Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning something and re-purchasing it at the reduced price

Options
  • 02-12-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I want to ask if anyone has done this.

I'm talking about clothes I bought in M+S and Debenhams recently at full price. I have receipts and tags are still on.

Debenhams sale is starting again tomorrow and M+S are rumoured to be having a sale on Thursday. If I was to do this I'd save around €50 which is obviously a lot but I'd feel really embarassed about doing it:o

Do other people do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dont need to be embarrassed, its saving you €50. You have all the tags still in place its fine, and it will be different staff at the exchange counter than at the tills (unless your really unlucky :p)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

sunnyside wrote: »
    I want to ask if anyone has done this.

I'm talking about clothes I bought in M+S and Debenhams recently at full price. I have receipts and tags are still on.

Debenhams sale is starting again tomorrow and M+S are rumoured to be having a sale on Thursday. If I was to do this I'd save around €50 which is obviously a lot but I'd feel really embarassed about doing it:o

Do other people do this?

Just so you know- you are aware they don't have to give you a refund, right?

If they do, of course, bully for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you could just ask for vouchers instead which most places are happy to then spend them on more things in the sale,although it'd be funny if the stuff you bought wasnt on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Although they dont have to give you the refund, most big retailers like M&S and debenhams will do in my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

M+S offer refunds for 90 days from the date of purchase. I've always thought that really isn't necessary.

I know they give refunds easily but I still feel embarassed about doing it:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Just beware they might sell your size before the sale! Happened to me when a broke student, returned a pair of shoes, went to the sale an hour after it started and my size was gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

M+S offer refunds for 90 days from the date of purchase. I've always thought that really isn't necessary.

I know they give refunds easily but I still feel embarassed about doing it:o

Just go to a different store for returning and buying. No one will know but you and us;) And it's not embarassing to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wait till foggy arrives, he'll know what to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

My Mam does it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

I'm not sure if you're asking the question from a practical perspective or a moral perspective, but...

If you're bothered about the 'morality' of it, I wouldn't be, because even if you do buy the products back at the lower sale price, you'll still pay them more than they charge for the same products in their Northern Stores.

As to the practicality, I think you'll have to return the goods to the 'Customer Service' desks, get your cash/vouchers, and then are most unlikely to meet the same servers on the tills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've always thought that really isn't necessary.
    It is a very good marketing tool. The majority of stuff I buy in argos would not have been bought there if it was not for their excellent returns policy, it is now 30days since a while ago, up from 16days, full cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

when i worked in a large chain store we'd have customers who used to do this all the time so it was common practice to try to discourage them from trying it. If you're gonna do it just make sure that the sizes are out on the shopfloor cos a lot of the time they won't put the stock back on the shopfloor straight away so you may not get to it that day, it may be a few hours before its put out for sale purposely to stop people getting a refund and then buying the same item again.
    shops have cottoned onto this practice particularly around xmas when stuff is bought as presents and obviosly never used so is refundable.
    What I'd recommend is to buy the cheaper stuff first and then get a refund later once it's within the time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

SDooM wrote: »
    Just so you know- you are aware they don't have to give you a refund, right?

If they do, of course, bully for you. :)

M+S do a no quibble refund, I think you have 60 days in which to return the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

To clarify the only way you know you are going to get your goods at the mega day prices is:
    You have your receipt for the original purchase,
    You get a refund for this purchase,
    Another set of your items are available on the shop floor to buy and you buy them again at the mega day price.
    More than lightly the returns you give back will have to stay behind the counter until the refund receipts are signed by a manager.

Advertisement