Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy me about alcohol !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Wacko wrote: »
    - I never interact with drunk girls in clubs because of the fact I feel like I am taking advantage or something, being sober.

That alone should be enough to seal the deal and make you jump on the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hmm. Housemate and boyfriend just got home after housemate got kicked out of club. Both invaded my room, housemate proceeded to fall flat on her arse and refuse to move, housemate's boyfriend to tell me about the "game", and the Pick Up Artist Routine and do a practice run on me. The two of them are now both my new most annoying things about alcohol and favourite things about alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Personally I don't have a problem with alcohol, lots of my mates drink; some people I know drink to excess some times. I wouldn't say that annoys me, but not wanting to get preachy, it makes me glad I don't drink. I think alcohol has a potential ability to be a force of good, and it's a pity that some people who do choose to use it don't just use it for its health, social or psychological benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

This song has only 1 verse ,I went home on a tuesday night ..............as sober as sober could be....I brushed my teeth and washed my face and then I went to sleep.........Not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i don't like how alcohol can change a person, i don't believe it always shows their true colours though.
    I also hate how it can, in large amounts makes someone who wasn't so hot earlier, start to look pretty good ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

unless that person is you eh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

InFront wrote: »
    unless that person is you eh

i dunno you might wake up thinking likewise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Domo230 wrote: »
    Im in college too and dont drink.

Mine is a medical reason though. Im on roaccutane.
    Its really annoying cause everything involves drinking.
    And when I say everything I literally mean literally everything in college is drink related.

So only 6 months of no drinkin to look forward to.
    Its not really the drinking I mis its the fact that you feel likean outsider when you go to an event and your the only sober one there.

I empathise. :( I'm on Roaccutane aswell. It sucks.

And it is true that pretty much everything college-related involves drinking. Which, in itself, is a pretty poor reflection on student culture, that you can't have a good time without being hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Vodka and Red Bull is beautiful.

redbull is poison :mad:

why ruin a good drink by putting that sihte in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

And it is true that pretty much everything college-related involves drinking. Which, in itself, is a pretty poor reflection on student culture, that you can't have a good time without being hammered.

Most people would be too shy to join in on the merryment if they werent hammered. THey'd just stand there watching the 1 or 2 people attempt (and fail) to get people going. If everyones hammered, then everyone joins in, and as they say, the more the merrier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ha, a bloody vegan is telling me the things I eat/drink are yuck and a half.

As the French would say, "Le repassage est délicieux" :pac:

As the French also say...touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

In my family me and my sister drink, my parents or other sister and brother don't drink. It's no big deal. In the case of my younger brother and sis that don't drink they have lots of friends that don't drink. I admire them for that and that's their decision, but I do drink (not a lot mind - once a week at the most) and don't make any excuses for it. Everyone to his own and all that. I don't believe in being a messer either though mind although I'm sure I have been at some stage or other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

"amn't a social outcast etc. but shock horror I don't drink,"

Contradiction...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ok here we go, first of all a little background on me, I am a normal student, lots of mates, amn't a social outcast etc. but shock horror I don't drink,
    :eek: Ah! Kill it! Kill it!

I didn't read the thread, I assume it's about people saying things like that to you. If you need to ask why they'd say things like that, well then, you just don't get it.

This post was never ment to make sense. ~ ALCOHOL

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Zangetsu wrote: »
    "amn't a social outcast etc. but shock horror I don't drink,"

Contradiction...

I don´t understand how that is a contradiction as I said I have lots of friends and am a social person, but people are usually shocked that I don´t drink, it doesn´t mean they ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I don't think there's anything wrong with not being able to go out without drinking.

Would you say the same if it was coke, heroin, a few pills??

I don't drink either (did plenty when I was a teen though)

I just don't like the drink/drug culture, pubs, clubs etc That's it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Ok here we go, first of all a little background on me, I am a normal student, lots of mates, amn't a social outcast etc. but shock horror I don't drink, so here are the things which annoy me about alcohol (or perhaps the fact I don't drink). By the way I don't have a problem with people drinking and don't mean this to seem like I am on my high horse talking down, all my best friends are heavy drinkers but these things just get on my nerves and would like to off my chest.

- The questions people ask you when they see you are not drinking (people who don't know me very well) i.e. what's your excuse for not drinking tonight ?
    - The amazed and confused look people give you when you tell them you don't drink, it's as if I have just told them I have 13 toes
    -The fifty questions that ensue after you tell someone that you don't drink, as they struggle to grasp the fact
    - The fact I have never met one other person my age (early 20's) who doesn't drink
    - I never interact with drunk girls in clubs because of the fact I feel like I am taking advantage or something, being sober.
    - The way supermarkets market drink at knockdown prices as being "essentials" or saving the family money, if alcohol is essential you are an alcoholic
    - The full conversations you have with people that only you remember
    - When you meet someone new and you are afraid to talk them the next/following day/s because you might mention something about them that they told you when drunk, but they can't remember so they look at you like you are a stalker.
    - The fact people are wary of you when they are out drinking because by some miracle you remember everything
    - The unwritten rule that alcohol excuses all behavior
    - When someone does something horrible (i.e. to a girl) and then finds it hillarious the next day when they are told about it.
    - When people complain about prices in bars, face it, if they can get you in they are going to shaft you, it's addictive.
    - People who are unable to go on a night out without drinking, borderline alcoholism, yet they think it is normal.
    - General messiness !

This all I can think of for the minute, feel free to condemn and metaphorically lynch me in whatever way you feel fit. :o

Y'know what, i gave up drink for financial reasons a while back, and i get alot of what you are whining about.
    Amazingly enough, i've figured out why people ask me fifty times why i don't drink. It's because i'm not obeying a social norm.
    People in pubs drink.
    Crazy, i know, but true. If you're there and not drinking people want to know why because it's not what is considered normal. It's the same way people with many piercings get approached and asked things like "did they hurt" and "how many do you have". They are drawing attention to themselves by not being like everyone else.
    So stop bawwwing, you made this choice, live with it.
    And it'd probably help if you didn't look down on people who drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

everytime me and da lads go out on weekends we get ****faced and dance like lunatics :D. Being pissed is fun, drink is expensive yes, i've drank so much i've built up a tolerance to it and it takes me a lot to get pissed. thats why i drink powerful drinks like jagermeister, whiskeys, few pints before hand, vodka, and most other spirits. theres one drink i wont touch, thats goldschlacher, got very bad off it one night and couldnt stop gettin sick. and i dont drink anything that smellls like it either. not tryin to brag but i dont get hangovers either. im 18 tho so i know ill eventually start gettin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Wacko, twas a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Replies are very fast on here :eek: !!!!.............. I should have added that to the list really I am getting a car and can't wait I can just rattle they keys and that's that.

Ya about that...

As someone who often drives home after nights out you'd be amazed at how little difference that will make. You'll have people who you've talked to once before offering you places to stay for the night, the usual "just have one- it won't make any difference" and after a while "lets put something in his drink so he won't be able to drive home".

Getting a car won't end this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Y'know what, i gave up drink for financial reasons a while back, and i get alot of what you are whining about.
    Amazingly enough, i've figured out why people ask me fifty times why i don't drink. It's because i'm not obeying a social norm.
    People in pubs drink.
    Crazy, i know, but true. If you're there and not drinking people want to know why because it's not what is considered normal. It's the same way people with many piercings get approached and asked things like "did they hurt" and "how many do you have". They are drawing attention to themselves by not being like everyone else.
    So stop bawwwing, you made this choice, live with it.
    And it'd probably help if you didn't look down on people who drink.

I tried my best to make the post seem that I was not looking down on people but perhaps you might have picked it up in a way which I didn´t intend, I rarely go to pubs, usually go out to clubs, but when there is very few other social outlets (especially in college, even sports and societys social scene is based on drinking) it is hard to avoid it unless you just want to stay away from people completly. So it isn´t like I am after going to a football match and am then complaining that I hate football. (not a great comparison but the best I can think of.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

thelordofcheese is right, you don't go to the cinema and complain when people want to watch the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

thelordofcheese is right, you don't go to the cinema and complain when people want to watch the movie.

Some people seem to have a problem with it judging by their constant sabotaging of such attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

What could possibly annoy you about alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Don't drink much myself either, mainly cos I can't afford too and I prefer to spend what time I have outside of work with my kids rather than in a pub that I can't even sit and have a fcking smoke in with my whiskey :mad:

You could always "pretend" you're drunk though. It's a lot of fun if you get someone that's pissed all depressed, feeling sorry for themselves, maybe tell you a few secrets you can use against them later. Then just get up and walk away, leave them on their own.

Or, seeing as how you're sober, you won't have beer goggles on and do in fact have the better chance of picking up a girl that doesn't look like Mary Harneys arse. So the next morning there's little regret on your part.

My favorite though, when everyone else is all tanked up and probably feeling a bit sickly maybe. Go grab a sandwich or anything really to eat and chew it all up for a while, don't swallow yet, make it all mushy and stuff then when there's a few sick looking people around, pretend to throw it all up on the table in front of them, making all the puke noises that go with it. Wait now, wait for it, watch their faces as you say "ah Jaysus I feel better after that, it's like..hey what the fook is that..." move your finger toward some part of what you just pretended to throw up and give it a good swirl around in the fake puke, now stick it in your mouth and rub it around your teeth "Ah man that tastes so nice, yeah I remember eating that earlier on".
    Be prepared to get the hell out of the way as people hopefully start throwing up at what you just did.

I'll keep the one about the half chewed lion bar and a fart for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I don't drink much either, but I think it's great craic being with pissed people. Easier to talk and have fun with people with their inhibitions down. All the fun of being pissed yourself without any of the loss of clear thinking. Ah yes, a pissed mate is a must-have accessory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Well, I used to drink more than my family (mum, dad, 2 sisters and granny) combined at the age of 11. :eek: But I saw sense and quit when I was 14 (maybe 15) years old. :cool:
    That and nearly getting caught with a locker full of drink in school - only avoided it after calling the bluff of a teacher to go and check it. (ThankFeckSmilie)

Disclaimer: I did restart aged 18 (almost 19) as it was my way of forgetting about my shyness. I now drink much, and often, but can (and do) go on occasional nights out where I don't drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I tried my best to make the post seem that I was not looking down on people but perhaps you might have picked it up in a way which I didn´t intend, I rarely go to pubs, usually go out to clubs, but when there is very few other social outlets (especially in college, even sports and societys social scene is based on drinking) it is hard to avoid it unless you just want to stay away from people completly. So it isn´t like I am after going to a football match and am then complaining that I hate football. (not a great comparison but the best I can think of.)

Don't mind him, he's going through a "too cool for school" thing lately :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Vegeta wrote: »
    Don't mind him, he's going through a "too cool for school" thing lately :P

ZING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

N_GGERS

Advertisement