Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy me about alcohol !

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

The_B_Man wrote: »
    N_GGERS
    I like the quotation! Randy Marsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It doesn't say anywhere on the leaflet "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL." But the stuff I'm on is very strong and has been known to cause depression and liver problems, so it's strongly recommended that you don't.
    That's the seal of approval.
    Y'know what, i gave up drink for financial reasons a while back, and i get alot of what you are whining about.
    Amazingly enough, i've figured out why people ask me fifty times why i don't drink. It's because i'm not obeying a social norm.
    People in pubs drink.
    Crazy, i know, but true. If you're there and not drinking people want to know why because it's not what is considered normal. It's the same way people with many piercings get approached and asked things like "did they hurt" and "how many do you have". They are drawing attention to themselves by not being like everyone else.
    So stop bawwwing, you made this choice, live with it.
    And it'd probably help if you didn't look down on people who drink.
    Amen to that, brother.
    I have friends who don't drink. They don't look down on me and I don't constantly question them as to why they don't drink.
    I don't try to force alcohol on them either.

Blarney92 wrote: »
    Ya about that...

As someone who often drives home after nights out you'd be amazed at how little difference that will make. You'll have people who you've talked to once before offering you places to stay for the night, the usual "just have one- it won't make any difference" and after a while "lets put something in his drink so he won't be able to drive home".

Getting a car won't end this...
    Oh, don't get me started on people spiking drinks.
    Spiking a drink is the worst thing you could do to anyone and I would personally dance on the head of someone who I caught doing it.

What could possibly annoy you about alcohol?
    Going by your username, the fact that you watch the x factor and don't know who Alan Dukes is, I'm going to assume you are still too you to have
    A. Never gone on a serious all day session
    B. Have never had a really bad hangover

Give it time.

Alcohol still rocks though.
    Mixing drinks doesn't.
    Just a little advice from your friendly neighbourhood alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Wacko wrote: »
    Ok here we go, first of all a little background on me, I am a normal student, lots of mates, amn't a social outcast etc. but shock horror I don't drink..

For some reason, reading that first bit of the post reminded me of 'the only gay in the village' sketch from Little Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

I can understand that is a great problem in Ireland!! well, my best advice would be take a cocktail without alcool, and don't participate in rounds, nobody will then notice too much.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

What could possibly annoy you about alcohol?

The 2 day blindness annoys me but not as much as the itch in the middle of my fcuking brain that doesn't go until I get that first half litre of wine into me on the way to work.

Other than that I fcuking love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Terry wrote: »
    I don't try to force alcohol on them either.

You should, they'd be more fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Things that annoy me about people who don't drink alchohol.

- They've usually only tried it once or twice and don't like the taste... Therefore its not for them and they proceed to tell everyone they dont drink and get annoyed when their asked why they don't drink in the middle of a nightclub at 2am.

- They remember EVERYTHING you said or did from the night before, us drunkards drink to have a laugh and even though we wake up in the morning not remembering anything, most of the time its better that we dont but it doesn't mean when I'm sobre on a night out, I cant wait to wake up in the morning and tell everyone how drunk they were and slag them off for doing this and that... and I certainly don't get annoyed with someone not remembering talking to me from the night before or forgetting a promise they made. So what if they don't remember the conversation, they were enjoying themselves thats their choice, im not going to lose any sleep over it, neither should you.

- The people who drink who feel the need to tell everyone they don't drink and go on to make up a list of things that annoy them about drinking and people who drink... I've plenty of mates who don't drink or, including myself, can go on a night out without drinking, because their there for the social aspect of it. Remember 99.9% of people drink for sociable aspect of it, especially those who go to nightclubs and pubs. I don't go to Croke Park and bring my tv with me to watch the Premiership.

- Yea drink is expensive in Ireland, when something is high in demand, it drives the price up... and being a student I know how to save money on drinking, drinking in friends houses and in the college before nights out saves a ton. The thing is I've by far had some of the best nights of my life whilst drunk and I know for a fact alot of the people here have experienced the same. That doesn't mean I have to be falling all over the place slurring my words to enjoy a night out, drunk can be a couple of pints in the local pub watchin United play or 10 buckets of Whiskey on a beach in Thailand with 10,000 people.

Fair enough you don't drink, it's not for you taste, but dont pretend your not on a high horse, giving out about people who drink, and the fact they do things that annoy you.

Drinking in Ireland is part of life, as you said all your mates are heavy drinkers and you havnt met a person in your age bracket that doesnt drink... what does that tell you? Your the odd one out, and although its anyones choice to drink or not, I dont go complaing on a board to thousands of people at the stuff people who dont drink do that annoy me.

/Rant over, have a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

flynner13 wrote: »
    Things that annoy me about people who don't drink alchohol.

- They've usually only tried it once or twice and don't like the taste... Therefore its not for them and they proceed to tell everyone they dont drink and get annoyed when their asked why they don't drink in the middle of a nightclub at 2am.

- They remember EVERYTHING you said or did from the night before, us drunkards drink to have a laugh and even though we wake up in the morning not remembering anything, most of the time its better that we dont but it doesn't mean when I'm sobre on a night out, I cant wait to wake up in the morning and tell everyone how drunk they were and slag them off for doing this and that... and I certainly don't get annoyed with someone not remembering talking to me from the night before or forgetting a promise they made. So what if they don't remember the conversation, they were enjoying themselves thats their choice, im not going to lose any sleep over it, neither should you.

- The people who drink who feel the need to tell everyone they don't drink and go on to make up a list of things that annoy them about drinking and people who drink... I've plenty of mates who don't drink or, including myself, can go on a night out without drinking, because their there for the social aspect of it. Remember 99.9% of people drink for sociable aspect of it, especially those who go to nightclubs and pubs. I don't go to Croke Park and bring my tv with me to watch the Premiership.

- Yea drink is expensive in Ireland, when something is high in demand, it drives the price up... and being a student I know how to save money on drinking, drinking in friends houses and in the college before nights out saves a ton. The thing is I've by far had some of the best nights of my life whilst drunk and I know for a fact alot of the people here have experienced the same. That doesn't mean I have to be falling all over the place slurring my words to enjoy a night out, drunk can be a couple of pints in the local pub watchin United play or 10 buckets of Whiskey on a beach in Thailand with 10,000 people.

Fair enough you don't drink, it's not for you taste, but dont pretend your not on a high horse, giving out about people who drink, and the fact they do things that annoy you.

Drinking in Ireland is part of life, as you said all your mates are heavy drinkers and you havnt met a person in your age bracket that doesnt drink... what does that tell you? Your the odd one out, and although its anyones choice to drink or not, I dont go complaing on a board to thousands of people at the stuff people who dont drink do that annoy me.

/Rant over, have a nice day!

Thanks for the other side of the coin, perhaps you should title your post things that annoy me about Wacko. You make a couple of presumptions though, I posted before why I don't drink, I don't have a problem with other people drinking, it just isn't for me, I have never gone out intentionally told someone I don't drink and have often covered the fact up by saying I have to be up early or something, as our post proves it isn't something I can be proud of, so I am not a "I'm better than you cause I'm sober" person, I am actually worried that so many people think that drinking in Ireland is part of life, it doesn't have to be. You seem very personally offended by my post, as I have pointed out before I don't intend to come across as arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

flynner13 wrote: »
    or 10 buckets of Whiskey on a beach in Thailand with 10,000 people.

Was there in july. madness! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I am actually worried that so many people think that drinking in Ireland is part of life, it doesn't have to be.
    Doesn't have to be, but it is. I don't see why you're worried about them stating a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Things that annoy me about alcohol is that sometimes sleeping gets in the way of a good nights drinking. Luckily I usually I have some at hand to deal with those groggy mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Was there in july. madness! :p

Yeah place is brillaint.
    Thanks for the other side of the coin, perhaps you should title your post things that annoy me about Wacko. You make a couple of presumptions though, I posted before why I don't drink, I don't have a problem with other people drinking, it just isn't for me, I have never gone out intentionally told someone I don't drink and have often covered the fact up by saying I have to be up early or something, as our post proves it isn't something I can be proud of, so I am not a "I'm better than you cause I'm sober" person, I am actually worried that so many people think that drinking in Ireland is part of life, it doesn't have to be. You seem very personally offended by my post, as I have pointed out before I don't intend to come across as arrogant.

I only make presumptions because you think that all people that drink and are drinkers cant have a good time without Alchohol, and that your worried about people thinking it has to be part of life in Ireland, when it already is.

I didnt start drinking untill I was just 18, majority of my friends were all boozing from 15/16 onwards, it didnt stop me going on nights out, and deffo didnt stop me having a good time. I actually laughed at how drunk they got not really understanding what the effect was like, and when I finally started drinking it got rid of the whole mystery of alchohol... and realised theirs no big deal, I drink, it doesnt mean I have a problem or the other 99% of my friends who drink.

Not wanted to have a snype at you but your commenting on something you havnt experienced and passing judgement... I dont think you have anything to worry about, and next time someone asks you why your not drinking, especially if its a girl, tell them that you have a rare condition, that alchohol can cause you to die or something... she'll get all interested and if you play your cards right, will want your babies...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Next time someone asks you why you don't drink tell them the truth... You don't like it. It tastes like poisoned aftershave to you. Makes you feel ill. Or what ever your reason is.
    Then make it a conversation.
    Flip it round on them, "do *you* really think it's that odd? Loads of people don't drink. how much do you spend on drink/ what do you like about drink? / are you so insecure that you can't dance with a few in you? Does that not strike you as a bit sad... Maybe you should work on your confidance?"

It's like being smart in a room with stupid people... If you use long words you'll get abuse because people are insecure. The think you're looking down on them even when you're not.
    So you might as well start. Sure you'll be billy no mates but that's worth it...

Then after they beat the living tar out of you, you can make fun of their poor impulse control.

Actually that doesn't sound great... Just stick to your guns and keep the conversation moving... If they keep swinging back to it ask them why they're so fixated / hung up on it? Deal with their reaction and move on to another hot topic... Sport, women, immigrants, "dem's is my shoes", correct usage of slang, punctuation, who would win in a fight; Jesus or Capt. Planet.

If they are asking you questions they are just making conversation, if they are pushing drink on you they are annoying but can fall into two groups
    1. The helpful, it's fun you should try it.
    2. The insecure, you're not drinking, you'll remember things, i can't trust you unless you're drinking.

I use to make up stories and reasons for why I didn't drink.

I'm a recovering alcoholic, "ah then just have the one."

I get violent when I drink and start fights, "ah sure that could be fun",
    You don't understand I'm a weakling and so I don't win the fights. "oh well then maybe you should only have one then".

I'm on some medication that doesn't mix well with alcohol, "well that must be awful, have one to cheer you up"

I'm on medication, wont work if I drink, "oh you'll be fine for one night"

I've got the car, "i've some cans in my gaf, when the bar closes we're all heading back there, have a few here then come with us" or "one won't put you over the limit" or "get a taxi, pick up the car tomorrow"

I've a long drive to cork in the morning, "ah sure you'll be sober by then..."

In the end I found that people who do this are not the in majority, they are just the loudest. Most people that know you out side a pub environment will usually quickly accept that you don't drink with out much fuss.
    Don't make a big deal out of it and they won't either.

Also there are loads of non drinkers but they hide it pretty well...
    As people get drunker you are free to act sillyer too. The problem with this can be that the next morning you still think it's ok to make rude comments that everyone thought were great fun last night but are now totally over the limit.

(This post is all over the place... I should limit myself to simple posts when using my phone...)

Advertisement