Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sounds like a ready made replacement for van niestelroy so! Although I doubt he'll be as prolific it really is a massive step up from the dutch league.

actually, they were saying that he isnt. They commented that Ruud has shown he was a much more complete footballer when he moved to Real, offering more than just goals.

I cant comment, dont really watch much Spanish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As a striker does it matter if all he can do is score goals? :confused:

If your expectation is 15 or less goals a year then, yes, it matters hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Mr Alan wrote: »
    actually, they were saying that he isnt. They commented that Ruud has shown he was a much more complete footballer when he moved to Real, offering more than just goals.

I cant comment, dont really watch much Spanish football.

Like you i dont get to see as much spanish soccer as i used to but unless he has changed a great deal i dont ever remember van nisterooy as exactly been a grafter more of a poacher, i think in fairness to madrid though this was the best signing they could make if being eligible for CL was a key for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

back onto Keane, worth noting that up until Torres got injured again, most Liverpool fans were very happy with him after great performances against Everton & Utd in his first few games.

I think he'll be alright. He'll score around 15 this year in total. Which is all that can really be expected of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Keane played his best afaik when partnered with Berbatov, who is a very different type of player to Torres, and when partnered with Duff. He hasn't been outstanding outside of those partnerships I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It is far too early to judge Keane. There is no doubting that he has disappointed thus far however.

No one has the slightest idea as to what plans that Rafa has for Keane. I personally think that he has been signed to play in the hole behind Torres so that Gerard can sit deeper in midfield alongside Alonso or Masch in 75% of our matches, as below:

Torres
    Riera
    Keane
    Kuyt
    Alonso/Masch
    Gerard

I don't think that there has been more than 2 or 3 games this season where both Torres and Gerard were both available and fully match fit.

What has been happening, is that Keane has actually ended up playing the most matches of any of our players this season, thus appearing to have been given ample oppurtunity to impress, but ultimately been played in every position other than what Rafa has actually bought him for.

Speaking personally, once Torres comes back from injury, has 5 or 6 matches under his belt and is back to full match fitness, you will exactly where Keane fits into Rafa's plans. It is from then on that Keane's purchase can be properly assessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Cess won't see the best of Keane untill they git rid of that negative dunce Benitez...of the two I'd wager Keane is already regretting his move more than his dodgy manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just start Babel with Keane and see what happens. Thats all Im asking Rafa.

Let Gerrard be ever so slightly deeper if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No one has the slightest idea as to what plans that Rafa has for Keane.

I don't even think Rafa knows.

You could have spent the money much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

noodler wrote: »
    Just start Babel with Keane and see what happens. Thats all Im asking Rafa.

sooo many times i've prayed this would appear on the starting linup, but alas no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

United fan here and I think to say Keane has bean a flop is a little harsh. I think hes played quite well, just seems to have lost his shooting boots. His effort and application have been top rate (apart from his ref baiting), and I don't think substituting him in every game is doing much for his confidence. How many would he have scored if he completed every match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I don't even think Rafa knows.

You could have spent the money much better.

I don't exactly disagree with you so far but I think it is safe to assume that Rafa bought him with an idea how he would fit in with Gerard and Torres. Considering that Torres has been either injured or returning for injury the whole season and Gerard has had 2 or 3 injuries, I don't think that it is unreasonable to suggest that he should be judged when the two lads have been available for an extended period and are not trying to regain match fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep going on about his price tag. Everybody knows it's too much. He's still a quality player. The same thing happened when Utd. bought Ferdinand.

Ferdinand is arguably the best English footballer in any position (tied with Rooney, but if pushed....probably a better defender than Rooney is a striker.....if that makes sense :) ) He is worth an obscene amount of money. Keane, so far, is not. But as said, I think he needs to be given a chance, his partnership with Torres was finally showing promise until he got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

shane86 wrote: »
    Ferdinand is arguably the best English footballer in any position (tied with Rooney, but if pushed....probably a better defender than Rooney is a striker.....if that makes sense :) ) He is worth an obscene amount of money. Keane, so far, is not. But as said, I think he needs to be given a chance, his partnership with Torres was finally showing promise until he got injured.

No it doesnt but then neither does the rest of your post, Ferdinand isnt even the best English CB never mind their best footballer, and as for Rooney he isnt exactly the most prolific about on a par with Keane this season id imagine!

No it doesnt but then neither does the rest of your post, Ferdinand isnt even the best English CB never mind their best footballer, and as for Rooney he isnt exactly the most prolific about on a par with Keane this season id imagine!

:confused:

So, pray tell, who is the best defender available for national team selection? Rio, Wes Brown and Terry are the only regularly played English defenders in the top 4.

As for Rooney being on a par with Keane, didnt Rooney go like 7 games in a row scoring lately?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

you never said "best defender available for national team selection" you said "Ferdinand is arguably the best English footballer in any position" which is a silly statement really.

mayordenis wrote: »
    you never said "best defender available for national team selection" you said "Ferdinand is arguably the best English footballer in any position" which is a silly statement really.

How?

All the attention is on strikers. Look at all these world player of the year awards and such, always forwards nominated. Football is about alot more than scoring classy goals. IMO in the same way Shay Given is the best player on the Irish squad, Rio is arguably the best player England can select (and the fact he has a decent goal scoring record for a defender is another plus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

How?

All the attention is on strikers. Look at all these world player of the year awards and such, always forwards nominated. Football is about alot more than scoring classy goals. IMO in the same way Shay Given is the best player on the Irish squad, Rio is arguably the best player England can select (and the fact he has a decent goal scoring record for a defender is another plus)

rio ferdinand has a decent goal scoring record,for a defender ??? is that some sort of sick joke?! hes with utd 6 years and scored only 6 goals, considering hes up for every corner...i wouldnt call that decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think you missed the point of my post. I was just saying that at the time of Ferdinand's signing everybody just kept harping on about how much he was signed for and that he wasn't worth it.

Rio is arguably the best player England can select (and the fact he has a decent goal scoring record for a defender is another plus)
    You've just embarrassed yourself with that post Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Feck Keane, If I was Scouse inclined I would be more worried about Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Joke post?

Rio worth 30m then?

Lets not kid ourselves that Keane was plucked from obscurity here. He has had around 3 or 4 consecutive seasons averaging around 20 goals per season, a rake of assists and generally looking very classy.

He was worth around 15 when we bought him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Boggles wrote: »
    Feck Keane, If I was Scouse inclined I would be more worried about Torres.
    Indeed.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1204/torresf.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Looks like Keane is set for the bench today. I reckon it is going to be his new home unless he starts scoring some goals. For all the work he does he needs to score more. So far I think Benitez he been more forgiving because Liverpool are top but I reckon when Liverpool slip from the top Benitez will bench him if things dont improve.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1713/liverpool/2008/12/06/998627/goal-shy-robbie-keane-set-for-liverpool-bench

06/12/2008 09:20

Goal Shy Robbie Keane Set For Liverpool Bench

Robbie Keane looks set for a spot of bench warming this afternoon.
    Rafael Benitez appears to be running out of patience with £20.3 million striker Robbie Keane and has confirmed he cannot guarantee the Irishman a place in his starting lineup.

Keane joined the Reds from Tottenham Hotspur over the summer but has struggled for goals since arriving at Anfield and has managed only two in the Premier League so far this season.

The former Spurs man has also found himself repeatedly substituted by his manager and his disbelief at finding himself replaced again during Liverpool’s goalless draw with West Ham United on Monday night was evident.

However, according to his manager Keane may need to get used to watching from the sidelines as Benitez confirmed his striker was not an automatic first team choice.

According to The Guardian, the Liverpool manager said: “He is working hard as always in training and practicing in every training session but I cannot guarantee a position to anyone, we have to win.”

Benitez’s side face Blackburn Rovers today and Keane is expected to start the game from the bench, with the Reds’ boss clearly growing frustrated with the situation.

“He is in the same situation as the rest of the players. We can talk about 10 or 15 players who cost more than £20m in other teams, and you can see two or three of them on the bench every week and people don’t talk about them all the time,” snapped the Spaniard, “But for me, it’s not a question of the value of the player. To me he’s just another player and that’s it.”

Despite Keane’s lack of goals, the Reds still top the Premier League table, and Benitez appears confident his striker can improve as the season progresses. He explained: “The best way to support him is to talk about what he can improve and what he can do.”

With Fernando Torres out injured, Liverpool must look elsewhere for goals and with Keane misfiring, Benitez is believed to be considering turning to Dirk Kuyt and Yossi Benayoun for today’s encounter.

I dont see anything there saying he'll be on the bench. he just said that he has to fight for his place same as everyone else. He said the same about Torres within the past few weeks, nothing new here....and its goal.com...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

your havin a laugh

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dont see anything there saying he'll be on the bench. he just said that he has to fight for his place same as everyone else. He said the same about Torres within the past few weeks, nothing new here....and its goal.com...

Would you agree that Benitez has perhaps been more patient with Keane considering Liverpool are top of the league ? I personally believe that if Liverpool had been sitting in perhaps third/fourth then he would have already started to play Keane less. Subbed 15 times in 18 games sounds a bit worrying and Keane looked disappointed coming off against west-ham on monday night. I believe the goals will come eventully, hopefully in time for the february world cup qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Steven Gerrard is the best English footballer. And i will fight anyone who says otherwise. Come back to me when Ferdinand or Rooney carry a team almost single handedly to numerous trophy wins.
    His goal in the FA cup final was just ridiculous. I've rarely seen anything like it and with Gerrard it's not an isolated incident.

Anyway, on Keane, i would bench him today and give Babel a go up front. Not holding my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Keane is really annoying me with his reactions to being subbed. I think the media have taken on board his 15 substitutions as an excuse for his poor form. As if 70 minutes in 20 games isn't ample game time. Unfortunately i think Keane might be believing that press.

redout wrote: »
    Would you agree that Benitez has perhaps been more patient with Keane considering Liverpool are top of the league ? I personally believe that if Liverpool had been sitting in perhaps third/fourth then he would have already started to play Keane less. Subbed 15 times in 18 games sounds a bit worrying and Keane looked disappointed coming off against west-ham on monday night. I believe the goals will come eventully, hopefully in time for the february world cup qualifiers.

did exactly the same thing with Peter Crouch. We weren't top of the league then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Steven Gerrard is the best English footballer. And i will fight anyone who says otherwise. Come back to me when Ferdinand or Rooney carry a team almost single handedly to numerous trophy wins.
    His goal in the FA cup final was just ridiculous. I've rarely seen anything like it and with Gerrard it's not an isolated incident.

Anyway, on Keane, i would bench him today and give Babel a go up front. Not holding my breath though.

should it really take one man to single handedly beat f*cking west ham...

christ all mighty

• Advertisement

Keane is really annoying me with his reactions to being subbed. I think the media have taken on board his 15 substitutions as an excuse for his poor form. As if 70 minutes in 20 games isn't ample game time. Unfortunately i think Keane might be believing that press.

if you were robbie keane

you're at home against west poxy ham

it's 0 0 there's no really naturally talented striker on the bench

and you're taken off?

was that not one of the most retarded descisions of the year?

can you explain why he _wouldn't_ be pissed off

it's not like he's walzting around doing shag all he works very hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

You don't think Ngog is naturally talented? Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

podge018 wrote: »
    You don't think Ngog is naturally talented? Why not?

Because he can't kick snow off a rope probably.

Robbie Keane: Never plays his best stuff before Christmas, even at Spurs it was February/March before he really started banging in goals. If I was a Liverpool fan I would both have patience with Robbie Keane and hate myself for being a Liverpool fan.

I would be more than happy to back Keane to score 12 or more Premier League goals this season for Liverpool.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

BBC are saying Keane does start on the bench.

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Insua, Benayoun, Mascherano, Alonso, Babel, Gerrard, Kuyt. Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Keane, Riera, Leiva Lucas, El Zhar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Draupnir wrote: »
    Robbie Keane: Never plays his best stuff before Christmas, even at Spurs it was February/March before he really started banging in goals. If I was a Liverpool fan I would both have patience with Robbie Keane and hate myself for being a Liverpool fan.

There's some truth in that, except for last season where he 12 goals scored by this point, and where he had a sh1t end to the season.

Keane scores in bursts, he'll often go 7/8 games at various stages of a season without a sniff of a goal then follow that with a goal a game for maybe another 8. He needs patience, and he needs time to regain his confidence...bench time and being subbed after 60 minutes won't help with that.

Rafa has spent a lot of money on Keane, he really should persevere with him regardless of goals scored. He will come good.

Because he can't kick snow off a rope probably.

why would you say that? He done better than Keane did v West Ham.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ntlbell wrote: »
    should it really take one man to single handedly beat f*cking west ham...

christ all mighty

It should if your squad is rubbish.

I mean, Liverpool's squad is rubbish no? That's what people tell us all the time...?

By scoring more goals than him? Oh wait...

Any time I've seen Ngog in a game, about 5 times this year, he has looked like a natural goalscorer to at all.Keane is without doubt a natural goalscorer, I'm not sure he fits into the style of play that Liverpool are playing at the moment at all.

Looks like Kuyt is up front today according to Setanta, this could be very interesting. Blackburn have all their ball breakers in midfield, Andrews is recalled, its goiung to be tough for Liverpool to score.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »

I mean, Liverpool's squad is rubbish no? That's what people tell us all the time...?

Liverpool definitely have a very restrictive squad, their bench today is very weak

By scoring more goals than him? Oh wait...

no, by playing better than him.

no, by playing better than him.

On most indicators he did as little as Keane, like scoring goals or creating goals, and such and such.

I'm suppose one could argue that Ngog did a better job because he cost less per goal not scored than Keane did, but I'll leave that to others to expand on.

it's rubbish compared to other teams

it's not rubbish compared to west fecking ham

it's rubbish compared to other teams

it's not rubbish compared to west fecking ham

I don't know about that.. I've often been told on this forum that Liverpool player X,Y, and Z would struggle to get into a Championship team, I just assume our squad is rubbish and aren't in with a shout for any trophies. Makes it bizarre to me that people go so crazy around here when Liverpool don't get results.. as if good results are somehow expected of them even though half the squad is apparently useless.

I don't know about that.. I've often been told on this forum that Liverpool player X,Y, and Z would struggle to get into a Championship team, I just assume our squad is rubbish and aren't in with a shout for any trophies. Makes it bizarre to me that people go so crazy around here when Liverpool don't get results.. as if good results are somehow expected of them even though half the squad is apparently useless.

Half the squad aren't useless, that's outrageous, but half the squad are certainly not top 4 Premier League level.

• Advertisement

Half the squad aren't useless, that's outrageous, but half the squad are certainly not top 4 Premier League level.

I can only go on what I hear..

Mascherano, Donkey.
    Arbeloa, Donkey.
    Benayoun, Donkey.
    Babel, Donkey.
    Keane, Donkey.
    Dossena, Donkey.
    Lucas, Donkey.
    Kuyt, Hard Working Donkey.

that's a lot of Donkeys right there. Why anyone is surprised that a team of donkeys need spectaculars against the likes of West Ham in an FA cup final I do not know...

People go crazy?

You mean they comment in threads when they lose a match?

hardly going crazy.

Just because you're not in with a chance of winning anything doesn't mean you're not better than X amount of the premiership it's irrelevant....

Liverpool's squad is better than X amount of teams and it's worse than X amount of teams

and if i was a liverpool fan i wouldn't consntantly point out how great the team was on the basis that they beat a team in the X amount they're far better than in a point to prove how great a player/team is

just because your squad is a lot worse than others in the prem doesn't mean you should struggle against teams with much worse squads regardless of what people going crazy in liverpool threads say you have eyes.

no you can go on your eyes and stop acting like a child?

Mascherano, Donkey.
    Arbeloa, Donkey.
    Benayoun, Donkey.
    Babel, Donkey.
    Keane, Donkey.
    Dossena, Donkey.
    Lucas, Donkey.
    Kuyt, Hard Working Donkey.

that's a lot of Donkeys right there. Why anyone is surprised that a team of donkeys need spectaculars against the likes of West Ham in an FA cup final I do not know...

Mascherano and Keane are not donkeys, the rest......well lets just say they wouldn't look out of place on Brighton Promenade.

no you can go on your eyes and stop acting like a child?

I'm deadly serious.

The only trophy Liverpool are in with a genuine shout of is the Championship, the season after they get relegated.

Anything else is a surprising bonus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement