Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was robbed today

Options
  • 02-12-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

:(:(
    I purchased a new Dell Laptop for the Mrs. for Christmas and it was delivered today.

I never opened it and it was still sealed in box and i took it in my van from the courier as i didnt want the other half to see it until christmas.

Anyway i stopped in a town today for 5 minutes to run to the pass machine and anyway tonight when i wentout ot get the laptop it was not there.

Only thing i can think happened is that the van was not locked as the central locking buttons are tight together and can it can be mixed up sometimes.

Bottom line is the laptop is gone and i called the Guards tongight and they invited me down tomorrow to make a statemement.

Feeling very blue over this and i don't want thell the other half she would go mental cost me €580 and i am not rich.

Any advice appreciated regarding have i any comeback regarding insurance etc? (hope this is ok thread in this section)?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

That's desperate :(

Moved from PI, might have more luck in Banking/Insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭unhappycamper

Look all I can say is that I feel very very sorry for you. You have had one of those days where the evil of society has come along and taken something as expensive as this new laptop. On the other hand you are okay and the robbery took place out of sight. In many ways you were somewhat lucky that no harm came to you. Money comes and goes and your wife will understand your misfortune. I am not qualified to say but I really don't think you were insured on the laptop. Perhaps contacting the retailer you bought the laptop from and explain that it has been stolen. Ask them for the serial number of the laptop and give that to the guards along with your statement. Best of luck OP you must be most disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

IrishHomer wrote: »
    :(:(
    I purchased a new Dell Laptop for the Mrs. for Christmas and it was delivered today.

I never opened it and it was still sealed in box and i took it in my van from the courier as i didnt want the other half to see it until christmas.

Anyway i stopped in a town today for 5 minutes to run to the pass machine and anyway tonight when i wentout ot get the laptop it was not there.

Only thing i can think happened is that the van was not locked as the central locking buttons are tight together and can it can be mixed up sometimes.

Bottom line is the laptop is gone and i called the Guards tongight and they invited me down tomorrow to make a statemement.

Feeling very blue over this and i don't want thell the other half she would go mental cost me €580 and i am not rich.

Any advice appreciated regarding have i any comeback regarding insurance etc? (hope this is ok thread in this section)?

Unlucky, check your car insurance for theft. There will be alot of paper work but it may be worth it in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dob74 wrote: »
    Unlucky, check your car insurance for theft. There will be alot of paper work but it may be worth it in the end

+1

Your car insurance should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

TheZohan wrote: »
    +1

To make matters worse i was in my work vehicle and this is state owned and they don,t have insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

To make matters worse i was in my work vehicle and this is state owned and they don,t have insurance.

Bugger!

Ok check with your Credit Card company, you might be covered by it's insurance automatically...thats assuming you paid by plastic?

I know Tesco's credit card covers purchases for 100 days, maybe yours does too.

UlsterBank and Bank Of Ireland cover purchases for 90 days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Bugger!

Ok check with your Credit Card company, you might be covered by it's insurance automatically...thats assuming you paid by plastic?

I know Tesco's credit card covers purchases for 100 days, maybe yours does too.

UlsterBank and Bank Of Ireland cover purchases for 90 days. :)

I paid with TSB Ice VISA:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

+1

It might not, when the fact that you might have left your doors unlocked comes to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I would check the cover on your household insurance - if you have a small amount of unspecified all-risks cover, then you may be covered, although you would need to check with you insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm really sorry to hear this OP.

+1 for checking house insurance, the work vehicle insurance and your credit card insurance.

I feel so sorry for you. It was just one of those unfortunate things. Don't punish yourself anymore about it. I am sure your wife will understand how bad you feel already without her adding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

You will probably need to have at least an all risks policy on your household insurance - the key is that you didn't intentionally leave the vehicle unlocked, it was an accident - remember the FBD ads ! I don't suppose it was in the boot or out of sight ? Tell the truth, I'd like to think that you will get paid. Good luck and post the outcome.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Any advice appreciated regarding have i any comeback regarding insurance
    etc? (hope this is ok thread in this section)?

Check your:
    Car Insurance (though I wonder is the key thing negligence)
    House Insurance
    Credit Card insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

+1 on the insurance side of things.
    On a side note, did you park close to the atm, their cameras might have picked up the christmas wreckers at your van. i know the guards regularly check bank cctv at they are generally very good. Worth a try anyway, you might never get the laptop back but at least you might get the satisfaction knowing that the feckers didnt get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Even if your insurance did cover contents, they wouldn't pay out unless the laptop was locked in the boot and the car was locked. The credit card company will look at it the same way.

Ultimately it is your own fault for leaving a vehicle unlocked. You'll never make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

broker2008 wrote: »
    You will probably need to have at least an all risks policy on your household insurance - the key is that you didn't intentionally leave the vehicle unlocked, it was an accident -

Are you encouraging the OP to say the vehicle was locked? i.e insurance fraud? :rolleyes:

Insurance companies (quite rightly) don't care if it was an 'accident' that you didn't lock your car. They won't pay out if the vehicle was not locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

eth0_ wrote: »
    Insurance companies (quite rightly) don't care if it was an 'accident' that you didn't lock your car. They won't pay out if the vehicle was not locked.

Hmmm not 100% sure, as I remember once the theft was the consequence of "forced entry" then it is deemed to be an insured peril.

Now what defines "forced entry" I was told that forced entry can be defined as the act of a thief opening a door with the intent of theft.

Where I got that from is a family member who suffered from alzheimers before her death, she went to a neighbors for a quick visit/cup of tea and did not lock the front door. Someone entered the house and stole quite a bit, the Insurance company didn't deny the claim but said a warranty may apply for not locking the door and the claim could be reduced or even not paid at all because of contributory negligence. The family sought advice from a solicitor and without telling Insurance company we had spoken to one asked the Insurance Company what they defined "forced entry" as , shortly thereafter claim was paid in full.

However that definition goes back a wee while so read the small print.

Contact your insurance company (home and vehicle) and tell them a factual account of how the loss was incurred, you may be surprised with their response, then again you might not be.

However I again stress a reading of the small print is in order.

(edited - to phrase it better)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Are you encouraging the OP to say the vehicle was locked? i.e insurance fraud? :rolleyes:

Far from it.

There are instances where a claim has been paid for leaving the doors unlocked accidently as opposed to intentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

+1

your car insurance wont cover it unless it was in a locked boot/glove box
    if u accidetally leave ur car open it is defienlty not covered..
    If you managed to specify it on you house hold policy you could claim under that unfortuantley if it is not specified your not covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

broker2008 wrote: »
    Far from it.

There are instances where a claim has been paid for leaving the doors unlocked accidently as opposed to intentionally.

Few and far between! I've never heard of it except where there was a big relationship with an underwriter/insurer at stake (or the former owed me a big big favour :D) Very unfortunate thing to happen to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Even if your insurance did cover contents, they wouldn't pay out unless the laptop was locked in the boot and the car was locked. The credit card company will look at it the same way.

Ultimately it is your own fault for leaving a vehicle unlocked. You'll never make that mistake again.

Really sorry to the OP. When things like this happen to me, I just tell myself it was an expensive lesson. In your case €580 lesson. You'll be down in the dumps for a while but you'll get over it.

By any chance did you park the van near a CCTV, someone may have caught the scum on camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

First my commiserations, a real bummer.

My pennyworth, your home insurance may be the best option. I discovered that (for ex) Quinn home insurance doesn't cover a laptop outside the house but 123 does, or did, they tried to move the goalposts on the renewal (a general warning...) but I hassled them and they agreed to restore the cover.

Bye, Barry

Advertisement