Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's been your favourite module?

Options
  • 02-12-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Well with the first semester now drawing to its official close, what has been everyone's favourite class or subject?

For me it would have to be my Creative Writing course which I took as my elective. Each week the classes were relaxed and enjoyable and I feel I've learned a lot about how to write. I can now look back on stuff I did prior to doing the course and see ways it can be greatly improved. I reckon I can draw upon the experience in future. Hope so anyway. :cool:

So what about everybody else? Which module did you find most interesting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

This semester, probably Statistical Inference I, although the exam could be a toughie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 .DumDeDum.

Yay first ever post :D

Has to be Child Development..course material was all really interesting and the lecturer was lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Computational Science, 3rd year Mathematical Physics module. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

.DumDeDum. wrote: »
    Yay first ever post :D

Has to be Child Development..course material was all really interesting and the lecturer was lovely!

What is her name again? Oh wait, it cant be said and think it came to me now, but saw her today and just wanted to chat to her. Is a great module, would be up there with my favs even though I did it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Actually disliked every module I've done this year, including my elective which is nothing like what was described.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

Raphael wrote: »
    Computational Science, 3rd year Mathematical Physics module. Really enjoyed it.

you barely went to lectures :) although it was a decent course.
    i think the mathematical physics module Potential Theory & Electrostatics was much better, lecturer was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

+1 for child development. did it as an elective last year as well, have to say that none of my modules this year were great, introduction to qualitative research was interesting though... looking forward to my choice history module next semester, sport and modern society:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Natural Computing was excellent. Could have done with a bit more practical stuff before our projects but having to write a paper by myself, and then review other people's papers was a novel experience. The algorithms covered in the course were very interesting too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Probably 2nd year Web Multimedia.
    Good course, good lecturer
    Couldn't really ask for anything more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm probably going to get slapped for this, but I love Machine Learning. Then again, it's taught in a relatively mathematical way, which suits me.

I probably would have liked Natural Computing more if I hadn't discovered midway through working on my paper that I *hate* grammatical evolution with a fiery passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Criminal Procedure.The subject matter was really interesting,Bail,The Right to Silence,Search Warrants and the like. Plus the lecturer was brilliant at drilling the stuff into your head, as well as entertaining!

Fingers crossed the exam won't be too hard...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

Criminal Procedure.The subject matter was really interesting,Bail,The Right to Silence,Search Warrants and the like. Plus the lecturer was brilliant at drilling the stuff into your head, as well as entertaining!

Fingers crossed the exam won't be too hard...:p

Did that last year; the exam is extremely nice. Reading over the printouts the night beforehand is sufficient to get an A.

Really enjoyed Criminal Law this semester (though the module is only halfway through)... who doesn't love hearing about violent rape cases at 9am on a Monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

COMP10010 Intro Programming I. Never went to lectures but the practicals were pretty fun and interesting and I still managed to ace them without too much bother. Looking forward to Intro Programming II next semester :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Integration, fragmentation in the global system (basically IR theory level 3). The lecturer is great, been taking his classes for the last 3 years now. He's probably one of the best lecturers I've had in UCD, and I really enjoy the subject too - so much so that I'm going to apply to do a masters in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

We talking just this year or any year? :)

For me it's probably Introduction to Cognitive Science, I did it as an elective last year. Really interesting material, great lecturer, not too difficult an exam..... Loved it. Wish I could do it again! :D

Other than that, I quite liked the Middle Eastern history module I did (also last year) with Tadhg [some Irish name]. Alot of information to take in, but if I recall there was no exam. When I went to the seminars, there was some rather interesting and lively debate, which was cool :) Very emotive subject for some people!

Theoretical Astrophysics

There's a limit as to how big White Dwarfs can get. Fascinating....

mc1990 wrote: »
    +1 for child development. did it as an elective last year as well, have to say that none of my modules this year were great, introduction to qualitative research was interesting though... looking forward to my choice history module next semester, sport and modern society:)

Shall see you in that anyway. Really looking forward to that one myself actually. Hopefullt its not a let down, but have heard good things from it.

Realised I didnt pick a favourite yesterday from this semester. Wasn't really that great, but if I had to pick, I'd go for Work & Social Stratification(2nd year Sociology). Liked the majority of both aspects, so was decent and interesting.

Mushy wrote: »
    Shall see you in that anyway. Really looking forward to that one myself actually. Hopefullt its not a let down, but have heard good things from it.

finally i hear from someone else who has picked this module, was beginning to think I'd be in the class on my own no one else I have talked to seems to be doing this one! :P yeah I'm hoping it will be a fairly easy-going module...

mc1990 wrote: »
    finally i hear from someone else who has picked this module, was beginning to think I'd be in the class on my own no one else I have talked to seems to be doing this one! :P yeah I'm hoping it will be a fairly easy-going module...

Know one other lad going into to it too. Does sound interesting alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Mushy wrote: »
    Know one other lad going into to it too. Does sound interesting alright.

its deadly, best module i did in the 3 years. Such a handy A as well. everyone needs to do it!

its deadly, best module i did in the 3 years. Such a handy A as well. everyone needs to do it!

thanks for sharing that bit of info, looking forward to it now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

You all clearly haven't heard of the Healthcare Across the Lifespan in nursing it's Nurs10100.

Every lecture was very interesting because it dealt with mental health, sexual health, child health, adult health, etc and the assessment was to draw a poster on an aspect of health and 800words on the poster!

Always different lecturers so it wasn't boring either.

Draw a poster??? :D Seriously?!

Do you have to buy your own crayons, or.......? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm probably going to get slapped for this, but I love Machine Learning. Then again, it's taught in a relatively mathematical way, which suits me.

I probably would have liked Natural Computing more if I hadn't discovered midway through working on my paper that I *hate* grammatical evolution with a fiery passion.
    Having studied machine learning all day, I've realised that you definitely deserve a slap for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Drawing system of architech lol very few classes+super cool 5 assigments + no exams,happy days.

oh,u mean favourite eh.i suppose you cant really be happy of what you like these days :(..i love all of them related to my major...but then the workload is extremely depressing this year *back to work* another reason to hate modularisation,if only i have 1 big exams in the end of the year!!!damn U*D!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Dave! wrote: »
    Draw a poster??? :D Seriously?!

Do you have to buy your own crayons, or.......? :D

Oh ha ha:D
    No just print pics off the web and glue them onto a page, that simple:) Can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I liked polymer chemistry...because I'm a masochist?

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Oh ha ha:D
    No just print pics off the web and glue them onto a page, that simple:) Can't go wrong
    Is it 2nd semester by any chance? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

It's probably a tie between Brain and Behaviour and Intro to Programming I.
    Both were really interesting and pretty easy.

I'm looking forward to doing "Irish Culture and Society" next semester.

Advertisement