only upgraded you to 2mbs as there may be line issues.

MC

He immediately tried to tell me i had to speak to sales.
    When i was having none of it i'm now on hold again.

No, haven't rebooted anything yet.
    Strange that it would accidentally jump from 1-2 when it was supposed to go to 3mb, that would only require a reboot to fix. No?

He immediately tried to tell me i had to speak to sales.
    When i was having none of it i'm now on hold again.

No, haven't rebooted anything yet.
    Strange that it would accidentally jump from 1-2 when it was supposed to go to 3mb, that would only require a reboot to fix. No?

Wouldn't hurt....try it and see

I dunno how far you will get cos the 3mb is up to 3mb but then again your modem is only syncing at 2mb so it is impossible for you to get 3mb

Ok, well it seems that yes, by line is unable to take 3MB.
    My router is currently saying 2400/384 which is slightly better, but I'm paying the 3MB price.
    Would there actually be much of a difference between my line now & if I was able to get 3MB?
    Of looking at it the other way, Am I now getting noticeably better speeds than if I stayed at & paid for 1MB?

Thanks for all your help folks

A little irk, but their form said if my line was unable for the 3MB I'd be emailed, but I wasn't.
    Shouldn't I have been emailed to be informed that my line could take the full speed?

EDIT:- Oh, & they had only put it to 2MB. Only when I rang did he up it to 3MB, but then I can't utilise most of the 3rd MB anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Welcome to "f.u. were €ircon and can do what we like coz Comreg is afraid of us" Ireland.

MC

My router is currently saying 2400/384 which is slightly better, but I'm paying the 3MB price.
    Would there actually be much of a difference between my line now & if I was able to get 3MB?
    Of looking at it the other way, Am I now getting noticeably better speeds than if I stayed at & paid for 1MB?

A little irk, but their form said if my line was unable for the 3MB I'd be emailed, but I wasn't.
    Shouldn't I have been emailed to be informed that my line could take the full speed?

EDIT:- Oh, & they had only put it to 2MB. Only when I rang did he up it to 3MB, but then I can't utilise most of the 3rd MB anyway

to be honest i dont see much point in paying 3MB if you can only get 2MB and thats what they have you on at the moment, but if you are happy then id leave it for the moment. Id check out UPC broaband service, you can 10MB for what you pay eircom.

• Advertisement

Ha ha!!
    I like it!!!

Well I'm even just happy that I know what my line is at.
    Oh & thanks for my routers IP address. I couldn't remember it.
    Eh, shouldn't I change it?
    Or can I change it? Surely it's not good that all the routers IP addresses are the same?
    Anyway, that's a whole other thing I suppose

Welcome to "f.u. were €ircon and can do what we like coz Comreg is afraid of us" Ireland.

MC

Seems a bit harsh no?

The OP's line is unable to handle 3mb so Eircom are providing her with the maximum her line can handle...As posted by the OP she is syncing at 2mb-2.5mb and paying for up to 3mb she can drop to 1mb and pay for one 1mb is shes chooses so I don't how eircom are the ba$tards here...

btw I am not a fan of eircom. I have smart as my internet provider in my new house and I previously worked for a competing provider

Ha ha!!
    I like it!!!

Well I'm even just happy that I know what my line is at.
    Oh & thanks for my routers IP address. I couldn't remember it.
    Eh, shouldn't I change it?
    Or can I change it? Surely it's not good that all the routers IP addresses are the same?
    Anyway, that's a whole other thing I suppose

haha, no you cant change it, its set by default for that make/model. You can change the login details which is admin/admin by default.

Vanbis wrote: »
    to be honest i dont see much point in paying 3MB if you can only get 2MB and thats what they have you on at the moment,
    Prob is it's bundled in with my parents phone line & I only have the choice of 1 or 3MB as a bundle.

Must look into that UPC crowd like you said.

Thanks again

Prob is it's bundled in with my parents phone line & I only have the choice of 1 or 3MB as a bundle.

Must look into that UPC crowd like you said.

Thanks again

No probs. I was with eircom previously but switched to UPC so i could get faster speeds. I'm currently getting 10MB and have had no problems since i signed up :)

Oh, but come here!
    If my line is only capable of 2MB, is ther much point in trying to change provider?

Oh, but come here!
    If my line is only capable of 2MB, is ther much point in trying to change provider?

UPC or NTL as they are also known as dont provider broadband on the telephone line like eircom its done through cable which is more stable hense one of the reason they can provide faster speeds then eircom. Do you have NTL digitial or Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

hmmm...
    are u sure the line can only handly 2MB ?

do you have much internal wiring (extenstions ?) is it connected to other machinery (sky boxes)
    your line might be 3MB but u might just be using it.

what eircom would do if you got them to come out is do a check at the first eircom point with everything else disconnected and do a speed check there.
    how handy is that

We've no sky, monitored alarm, fax or anything else. There's only 1 phone in the house.
    I live in a rural area on the border to N.I.
    Broadband was only available here about a year ago.
    Cable is not available in the area.
    I don't think I've any other option for broadband besides the phone line.
    I'm not a big broadband user, so I'd only want about 3MB anyway, so don't want to be out any big expense.
    1st Eircom point is just inside the door so would be easy for them to check, but the guy seemed pretty convinced it was my line that just wasn't capable, & seeing as up to not that long ago I wasn't able to get broadband at all, I'd say he's prob right.

• Advertisement

want about 3MB anyway, so don't want to be out any big expense.
    1st Eircom point is just inside the door so would be easy for them to check, but the guy seemed pretty convinced it was my line that just wasn't capable, & seeing as up to not that long ago I wasn't able to get broadband at all, I'd say he's prob right.

Like you say probably lucky to be able to get the service in the first place. If you dont have the option for cable broadband service then you could always try BT LLU service and switch the broadband over but it depends if they could provide you and if you really want faster speeds and the hassle of transfering over.

Advertisement