Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4850 sooo hot :(

Options
  • 02-12-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

I got a GeCube 4850 a month or 2 ago.

At first it was idling around 60C or 70C then 80C under load. This is at default fan speed (20% i think). Gradually it started getting hotter and hotter and i had to increase the speed of the fan.

Its now at the stage where if the fan speed is anything less than 60% it will overheat during a game then restart the computer. Going well over 100C.
    I turn it up to 100% fan speed when im playing a game just to be safe now.

At 100% Its SO loud.

I tried adding some more paste onto the heatsink.
    I got 2 extra fans pointing straight at the card.
    No difference.

Should i return or maybe buy a new cooler.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Spunge wrote: »
    I got a GeCube 4850 a month or 2 ago.

At first it was idling around 60C or 70C then 80C under load. This is at default fan speed (20% i think). Gradually it started getting hotter and hotter and i had to increase the speed of the fan.

Its now at the stage where if the fan speed is anything less than 60% it will overheat during a game then restart the computer. Going well over 100C.
    I turn it up to 100% fan speed when im playing a game just to be safe now.

At 100% Its SO loud.

I got 2 extra fans pointing straight at the card.
    No difference.

Should i return or maybe buy a new cooler.

The standard temp for a 4850 or a 4870 is 80 degrees....
    (they run very hot)

The fan should throttle up and keep the gfx card at around that temp.

What case do you have?

Also what do you mean by adding MORE paste: did you clean of the original paste?

Or id you simply add another layer of paste onto the stuff that was already there?
    (because if you did it this way: too much thermal paste will insulate and increase temps NOT reduce them!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How much is more? 2 much paste will give high temps, basically what you'd need for a gpu is less than the size of the head of a match

You could try Ati Tray Tools, (although its a beta its very stable, its what I'm using on Vista64). It has great fan control, you can set the speed and also set the temperatures for these speeds unlike other fan control utilities. As ATT contains all the settings in Catalyst Control Centre, you can uninstall CCC and just use the Ati driver on its own. You can create seperate fan/overclock profiles for each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I bought a 4850 when they came out first. It ran at about 85 degrees at full load.
    Since i got this card it has been at full load sas i use Folding at Home.
    Last week i noticed my temps were now at 105 degrees, i took the heatsink off and noticed that the heatsink was clogged with dust. When i cleaned this my temps went back down to 85 degrees. You might have a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had been having loads of trouble with my HD4870 when I was playing some games. Fallout 3 was virtually unplayable as it kept crashing frequently. I googled the problem and as stated above it's a heat problem.

Since I went into the Catalyst Control Centre and took over manual control of the card it hasn't crashed but - it's noisy as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I find setting the fan control at 45% is perfect for gaming.Idle at default is approx 80c.
    Bit loud but it keeps my X2 at around 50c.
    My brother on the other hand has a 4870. Sapphire as well.
    His idling temps are around 45c without touching any settings and his chassis is the Antec 900.
    Even running games it still only goes to about 65c (all without touching the fan control) so it's a fantastic chassis for cooling..seriously thinking about getting one or the 1200 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

In the end it was an impenetrable layer of dust.

Couldnt figure out how to get the fan part off the heatsink so just blew through it.
    After the card overheating at 100% fan speed i took it completely apart and a line if dust was blocking any air from getting to the fan part.

Does this happen to all cards or just ATI ?
    my x1950 pro had the same problem.

Maybe my house its just coz my house is filthy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

In the end it was an impenetrable layer of dust.

Couldnt figure out how to get the fan part off the heatsink so just blew through it.
    After the card overheating at 100% fan speed i took it completely apart and a line if dust was blocking any air from getting to the fan part.

Does this happen to all cards or just ATI ?
    my x1950 pro had the same problem.

Maybe my house its just coz my house is filthy :P

Can happen with any CPU or graphics card cooler.

9/10 if you laptop starts crashing due to heat: opening it up and removing all the dust, ciggie ash, human hair etc does the trick :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I find setting the fan control at 45% is perfect for gaming.Idle at default is approx 80c.
    Bit loud but it keeps my X2 at around 50c.
    His idling temps are around 45c without touching any settings and his chassis is the Antec 900.
    Even running games it still only goes to about 65c (all without touching the fan control) so it's a fantastic chassis for cooling..seriously thinking about getting one or the 1200 series.
    Antec make great cases by the look of it, and the 900 was the one I had recommended to my cousin for its awesome cooling abilities and relatively good sound dampening.

A good combatant against dust might be to add some fan filters to your pc. Check to see if komplett or anyone sells pc fan-filters. I know in the US they are found in a fair amount of places. gotta think about dust protection for all the other odds and ends too like case grilles and other intakes.

http://www.google.com/products?q=pc+air+filter&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd

Those should help tackle both noise and dust. Hopefully leading to an overall cooler, quieter, and happier pc (and you)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust#Domestic_dust

Hmnnn somethings not right here. My idle temp with the Antec 900 and a Sapphire HD4870 is a silly 65c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Ive Gainward 4850 crossfire and they idle at 40c with 50% fan speed.

Never had any problems with overheating

Quite as a mouse even when running Crysis at full wack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hmnnn somethings not right here. My idle temp with the Antec 900 and a Sapphire HD4870 is a silly 65c.
    like i said, environment dust might be a major factor. most especially circulation around the area of the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got a 4870 1GB today, the Club3d OC model. After 30 minutes of Left 4 Dead a maxed out settings, and in a small, cramped matx case, it was hitting 60c. Not bad. It doesn't have the reference cooler that pushes air outside the case, just a heatsink and fan, which I thought would be a negative thing considering my case, but it seems to do a great job. A little noisy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Left 4 Dead doesn't really test it, its an old engine revamped, try Far Cry2 or Crysis Warhead for a decent test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well by max settings I mean 1920x1200 max in-game options, with 8x MSAA and 16x AF. This is well capable of pushing the 4870 in a few instances. Also played COD:WAW today at the same settings, no problem, was playing for a few hours. Don't have Warhead or FC2...yet. :)

Overheal wrote: »
    like i said, environment dust might be a major factor. most especially circulation around the area of the pc.

Hmnnn I wouldn't have thought circulation was a problem. It's in the living room which has a tiled floor and there is good space in front of and to the rear of the case. I'll put it up on the desk for a few hours and see if it makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

What kind of power supply would you recommend getting if i was to upgrade my graphics card to the 4870? Would a new power supply fit in a XPS case?

Advertisement