Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mourne Wall Walk

Options
  • 02-12-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just to see if anyone has done the 32km Mourne Wall Wlk. Looks a smashing wall and would love to do it sometime next year. I believe there used be an organised event every year but due to it's popularity and the resulting erosion, it was subsequently stopped. Also, has anyone camped out overnight on the Mournes or are you aware of any issues with camping up there?

Cheers for any help on this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've thought about doing it a few times, but from what I can tell the logistics are a bit difficult with regard to parking, as the car park in the Silent Valley visitors centre where it starts closes quite early (6.30pm), and opens quite late (11.00am) , making it touch and go whether you could do it in one go. Alternative parking spots are a bit thin on the ground from what I can see. I reckon 7.5 hours would be pushing it some, as there are some quite steep ascents on the route.

I have heard of people doing it in two parts and camping part way but I don't know the details of where they camped, or what the regulations are in that rea, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Cheers Alun,

If I was to do it, it would definitely be over 2 days. I know it's a personal challenge but I'd rather enjoy the experience than spend the day chasing the clock. I'm sure I read about someone camping on the Mournes before, just not sure where..

I can ask someone I know, who I think did this, and if he didn't then they've certainly camped out in the Mournes on a two-day hike of some sort. I'll get back to you when/if I hear anything.

Alun wrote: »
    I can ask someone I know, who I think did this, and if he didn't then they've certainly camped out in the Mournes on a two-day hike of some sort. I'll get back to you when/if I hear anything.

Thanks for that - that would be great if you could do that.

I did it a few years ago, we parked at Carrick little and went clockwise when we reached the wall,
    Started at 7.00am finished at 7.20pm, didn't stop much at all, one break of about 20 mins, and a couple of 10mins breaks, well worth doing, but having said that, I don't think I would do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

I have heard of people doing it in two parts and camping part way but I don't know the details of where they camped, or what the regulations are in that rea, I'm afraid.

I done a two day hike in the Mourne's last Jnue, there is no problem camping in the area. Climbed Donnard and followed the wall for a bit of the way. Stunning place, going back again next summer I hope.

Bligh wrote: »
    I done a two day hike in the Mourne's last Jnue, there is no problem camping in the area. Climbed Donnard and followed the wall for a bit of the way. Stunning place, going back again next summer I hope.

Bligh - thanks for that, good to know that camping isn't a problem. Was up during the summer but just done Bloody Bridge to Donard and back. So much to see up there so reckon the circuit of the wall would be a good way to see the range.. Haven't camped out before when hiking so have plenty of research to do as regards a tent etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

no problem paulocon,
    Got myself a nice little vango banshee tent, 2 kg, weight just the bizz for 2 day hikes. Weight will be important if camping out so plenty of research recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's a small Car Park at the end of the Annalong Valley, tis only a km or so to the wall up the valley from there, I dunno how safe 'twould be to leave a white reged car parked overnight though

Thanks Bligh and Carawaystick - the vango banshee looks a nice wee tent, thanks for the suggestion.

Had wondered about parking alright but I suppose that's a risk you've got to take unfortunately!

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag an old thread up but having acquainted myself with the Mournes in the year since the original thread - going to give the Mourne Wall Walk a go in August. Decided to do it over 2 days to give us a chance to enjoy the experience so will camp overnight. Looks like we'll take our chances and park in Carrick Little car-park.

Having never camped before, looking for any advice as regards food to bring, water etc.. Going to get a Vango Banshee so if anyone know best place for prices, that would be great. Also, if anyone knows of a good spot to camp out up around Bearnagh/Commedagh, it would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

I'm not really into camping, but maybe if you dropped down a bit at Hare's Gap just after Slieve Bearnagh towards the end of the Trassey Track. There's some relatively flat ground there and a decent stream for water etc. I'd say that's as sheltered as you'll find around there.

By the way, I noticed further up the thread that I volunteered to ask someone I know about camping up there ... I did email them, but never heard back, sorry.

I'm not really into camping, but maybe if you dropped down a bit at Hare's Gap just after Slieve Bearnagh towards the end of the Trassey Track. There's some relatively flat ground there and a decent stream for water etc. I'd say that's as sheltered as you'll find around there.

By the way, I noticed further up the thread that I volunteered to ask someone I know about camping up there ... I did email them, but never heard back, sorry.

Cheers for that. Hare's Gap sounds like a good plan. Now just to find a good deal on camping gear!

Advertisement