Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy me about alcohol !

Options
  • 03-12-2008 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Ok here we go, first of all a little background on me, I am a normal student, lots of mates, amn't a social outcast etc. but shock horror I don't drink, so here are the things which annoy me about alcohol (or perhaps the fact I don't drink). By the way I don't have a problem with people drinking and don't mean this to seem like I am on my high horse talking down, all my best friends are heavy drinkers but these things just get on my nerves and would like to off my chest.

- The questions people ask you when they see you are not drinking (people who don't know me very well) i.e. what's your excuse for not drinking tonight ?
    - The amazed and confused look people give you when you tell them you don't drink, it's as if I have just told them I have 13 toes
    -The fifty questions that ensue after you tell someone that you don't drink, as they struggle to grasp the fact
    - The fact I have never met one other person my age (early 20's) who doesn't drink
    - I never interact with drunk girls in clubs because of the fact I feel like I am taking advantage or something, being sober.
    - The way supermarkets market drink at knockdown prices as being "essentials" or saving the family money, if alcohol is essential you are an alcoholic
    - The full conversations you have with people that only you remember
    - When you meet someone new and you are afraid to talk them the next/following day/s because you might mention something about them that they told you when drunk, but they can't remember so they look at you like you are a stalker.
    - The fact people are wary of you when they are out drinking because by some miracle you remember everything
    - The unwritten rule that alcohol excuses all behavior
    - When someone does something horrible (i.e. to a girl) and then finds it hillarious the next day when they are told about it.
    - When people complain about prices in bars, face it, if they can get you in they are going to shaft you, it's addictive.
    - People who are unable to go on a night out without drinking, borderline alcoholism, yet they think it is normal.
    - General messiness !

This all I can think of for the minute, feel free to condemn and metaphorically lynch me in whatever way you feel fit. :o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Meh, people are immature. One of my best mates wouldn't drink at all, and it took a few years for people to stop ribbing him about it.

Out of nothing more than curiosity, have you ever drunk, and why don't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tl;dr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

You don't drink?

I don't trust you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wacko wrote: »
    This all I can think of for the minute, feel free to condemn and metaphorically lynch me in whatever way you feel fit. :o

Not at all
    Come join us in the non-drinkers forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Good on you mate. Your Life, Do whats good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

TLNR.

Things that annoy me about alcohol:

1. Stoners telling me that they are not doing as much harm to their bodies by smoking 'da cronik'.
    2. Stoners using text speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

- The questions people ask you when they see you are not drinking (people who don't know me very well)
    why don't ya?

It begins!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Meh, people are immature. One of my best mates wouldn't drink at all, and it took a few years for people to stop ribbing him about it.

Out of nothing more than curiosity, have you ever drunk, and why don't ya?

Tried it once or twice but never liked it and also I got a job in a club when I turned 18, put me off it forever, well never say never but it has been three years and have no interest in starting and I still feel like I am not missing out on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The only thing that annoys me about alcohol is the bloody price of it in pubs and clubs.

Price freeze me arse, price reduction is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think there's anything wrong with not being able to go out without drinking. I don't like nightclubs. I hate shítty pop music, dancing, and being ripped off. However from time to time I can enjoy a night out in a nightclub if I've been drinking. It makes everything more fun. If I haven't been drinking well then my hatred for shítty pop music, dancing and being ripped off kind of ruins things. If I were to go out constantly regardless of that then yeah you might have a point, but I rarely would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I know people who don't drink. They always get people pushing booze on them like Mrs. Doyle with a cup of tea. ''Go on, go on, ya will...''. :rolleyes:

Must get really annoying. I don't think it's a big deal. You can have a good time without booze and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Alcohol is fecking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ok here we go, first of all a little background on me, I am a normal student, lots of mates, amn't a social outcast etc. but shock horror I don't drink, so here are the things which annoy me about alcohol (or perhaps the fact I don't drink). By the way I don't have a problem with people drinking and don't mean this to seem like I am on my high horse talking down, all my best friends are heavy drinkers but these things just get on my nerves and would like to off my chest.

- The questions people ask you when they see you are not drinking (people who don't know me very well) i.e. what's your excuse for not drinking tonight ?
    - The amazed and confused look people give you when you tell them you don't drink, it's as if I have just told them I have 13 toes
    -The fifty questions that ensue after you tell someone that you don't drink, as they struggle to grasp the fact
    - The fact I have never met one other person my age (early 20's) who doesn't drink
    - I never interact with drunk girls in clubs because of the fact I feel like I am taking advantage or something, being sober.
    - The way supermarkets market drink at knockdown prices as being "essentials" or saving the family money, if alcohol is essential you are an alcoholic
    - The full conversations you have with people that only you remember
    - When you meet someone new and you are afraid to talk them the next/following day/s because you might mention something about them that they told you when drunk, but they can't remember so they look at you like you are a stalker.
    - The fact people are wary of you when they are out drinking because by some miracle you remember everything
    - The unwritten rule that alcohol excuses all behavior
    - When someone does something horrible (i.e. to a girl) and then finds it hillarious the next day when they are told about it.
    - When people complain about prices in bars, face it, if they can get you in they are going to shaft you, it's addictive.
    - People who are unable to go on a night out without drinking, borderline alcoholism, yet they think it is normal.
    - General messiness !

ha ha ha you have 13 toes. sober freak

Tried it once or twice but never liked it and also I got a job in a club when I turned 18, put me off it forever, well never say never but it has been three years and have no interest in starting and I still feel like I am not missing out on anything
    Yeah, makes sense.

A lot of people want to be drunk. Being drunk can be fun. I also know a lot of people who couldn;t go out to a club or whatever sober. Again, you grow out of it.
    I don't drink coffee, at all, and I get the odd looks about that. It's just something I don;t like that everyone else does. I don't see the point. Again, when people are more mature, they'll stop caring.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    It begins!!!!!!

*grins* In fairness I've two great mates who don't drink at all. Hell I've gone out plenty of nights and not drunk and had a great time. I'll also happily go out and get rat arsed though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Acacia wrote: »
    I know people who don't drink. They always get people pushing booze on them like Mrs. Doyle with a cup of tea. ''Go on, go on, ya will...''. :rolleyes:

Must get really annoying. I don't think it's a big deal. You can have a good time without booze and all that.

Replies are very fast on here :eek: !!!!.............. I should have added that to the list really I am getting a car and can't wait I can just rattle they keys and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Alcohol is fecking awesome.

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I don't drink when I'm a work.

You don't see me going round looking for a medal!

If you have a medal handy I'll accept it, non graciously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I really have no strong feelings about people who don't drink. I do tend to avoid them when I'm ossified though, not becoz I think I couldn't get on with them, I'd probably have a whale of a time. But I might feel differently (ie mortified, I'm a very affectionate and verbal drunk) the next day. Also I know what it's like talking to a pissed person when you're onle slightly tipsy, it must be hell for a completely sober person.

PS I'm drunk now, the thing that annoys me most about alcohol atm is the fact that it gives me hangovers and costs me money. Oh wait that's two things. Feck off.

I really have no strong feelings about people who don't drink. I do tend to avoid them when I'm ossified though, not becoz I think I couldn't get on with them, I'd probably have a whale of a time. But I might feel differently (ie mortified, I'm a very affectionate and verbal drunk) the next day. Also I know what it's like talking to a pissed person when you're onle slightly tipsy, it must be hell for a completely sober person.

PS I'm drunk now, the thing that annoys me most about alcohol atm is the fact that it gives me hangovers and costs me money. Oh wait that's two things. Feck off.

One downside of sober friends is when you're utterly rat arsed and you can see them standing there mocking you with their sobriety. ^^

One downside of sober friends is when you're utterly rat arsed and you can see them standing there mocking you with their sobriety. ^^

Not even mocking, just...judging...and video-ing :( I don't have many sober friends though

• Advertisement

connundrum wrote: »
    I don't drink when I'm a work.

You don't see me going round looking for a medal!

If you have a medal handy I'll accept it, non graciously.
    http://www.angelfire.com/wi/beercans/image1/ste6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Terry wrote: »

It would appear that all of my Christmases have come at once :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Also I know what it's like talking to a pissed person when you're onle slightly tipsy, it must be hell for a completely sober person.

It is. :( I hate going out when I'm the only one not drinking, everyone comes up to me talking a pile of **** then ****ing off to score with some equally pissed randomer. I also hate people trying to force drink on me.

I've never been properly drunk (slightly tipsy at most), and I'm not in any rush to be. I'm not able to drink at the moment anyway due to medication I've been on since June.

Alcohol is sometimes yummy though (mmm....vodka and red bull.)

It is. :( I hate going out when I'm the only one not drinking, everyone comes up to me talking a pile of **** then ****ing off to score with some equally pissed randomer. I also hate people trying to force drink on me.

I've never been properly drunk (slightly tipsy at most), and I'm not in any rush to be. I'm not able to drink at the moment anyway due to medication I've been on since June.

Yuck and a half!!!

Vodka and Red Bull is beautiful.

Yuck and a half!!!

Ha, a bloody vegan is telling me the things I eat/drink are yuck and a half.

As the French would say, "Le repassage est délicieux" :pac:

Does your medication have the seal of approval? (Do not take alcohol whole using this medication).

Does your medication have the seal of approval? (Do not take alcohol whole using this medication).

It doesn't say anywhere on the leaflet "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL." But the stuff I'm on is very strong and has been known to cause depression and liver problems, so it's strongly recommended that you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

No, he's been prescribed ethanol, which can be quite dangerous when consumed with alcohol, ie can interfere with balance/coordination, judgement, speech, sleep patterns, depression, liver damage etc.

Things about Al Cohol that annoy me? Jesus, none! Al is one of my best friends, won't have a bad word said about the man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I know a couple of people who don't drink when they go out and they don't write lists of problems with people who drink.

And most of the issues are you have **** friends, not alcohol. If one of my friends did something horrible to a girl, it would not be joked about.

Advertisement