Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of atheist are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I am not militant/anti-theistic
    Zillah wrote: »
    Atheists as a whole should not be judged according to the actions of a radical few :)

But really, a militant sounds like one who takes up weapons and uses violence to further their ends. That's not a fair description of those who are critical of religion and its role in society.

I've always found that when applied to atheists, militant takes on a non-violent approaprium. I've never heard of a actual gun-toting militant atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nor have I but it still conveys a negative impression. Just like some religious people like to attack "materialists"....being the opposite of belief in the supernatural, but it carries extra negative qualities by association with the meaning of obsession with material possessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I know the Atheist Ireland discussion is another thread, but maybe what's needed is another militant organisation? How about resurrecting "The Union of Belligerent Atheists" or "The League of the Militant Godless"?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Well, I chose militant on the grounds I have no time for religion.
    I don't go round attacking religious people though and basically keep my militant tendencies to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I'd like to think of myself as a Nihilist militant/anti-theistic Athiest.

I'm against organized religion as whole but would also question the origins of morality, ethics and principles of humanity. I'd very much be an advocate of individual morality rather than enforced societal or cultural morals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

pH wrote: »
    Those throwing around the word militant in relation to atheists, (say Hitchens or Dawkins or indeed anyone you have in mind) - I have a question.

Who are militant atheists, what makes them militant, and by whatever definition makes them a 'militant' would it also make the Pope a 'militant' catholic, or have you a definition for militant which would exclude the Pope but include say Dawkins?

"Atheism which is actively hostile to religion I would call militant. To be hostile in this sense requires more than just strong disagreement with religion—it requires something verging on hatred and is characterized by a desire to wipe out all forms of religious belief. Militant atheists tend to make one or both of two claims that moderate atheists do not. The first is that religion is demonstrably false or nonsense, and the second is that it is usually or always harmful." (Baggini 2003, Atheism a VSI pp. 101–104)

Came up before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

When I was a teen I Loved debating religion with my thus inclined friends. I remember being the only one in the class who was willing to stand up against the angry mob just to show them that there were other options besides religion and it was ok not to believe in this fairytale. Now though, I'm a bit sick of it all, as the same arguments tend to arise again and again and arguing with religeous people often feels a bit fruitless.

Religion and preaching make me feel sick to my stomach and I can honestly say that if I was given the option of pressing a button that would open the eyes of the religeous to exactly what they're following, I would.

As with most atheists, if I ever felt that atheism was being misrepresented or that religion was worming its way further into society/government I would take a stand. For the most part though, I let them at it.

"Atheism which is actively hostile to religion I would call militant. To be hostile in this sense requires more than just strong disagreement with religion—it requires something verging on hatred and is characterized by a desire to wipe out all forms of religious belief. Militant atheists tend to make one or both of two claims that moderate atheists do not. The first is that religion is demonstrably false or nonsense, and the second is that it is usually or always harmful." (Baggini 2003, Atheism a VSI pp. 101–104)

Came up before

Fine, so a Christian who says that Christianity is true and "makes sense" and that atheism is usually harmful would then by that definition be a "militant" Christian? So you'd be happy to call the Pope and most of Ireland's current and previous archbishops "militant" then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So you'd be happy to call the Pope and most of Ireland's current and previous archbishops "militant" then?
    Well the Pope was trained by the Nazis! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »
    Says the guy with an inverted cross for his avatar. :p

Is that what that is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dades wrote: »
    Well the Pope was trained by the Nazis! :pac:
    father-ted-careful-now.jpg
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Fine, so a Christian who says that Christianity is true and "makes sense" and that atheism is usually harmful would then by that definition be a "militant" Christian? So you'd be happy to call the Pope and most of Ireland's current and previous archbishops "militant" then?
    I'm a militant pacifist so I really can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Who are militant atheists, what makes them militant, and by whatever definition makes them a 'militant' would it also make the Pope a 'militant' catholic, or have you a definition for militant which would exclude the Pope but include say Dawkins?

I think its best put ,
    Militant Muslims fly planes into buildings,
    Militant christians blowup abortion clinics,
    Militant atheists write books.:D

I'm a militant pacifist so I really can't comment.

Thanks for clarifying. Maybe when Baggini comes up with a definition of Militant Christian you'll be able to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I sometimes wonder why atheism had such peculiarly staunch supporters in its ranks. No doubt much the same people would poo poo the doings of the likes of astrologists, psychics, ghost busters and all manner of (potentially more dangerous) alternative medicine practitioners. But I get the sense that the fight against religion is fought with more conviction. The poll asks if you are a militant atheist. Is anybody ever asked if they are a militant rebutter of astrology?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Galvasean wrote: »
    Is that what that is?

I didn't make it, it was in the stock avatars :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

lugha wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder why atheism had such peculiarly staunch supporters in its ranks. No doubt much the same people would poo poo the doings of the likes of astrologists, psychics, ghost busters and all manner of (potentially more dangerous) alternative medicine practitioners. But I get the sense that the fight against religion is fought with more conviction. The poll asks if you are a militant atheist. Is anybody ever asked if they are a militant rebutter of astrology?

Supply and demand. Not enough of the others around to argue with.

On a more serious note, I couldn't agree more about the very real dangers of some branches of alternative medicines, specifically those that portray themselves as a real alternative to conventional medicine.

However atheism is purley a disbelief in Gods, it does not actually require a disbelief in astrologists, psychics etc, but as the majority (not all mind) of atheists view the world through reason, opposition to the likes of the above is a natural consequence.

If you want to play devils advocate, why not start a thread on how great astrology is and find out for sure what everyone thinks ;)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this poll fails

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

marco_polo wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I couldn't agree more about the very real dangers of some branches of alternative medicines, specifically those that portray themselves as a real alternative to conventional medicine.
    Complementary Medicine, not alternative, this is very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Complementary Medicine, not alternative, this is very important.
    if you are going to object to anything I would object to the "medicine" bit ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wicknight wrote: »
    "Alternative medicine" is so called because it's an alternative to medicine.

A lot of CAM people leave out the "to".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Wicknight wrote: »
    I actually agree with you. My personal prefrerance is to call them complementary therapies.
    robindch wrote: »
    "Alternative medicine" is so called because it's an alternative to medicine.

A lot of CAM people leave out the "to".
    Yes Complementary to Medicine. I would be very wary of anybody who claims they have an alternative to medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I maintain a deep scepticism of any medicine that hasn't been developed by scientists and/or approved by a credible authoritative institution like the FDA.

I've learned a few simple ways of identifying possible questionable remedies:

If there is an exclamation mark on the box (This product works!).
    If it claims to be natural.
    If it is bought outside a pharmacy.
    If it makes reference to energy or herbs.

That's not to say they can't work, but even if they do the people selling them probably don't know the first thing about them, or claim they work by a means other than that which they do and this makes them liars, charlatans or at best ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

In some cases can a placebo not help just as much as a prescription from your local GP? I don't like the "Pill for every ill" mentality that some medical practitioners have. Id rather go see an osteopath for my sore back than a GP who will just tell me to take a panadol and go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

I wouldn't call myself a militant atheists, although I have said I want signs up at my funeral which read

"Praying strictly prohibited"

:D

Advertisement