Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CATALYTIC CONVERTER buy or not to buy

Options
  • 02-12-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I am female and hate being ripped off! My catalytic converter is gone in my car and I got quoted €300.00 to replace. I can buy the part in the UK for €76.00 (£63.99). The thing is if I buy it how much will it cost me to get a garage man to fit?

My car is a 1998 Renault Megane 1.6 (I know its crap but it gets me from A to B). I live in theChurchtown D14.

:) Cheers fella's... :pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Hey guys,

I am female and hate being ripped off! My catalytic converter is gone in my car and I got quoted €300.00 to replace. I can buy the part in the UK for €76.00 (£63.99). The thing is if I buy it how much will it cost me to get a garage man to fit?

My car is a 1998 Renault Megane 1.6 (I know its crap but it gets me from A to B). I live in theChurchtown D14.

:) Cheers fella's... :pac:

The price of fitting it will depend on the part you get,some cats are car specific as in to suite your car with the flanges/fittings on the pipe,other cats are just universal,litterly the cat on ts own and would have to be welded into place,if it can be just bolted in it shouldnt be expensive to fit,if it has to be welded in it will be more expensive..

NB/ You shouldnt assume all garages are out to cod you,just because you are a female:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Was €300 from a main dealer , usually places like quick fit are much cheaper and can fit spurious cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭uturnin6weeks

Barr wrote: »
    Was €300 from a main dealer , usually places like quick fit are much cheaper and can fit spurious cats.

Nope it was from a normal garage in Sandyford (as in not a dealer).. €300.00 was everything with VAT included...

thetyreman wrote: »
    The price of fitting it will depend on the part you get,some cats are car specific as in to suite your car with the flanges/fittings on the pipe,other cats are just universal,litterly the cat on ts own and would have to be welded into place,if it can be just bolted in it shouldnt be expensive to fit,if it has to be welded in it will be more expensive..

NB/ You shouldnt assume all garages are out to cod you,just because you are a female:)

I know but you know sometimes when I go into a garage they think I haven't a clue and kinda talk down to you...

Cheers for your help.. Do you think if I made sure it was the exact CAT for the car it will be ok to buy?

I know but you know sometimes when I go into a garage they think I haven't a clue and kinda talk down to you...

Cheers for your help.. Do you think if I made sure it was the exact CAT for the car it will be ok to buy?

Eitherway it will be ok to buy,but if its to suite your car specifically it will be cheaper to get fitted.I have a feeling though for that price it is just a universal cat and will have to be welded into place.can you post a pic of the cat you are looking at.to get it welded in you could be charged anything from 80euro/120euro.and the other way would probably cost around 30/40..

• Advertisement

thetyreman wrote: »
    Eitherway it will be ok to buy,but if its to suite your car specifically it will be cheaper to get fitted.I have a feeling though for that price it is just a universal cat and will have to be welded into place.can you post a pic of the cat you are looking at.to get it welded in you could be charged anything from 80euro/120euro.and the other way would probably cost around 30/40..

Cool thanks for the info.... this is the pic...

7204_1.JPG

:)Yea just bolts on,but places prices can differ,shouldnt be to dear to get fitted/

Advertisement