Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing chains

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Hey all, was recently enquiring about an '03 Polo and asked about the situation regarding the Timing Belt, but I was told that the newer model Polos don't have a Timing Belt but a Timing Chain, therefore it doesn't need to be changed. Is this true? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say it's a belt myself, I know the 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 Golfs use a belt so can't see the Polo having a chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd say it's a belt myself, I know the 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 Golfs use a belt so can't see the Polo having a chain.

thats intersting, also its a 1.2 Polo, I've a mate who knows his cars pretty well and he thought it was a bit suss aswell:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,246 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik the 1.2 litre engine in the 03 Polo is a 3 cylinder unit which is chain driven. To be sure though I would ring a VW dealer who can easily verify this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I serviced a 1.2 triple lump last week and its a chain.

Advertisement