Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT work in Sydney

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Howdy all, been browsing this forum for a few days now. I'm thinking of heading to Sydney for a year in January, mainly to get a break from Dublin and the weather. I've done Asia and been to Oz before, so would be going to work for most of it. I'm single no kids, so no ties apart from a house and mortgage, will have to rent out the house.

I'm 37 though so I'm not sure how hard or easy it will be to get a visa. I downloaded the 'Form 1121i Skilled Occupation List' pdf from the immi site and my job type is listed there (IT analyst programmer), so I think I can go for the General Skilled Migration programme. So just curious about the following if anyone could advise on some or all:

- How much IT work is there in Sydney (specifically .NET/BizTalk/SOA/SQL development, 12 years experience)
    - Has the recession reached Oz yet??
    - Is it possible to turn up in Oz and apply for jobs/visas from there; is there a certain length of time a person can stay before getting work?

Any other relevant info I'd be glad to hear.

Cheers,
    Ciaran.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

aka_Ciaran wrote: »

- How much IT work is there in Sydney (specifically .NET/BizTalk/SOA/SQL development, 12 years experience)
    Sydney is the hub of IT in Aus, There is work in IT, but at the moment it has slowed down, could be due to Xmas, as well as the credit crisis
    I know a lot of the big companies have laid off staff, but there is work here - not as much as last year, but still work ... what it is like in 2-6 months time is anyones guess
    - Has the recession reached Oz yet??
    not really, it is more of a slow down / just in case
    - Is it possible to turn up in Oz and apply for jobs/visas from there; is there a certain length of time a person can stay before getting work?
    You can, but advised not to, you can turn up on a holiday visa and look for work sponsorship - which means a company will have to hire you as a full time, most companies are reluctant to do this, as they want to see how good of a worker you are first. at 37 you have a big disadvantage
    You can apply for a skilled migrant visa that will take 6-12 months to go through and gather information, and would be better to apply from Ireland with this.

Agencies can no longer sponsor workers, so you will need full time work, rather than contracting (if on 457)

since a lot of big companies only deal with agencies it is a bit of a catch 22 situation, as agencies main concern is to get money straight away and will be very reluctant to deal with someone with out a visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

hussey wrote: »
    at 37 you have a big disadvantage
    You can apply for a skilled migrant visa that will take 6-12 months to go through

Yoinks, not good news! That's taken the wind out of my sails a bit hussey. Didn't think it would take so long to get a visa, and didn't think 37 would be a huge problem either.

Yoinks, not good news! That's taken the wind out of my sails a bit hussey. Didn't think it would take so long to get a visa, and didn't think 37 would be a huge problem either.

sorry what i mean is that at 37 you can't get a WHV to, in turn get a job then sponsorship etc, not for a skilled visa - that is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

hussey wrote: »
    Agencies can no longer sponsor workers, so you will need full time work, rather than contracting (if on 457)

I contacted a couple of agencies in Sydney and one of them replied saying things are quiet at this time and that February would be a good time to get in touch again. They also said that they can sponsor workers if they get a contract for more than 3 months...is this correct?

I contacted a couple of agencies in Sydney and one of them replied saying things are quiet at this time and that February would be a good time to get in touch again. They also said that they can sponsor workers if they get a contract for more than 3 months...is this correct?

I would say the feb thing is certainly correct.
    As for the sponsorship, I am unsure, they changed the rules on 457 a while ago and no agency could sponsor workers as they didn't meet all the sufficient criteria, this was a terrible decision by the Gov as it stopped a few thousand skilled workers coming to Aus. this may have been changed back I am not sure, you'd certainly want the agency to confirm this before you even risk talking to them.
    And yes in the past you just needed 3 months work to get sponsored by an agency

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23635292-15306,00.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement