Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HARD DRIVE CRASH---HELP!!!!!!!

Options
  • 02-12-2008 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

HI FOLKS, IM UP **** CREEK, WITH NO PADDLE, NEED HELP!

All my media is on two 400GB Freecom hard drives. They are connected via USB, they power up but the icon wont appear on desk top thus cant access media! Under time pressure so this is a nightmare!! I assume they've crashed. Before they went off for good, the media would become disconnected every 10 mins or so. Now its gone altogether.

Is there a way of bringing them back to life? Anyone know why they may have died in the first place or where i can get them fixed???

;(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Eeek.....

Have you tried accessing the drives on another machine?

If i was you i'd be cracking open those hard disk cases, getting the drives out and finding a pc or mac to put them into to see once and for all if they are knackered or not and get the media off them and onto a new drive. I'd also never work with video off a usb drive as i've always found firewire to be more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

get some hdd caddies throw them into them and give it a go. chances are its not the drive that is at fault.

external usb drives should only be used as backup storage and shouldnt be used as a regular drive for access imo.

good luck i recently lost 1tb of various media when a drive of mine went on fire.

peats on parnell should sell the caddy and it direct
    as do pc world / maplins and any good ( and some bad ) computer hardware store.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

yeah caddies are another option, just make sure you take out the other drives first to see if it's a sata or ide caddie you need.

Advertisement