Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

passed my test at the beginning of the month. only got round to telling the insurance company today. they said they need my cert of competancy. now i had this cert for bout 10 mins before i posted it away. asgard are adament they need this, anyone know a way around it. i asked about sending a copy of my license, they said no.

also noticed that my minsurance on the exact same car has gone up since i passed. i paid €1500 for TPFD insurance on a 1.4 valued at €2000. just had a look for the craic to see whgat id be roughly paying next year. shock horror its €1800 for the same car except this time ive a full licence. only other detail that has changed is my job title. work in computer sales and service now, before this i was an administrator which in my opinion is a more stressful job. can anyone explain or give me a solutiion to oth my problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

Hi....

Not sure about the cert of competency......can't understand why the licence will not suffice.....

Re Insurance when you mention sales insurance companies will have a loading......unless you can make it clear that it's telesales but if there involves traveling at all, even in a company car they'll load you......I imagine it's because they fear there's an exposed risk you'll use your own car for work.......

Hope that helps

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My insurance company accepted my full licence.

I would suggest you phone up and ask to speak to someone different. if anything they shoul prefer the full licence rather then the certificate, as the certificate does allow you to drive unaccompanied!!!!

very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd hazard a guess and say whoever you were talking to hasn't a notion of what they are talking about. Ring up again, and if you get the same response, ask to talk to a supervisor, your full license should be the only thing they ask for, as the cert of competancy is essentially meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Hi....

Not sure about the cert of competency......can't understand why the licence will not suffice.....

Re Insurance when you mention sales insurance companies will have a loading......unless you can make it clear that it's telesales but if there involves traveling at all, even in a company car they'll load you......I imagine it's because they fear there's an exposed risk you'll use your own car for work.......

Hope that helps

but my car is only used for traveling to work. work in harvey norman. what should i put down as job title. wouldnt mind my last job involved driving to meath, this one is a 5 min drive so im doin less traveling. il just tell them im a doctor or something. as far as the cert thing, i used insure.ie if that opens any doors to why they wont accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Telephone the company again and ask to speak to an 'organ grinder'. A Certificate of Competency is not a Full Driving Licence. I cannot understand their stance on this but as has been said, it probably through ignorance.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    what should i put down as job title
    Just put down shop assistant. There's no need to try to 'impress' on an insurance policy unless you wish to part with more money.
    ssmith6287 wrote:
    il just tell them im a doctor or something.
    Only if you want to pay an even higher rate!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

when i passed my driving test i was not required to provide any proof that i had secured a full driving license. Just before the call ended i asked, "how soon do i have to fax a copy of my license", i was told and quote "We have to take your word for it" shortly after that i was also told i could drive unaccompanied

I saved a whole €37 off my insurance for the year as opposed to having a provisional license :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement