Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics & Politics - Demnominated!

Options
  • 02-12-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Ok so thinking of doind this, anyone doing this course or is it the very same as doing arts?? thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I'd love to know the answer to this question too, if anybody knows. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Well it's denominated entry, so it really means that you're guaranteed entry into modules (i.e. no matter what unless you request a transfer out of the programme, you're guaranteed your pick of modules and will always be preselected for core modules in politics and economics). However, I don't get what you mean though by "is it the very same as doing arts" all arts subjects are different, there is in some respect some level of overlap between certain modules from different subjects but even then it is only marginal and it could be something so small as a name of a module and nothing else. Economics and politics would be fairly quantitative in their composition, so don't expect a strictly qualifitative experience that you might find in say history or sociology etc... and to be fair it's an arts degree like any other arts degree, so:
    Three years,
    About 12-16 hours/week of lectures, tutorials and seminars etc.,
    Afterwards you'll receive a BA on completion.
    As regards the course here's an outline.
    Remember;
    Politics = Subject,
    Subject = 4 Modules,
    Module = 5 Credits
    Subject = 20 Credits
    So given that this is denominated entry you'll be preselected in first year for what I believe to be 40 credits or a minimum number of modules required for progression in this course, and then the rest can be; a third subject or two minors or a minor and two electives.
    Hope this answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

El Siglo wrote: »
    Well it's denominated entry, so it really means that you're guaranteed entry into modules (i.e. no matter what unless you request a transfer out of the programme, you're guaranteed your pick of modules and will always be preselected for core modules in politics and economics). However, I don't get what you mean though by "is it the very same as doing arts" all arts subjects are different, there is in some respect some level of overlap between certain modules from different subjects but even then it is only marginal and it could be something so small as a name of a module and nothing else. Economics and politics would be fairly quantitative in their composition, so don't expect a strictly qualifitative experience that you might find in say history or sociology etc... and to be fair it's an arts degree like any other arts degree, so:
    Three years,
    About 12-16 hours/week of lectures, tutorials and seminars etc.,
    Afterwards you'll receive a BA on completion.
    As regards the course here's an outline.
    Remember;
    Politics = Subject,
    Subject = 4 Modules,
    Module = 5 Credits
    Subject = 20 Credits
    So given that this is denominated entry you'll be preselected in first year for what I believe to be 40 credits or a minimum number of modules required for progression in this course, and then the rest can be; a third subject or two minors or a minor and two electives.
    Hope this answers your question.

only took about how many months for a reply! thanks though! not going to ucd anymore, doing corporate law in nuig! but just to clear up what i meant about saying "was it the saem as arts" by that i meant was the economics and politics studied in this degree the same economics and politics that a student doing arts omnibus would be studying! but this is of no relevence to me now!! thanks for the reply anyway!!;)

Advertisement