Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essay Grades-Confused!

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Okay..I got an essay back a few weeks ago and got an A-.:)The essay was worth 40%.How much percentage wise does this count towards my overall grade in this module?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Congrats, you have just about passed before your exams. Dont take it easy though, get your A overall. I'd say you have about 35% of your module, but that is just an estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A- would be 90% say, so 9/10ths of 40% will give ya 36%. Thats excellant, fair play..keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Are we all sure now? Ive been told that an A in UCD is anything above 70%. I hope I've been misinformed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Yeah what are the actual grades to percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Are we all sure now? Ive been told that an A in UCD is anything above 70%. I hope I've been misinformed though.
    You were informed correctly. An A- is anything from 70% - 73.32%. So the OP now has somewhere between 28% and 29.328% overall (isn't maths fun?)
    SRFC90 wrote:
    Yeah what are the actual grades to percentage?
    See the right hand side of the chart in the attachment in this post.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that, but thought that they gave grades in the same way, and it was only the final score that ya get in the module is done through the new GPA method. As in, the A- would give her the 36% of the module, then when she gets the final result, say its A- again, he/she is over 70%, and hence gets relevant GPA?

If not, eugh, I've a lot more work to do.

EDIT: Just calculating based on my own essay scores so far...it doesn't make too much difference. I considered myself to be over 30% on like 3 modules, but now I'd be on 28/29% with the newer way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Mushy wrote: »
    I was thinking that, but thought that they gave grades in the same way, and it was only the final score that ya get in the module is done through the new GPA method. As in, the A- would give her the 36% of the module, then when she gets the final result, say its A- again, he/she is over 70%, and hence gets relevant GPA?
    I see what you're saying, but that'd be a bit nuts really. I'm not familiar enough with individual schools to confirm or deny that this happens, but I'd imagine staff have been instructed to mark all exams using the same system, avoiding confusion and headaches for all concerned.

Breezer wrote: »
    I see what you're saying, but that'd be a bit nuts really. I'm not familiar enough with individual schools to confirm or deny that this happens, but I'd imagine staff have been instructed to mark all exams using the same system, avoiding confusion and headaches for all concerned.

Yeah, the craziness occured to me when basing it upon my own results(the new method). Was thinking it'd be crazier to make it harder to pass students, but then, as you can see from my edit in last post, it works out roughly the same.

Advertisement