Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help choosinng first car!!

Options
  • 02-12-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey folks,
    I'm a 24 year old fella currently learning to drive (i know, what have i been doing til now!).
    I'm hoping to buy a car in the next couple of months. It'd obviously be my first car and i really don't know much about them. I'm looking for advice on what type of car i should buy. we're talking makes, models, engine sizes and all that. I'd be looking to spend roughly €1500-€2000, as i'm sure the insurance will be throught the roof anyway. I know there are new tax laws meaning certain engine types are better to have than others. What should i be looking for in this department?
    Any advice anyone could offer would be great!
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Start with something small < 1.4cc . I think the seat Ibiza is great value and could pick up a 00 on your budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Trigger84

Started out myself with a punto (NITEMARE), then onto an 00 Ibiza and it was a smashing car (3 door silver with go faster stripes and No Fear sticker :D i kid). Absolutely no complaints and it caused no trouble. Highly recommend one and they have a bit of poke too.

With regards to insurance you will be fine. Once you're 24 they trust you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd agree with the Seat Ibiza as a first car, but the truth is that it doesn't really matter because you will have it for a year, have bumped it around a bit and then get something a bit better. For value for money and reliability the Ibiza is probably the best learner car around. Just make sure if possible to get a professional to have a look over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

how bout a 1.4 polo. there a grand car or maybe a 1.3 fiesta?

If your wodering about the new laws regarding the diesel engines then I'm afraid that the €200ish tax applies to the newer diesel cars only (06 up I think) which would mean their likely to be outside your budget.

So you'll have to stick with the smaller engined petrol cars for the time being (althogh I'd imagine tax wouldn't be too bad on them either) and as someone else said insurance shouldn't really be an issue at 24

You may take a few bumps or scrapes when your new to the road so your right to start out on a cheaper car and then you can work your way up to something a bit more tasty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Another thumbs up for Ibiza here, dont necessarly agree with only keeping your first car for a year, ive still got mine 4 years and 3 months later!

Only recently purchased another car but the Ibiza is still going strong 167k miles!

The pre '99 models didnt all have power steering, mine is diesel and was originally a UK car so it had power steering.
    Your budget should get you a Mk3 Ibiza and they were much better spec'd.

They engine they come in (Mk3 99-02) is 1.0, 1.4, 1.9 Sdi and Tdi, also come in 1.6 sport and 1.8T Cupra but id guess they are out for first time car.
    Im a diesel man, but the €600 odd a year road tax scares people off. Id recommend the 1.4, better spec and will be much better for overtaking and driving on the open road in general. Dont think insurance should be much more for the 1.4 over the 1.0, and MPG will be similar too. Only difference is slighty higher tax, little price to pay though, 1.0 cars are very underpowered and you will outgrow it very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Something with a towbar so you can feel your way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't limit yourself to any one car. just figure out what you want from the car, how much you have to spend, and most importantly, which cars you like.
    Important factors in this price range are service history, mileage, NCT, and the overall reliability of a particular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A mate of mine was in a similar situation to you OP but is a little older, his first car and a novice to driving. He was looking at Micras, Fiestas, etc. He then found a nice 99 Almera and checked out the insurance and found that there was very little difference in price. He bought the 99 Almera for €1450 and got a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty. Nice clean, tidy car too with more creature comforts and zip than a Micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

+1 on th Ibiza. A polo for less dosh basically. Alternatively there's the Micra (you dont wanna be seen in one even though they're very good) or the Fiesta. If you can get a 1.25 zetec with air con you're onto a winner. Should be plenty out there in your price range too. Had one myself as a first car and it was a great yoke. Plenty of pep and light on petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi OP,

I am selling my Nissan Micra gx car for €1500. Its a 99 car (black metalic colour) with 3 doors, airbars, cd/radio player, excellent condition, only 61000 miles on the clock, NcTed until Sept 09 and Taxed till October 09. Its a great first time car. Easy to park aswell. I got it when I was 24 as my first car 3 years ago just to get me around and pass the driving test in. The insurance is dog cheap because its a 1 litre car. Send me a pm if interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I am selling my Nissan Micra gx car for €1500. Its a 99 car (black metalic colour) with 3 doors, airbars, cd/radio player, excellent condition, only 61000 miles on the clock, NcTed until Sept 09 and Taxed till October 09. Its a great first time car. Easy to park aswell. I got it when I was 24 as my first car 3 years ago just to get me around and pass the driving test in. The insurance is dog cheap because its a 1 litre car. Send me a pm if interested

black is always good. cancels out any chick vibes

Advertisement