Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home basic or home premium ???

• 02-12-2008 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

well guys

I have a macbook pro but recently found out i need windows to run a couple of college programmes. Because i have never really used vista, I'm probably going to buy it instead of xp. so should i get home basic or home premium. Is there much difference except the price and where can i buy an oem copy of either one cheap online.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I'm in the same boat as yourself, with a MBP and needed windows. While Vista runs smooth as butter on a MBP (mate has done it) I went for XP for the sake of ease-of-use. Performance is far superior with XP, so if you can get it, do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

XP Pro will allow you to put computer on a domain while XP Home won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

XP is the only OS to get, All VISTA SUCKS.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

yeah i know windows xp is probably more stable but still it is an old os that's going to be extinct in a couple of years especially with windows 7 coming out in the next year. thats why i'm probably leaning towards vista. Any good websites to buy from ???? Thanks for replies also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tech wrote: »
    Please read the Forum Charter in pertaining to unsubstantiated claims, such as fanboi-ism.

In truth I always found XP to be less stable than vista. Its a neat OS after its SP3 but still is outmatched by Vista SP1 and soon to be SP2. And not all hardware (especially new hardware; especially for laptops) even have drivers that will work in XP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tech wrote: »
    Since M$ have stopped selling XP it's not as easy to get. Also teh downgradable versions are far more expensive.

how about a trial of windows 2008 - 240 days , should cover a year at college ;)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc137123.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B6E99D4C-A40E-4FD2-A0F7-32212B520F50&WT.sp=_technet_,dcsjwb9vb00000c932fd0rjc7_5p3t&displaylang=en
    This software is for evaluation and testing purposes. Evaluating Windows Server® 2008 software does not require product activation or entering a product key. Any edition of Windows Server 2008 may be installed without activation and evaluated for an initial 60 days.

If you need more time to evaluate Windows Server 2008, the 60 day evaluation period may be reset (or re-armed) three times, extending the original 60 day evaluation period by up to 180 days for a total possible evaluation time of 240 days. After this time, you will need to uninstall the software or upgrade to a fully-licensed version of Windows Server 2008.

which programs are they / can you ask the lecturers to either recomend alternative or ask why they are subsidising microsoft ?
    many can run using WINE - check on the MAC forum
    http://darwine.sourceforge.net/download.php

Advertisement