Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

• 02-12-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

I think its safe to say he's been a flop so far. I see Benitez has come out defending him again today but the stats don't read well for him: Since July he's scored 4 times and been substituted in 15 games.
    I never rated him that highly as a player so maybe it was inevitable he'd flop at a big club.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

In my opinion he hasn't played in his best position much for Liverpool,

He is a supporting striker - ideal for Torres - and they havnt had much time with the latter being injured

It doesnt work with kuyt - as kuyt is off doing what keane likes to do, Keane left on his own - and that is not his game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Liverpool is too big a club for him. He doesn't have the bottle to deal with the pressure of the club. He'll be gone by the end of the season, if not sooner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He is a supporting striker - ideal for Torres - and they havnt had much time with the latter being injured

It doesnt work with kuyt - as kuyt is shit
    Completely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

too early to say he's a flop imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Far too early to judge. As Crouch before people said he was a flop before Christmas and this year before he left everyone was saying he should never have been sold. The end of the season will be a better judge of him. We should wait till then. If he flops then he flops but right now he needs confidence and he needs support.

• Advertisement

When are we meant to judge? Hes been playing over 4 months now, starting in most games. Surely we should be seeing a better return?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Don't know if I would class him as a flop yet I will give him until the end of the season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Liverpool is too big a club for him. He doesn't have the bottle to deal with the pressure of the club. He'll be gone by the end of the season, if not sooner!

Jesus, where to begin... :eek:

If i got a new job and performed rubbish it in for several months i'd be out on my ear. The boss wouldn't say, "maybe he'll do better next year". These guys are full time professionals being paid huge money. If he doesn't start performing and scoring regularly he WILL be shown the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

His next 2 matches are against Blackburn and Hull. If he cannot score in these 2 matches he won't score again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If Liverpool were doing badly it would be more of an issue but they're not so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ill judge him properly when he's had a run of games with Torres beside him, and not before. Valuations are a funny thing anyway, what do they really mean? Does his price being the same as Torres make them equal players?

Rather then worry about his success V his price, its probably a better idea to judge him on his success as a partner to Torres, the purpose for which he was most likely purchased. I think he will turn out to be a decent buy in the long run, but playing up front on his own so much really has'nt helped him. He's simply not built for the role, being blessed with neither speed nor stature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If i got a new job and performed rubbish it in for several months i'd be out on my ear. The boss wouldn't say, "maybe he'll do better next year".

But if the boss wasn't letting you do the job you were qualified for and was sending you home early on several occasions then you would merit a good deal of sympathy surely?

I felt he would struggle in the initial stages but come good eventually and I still think this will prove to be the case. Being substituted so often however isn't helpful as he needs to be given the chance to properly settle in.

It's funny though because I was criticised by a few Liverpool fans last season when I suggested Liverpool should have gone for Jermain Defoe who, I was told, wasn't good enough to be a Liverpool player. I wonder if those same fans would hold that view today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Far too early to judge. As Crouch before people said he was a flop before Christmas and this year before he left everyone was saying he should never have been sold. The end of the season will be a better judge of him. We should wait till then. If he flops then he flops but right now he needs confidence and he needs support.

Crouch is an entirely different player to Keane mind - he is a true targetman and targetmen improve with age. Just look at Niall Quinn or Chris Illumino as other true examples (just off the top of my head).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Did Liverpool really need Keane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

He's played in every premiership game so far and has 2 goals against the bottom of the table team. He's definitely been a flop so far, but I wouldn't bet against him turning it around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ill judge him properly when he's had a run of games with Torres beside him, and not before.

who are we dropping then?

i really want keane to do well but just cant see it happening. hes not a good enough player for liverpool and certainly isnt worth £20m
    id LOVE to be wrong, so lets hope so :D

Quint wrote: »
    He's played in every premiership game so far and has 2 goals against the bottom of the table team. He's definitely been a flop so far, but I wouldn't bet against him turning it around.

It may be a little premature to say but I think he has peaked...

Jazzy wrote: »
    who are we dropping then?

i really want keane to do well but just cant see it happening. hes not a good enough player for liverpool and certainly isnt worth £20m
    id LOVE to be wrong, so lets hope so :D

as i've said on a fair few threads, it works out fairly nicely really.

For most home games, and the easier away games;
    Kuyt--Alonso--Gerrard--Riera
    Keane--Torres

Simply no need for Masch in those games (as there wasnt last night for instance).

For somewhat tougher games, Masch could replace Alonso or Gerrard. For probably half the ones Gerrard is replaced, he'll take up Keane's spot, with him being dropped.

For really tough games, the 3 CM's all play with Torres up top on his own with Gerrard both supporting, but also spending time when necessary back in CM. For some of these Keane if needed to be used as sub, or else fill the odd game (very few over the course of a season) in Kuyts inside attacking role in the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

Theres a huge amount of games and plenty of permutations to allow both Torres and Keane to play on the same pitch at the same time.

This becomes even more when you factor in injuries to any of the midfield.

But if the boss wasn't letting you do the job you were qualified for and was sending you home early on several occasions then you would merit a good deal of sympathy surely?

His job is a striker for Liverpool, amazingly similiar to his job as striker for Spurs. Anyone would think he's been asked to do the plumbing around Anfield stadium or something!
    As for being subbed regularly, if Liverpool needs a goal and the existing formation looks unlikely to produce it then someone needs to make way for a sub. Keane has had loads of great chances to score which he has blown. He often times looks irritable towards his teammates and the ref when something doesnt go his way. Rafa, correctly imo takes him off to make way for another forward in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

It doesnt work with kuyt - as kuyt is off doing what keane likes to do, Keane left on his own - and that is not his game
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IMO he was the wrong type striker for the wrong club. Woulda been great for Arsenal maybe. He's a supporting striker, thats his natural role. Even when Torres is fit, its tough for him to develop a partnership because Gerrard is there too. Either him or Gerrard has to be shifted to the wing. If you are going to shift him to the wing, why not just buy a winger in the first place?

Then again, he's done okish so far, despite the circumstances. And he is massively, massively, a second half of the season player, massively. So I wouldn't write him off yet, hes smart enough to adjust his game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, wat PHB said :p

there is a long time till may and if im wrong then c'est la vie - it will all be good anyway. i still dont see why we just didnt get robbie and went for a top class winger instead tho. rafa has an awful habit of playing strikers on the wing for no good reason (cisse, kuyt, babel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Crouch is an entirely different player to Keane mind - he is a true targetman and targetmen improve with age. Just look at Niall Quinn or Chris Illumino as other true examples (just off the top of my head).
    Who the **** is Chris Illumino?

PHB wrote: »
    Either him or Gerrard has to be shifted to the wing. If you are going to shift him to the wing, why not just buy a winger in the first place?

not necesssarily, Gerrard can be moved to center midfield with torres and Keane up front. As I said above, there are many many games per season where we would probably be better off going for a 2 man midfield of Gerrard and Alonso, as Mascherano's defensive talents are simply not needed since he tend to have sooo much posession against the weaker teams.

Gerrard absolutely needs to up his game again to how he was earlier in the season though, he's been having mares the past few weeks regardless whether he's been in the hole or in CM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if all Liverpools players are fully fit i dont see why they dont play the following

.............Mascherano......Alonso..........

Gerrard..............Keane............Riera
    .......................Torres.................

really harsh on Kuyt i know but the above is nice and Dirk would def be rotated in a hell of a lot like bable but with more starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why is Keane's lack of goals in the spotlight so much more than Rooney's? Rooney only has 6. Keane has 4. Jesus Tevez has 1. Keane and Rooney have 4 assists each too.

cos a new signing especially a striker is judged more harshly and always on their goal return be that fair or not in the players case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

why isnt berbatov getting the same bad press as keane? he has only got 2 premier league goals this season.....

• Advertisement

because rooney and Tevez are fit, Berbs isnt their only proven prem striker available

fullstop wrote: »

Sorry mate, just wish a 'search engine' of some sort was invented to make this whole internet malark easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

why isnt berbatov getting the same bad press as keane? he has only got 2 premier league goals this season.....

13 games 6 goals 6 assists

Stats arn't actually that bad.

I think it is widely accepted by United fans that Berbatov as well as United are under performing.

Might also have to do with the mentality of some Liverpool supporters, Booing your own team who just went top of the league is moronic.

tbh in general liverpool fans havent turned on Keane, they do think that he isnt worth his price tag but then again they paid what they had to not what they wanted to. because he is Ireland captain he is under a bigger microscope too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

tbh in general liverpool fans havent turned on Keane, they do think that he isnt worth his price tag but then again they paid what they had to not what they wanted to. because he is Ireland captain he is under a bigger microscope too

I still can't understand why they felt the need to buy Keane and especially at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Today is 2 December 2008. We have yet to play:

23 league games
    3 - 8 Champions league games
    1 - 6 FA Cup games (discounting replays)

It's a little early to be penning the Liverpool obituary of Robbie Keane wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If i got a new job and performed rubbish it in for several months i'd be out on my ear. The boss wouldn't say, "maybe he'll do better next year". These guys are full time professionals being paid huge money. If he doesn't start performing and scoring regularly he WILL be shown the door!
    But you'd hope your boss had the intelligence to see that you have a long history of performing in the same environment and that with a bit of time you'd adjust, and at the very least afford you one season to make a decision either way.

Are you talking about their style of play there? :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Today is 2 December 2008. We have yet to play:

23 league games
    3 - 8 Champions league games
    1 - 6 FA Cup games (discounting replays)

It's a little early to be penning the Liverpool obituary of Robbie Keane wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

I would also presume he's on more than a 1 season contract!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

fullstop wrote: »

A bastard mix of the Scot from Wolves and Manuel Aluminia.

I think Keane-Torres was starting to show promise before his injury, he has been very unlucky in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Gareth37 wrote: »
    His next 2 matches are against Blackburn and Hull. If he cannot score in these 2 matches he won't score again :D

Hull?!!? I wouldnt bet on a fully fit and in form Torres (or Ronaldo, or Rooney, or anyone) to definitely score vs Hull tbh. Hull are to the prem what Turkey were to the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

shane86 wrote: »
    Hull?!!? I wouldnt bet on a fully fit and in form Torres (or Ronaldo, or Rooney, or anyone) to definitely score vs Hull tbh. Hull are to the prem what Turkey were to the Euros.

Defensively they're not up to much though. They haven't kept a clean sheet in a good while and have been on the end of a few hammerings. Looking at the fixtures you'd fancy Keane to get a few goals if he gets playing time. If he doesn't the pressure will really begin to mount when January rolls around.

Maybe Liverpool could make a move for Kevin Doyle and leave Keane on the bench. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I wouldn't go as far as saying keane is a flop too early to say it's not inconcievable Robbie could get 12 or 13 goals from now in
    Keane was never gonna score 20+ goals a season and Liverpool paid a crazy price for him but nots not his vault probably worth 8-12 million to be fair
    I do feel sorry for him there have been times he has been taken off prematurely but as we all know he can and hopefully will do better

have to admit though, the 20mill sounds a bit much when you look at Madrid potentially getting Huntelaar for 17m. Id have taken that deal in a second. Though he'd never have come id say, never seemed to have any interest in England, same as Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I wouldn't go as far as saying keane is a flop too early to say it's not inconcievable Robbie could get 12 or 13 goals from now in
    Keane was never gonna score 20+ goals a season and Liverpool paid a crazy price for him but nots not his vault probably worth 8-12 million to be fair
    I do feel sorry for him there have been times he has been taken off prematurely but as we all know he can and hopefully will do better

He scored 23 last season so who knows especially being in a team with better service to the frontmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

worth noting on Revista last night they were talking about Huntelaar & they said, all scouts managers who see him note the same thing.....apart from scoring goals, he offers nothing to the team & really cannot do anything else.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    have to admit though, the 20mill sounds a bit much when you look at Madrid potentially getting Huntelaar for 17m. Id have taken that deal in a second. Though he'd never have come id say, never seemed to have any interest in England, same as Benzema.
    I don't know why people keep going on about his price tag. Everybody knows it's too much. He's still a quality player. The same thing happened when Utd. bought Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr Alan wrote: »
    worth noting on Revista last night they were talking about Huntelaar & they said, all scouts managers who see him note the same thing.....apart from scoring goals, he offers nothing to the team & really cannot do anything else.

As a striker does it matter if all he can do is score goals? :confused:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    True, but certain Strikers when they don't score themselves will set up a goals for team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Huntelaar observation is spot on. He wont score 30 in spain against stronger defences like in his mickey mouse native league. Probably why his name has been mebtioned for 3-4 years yet nobody has risked buying him in that time. Real Madrid are desperate at the moment for someone eligible for champions league so that could of been the best they could get in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi6 wrote: »

yes, it matters a great deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Mr Alan wrote: »

Sounds like a ready made replacement for van niestelroy so! Although I doubt he'll be as prolific it really is a massive step up from the dutch league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement