Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving Cert after 9 years?

Options
  • 03-12-2008 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I did my LC first go in 2000 and did ok. But i've been working for 5 years now (im 25) and im thinking about going back to do medicine instead.

At the time i got 535 points and i reckon if id appealed i could've gotten another 15, but alas i didnt :)

So i dont have enough points to get into medicine off my past LC.

Now im studying for gamsat (mature entry test to medicine) which is like doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Applied Maths at LC level. And im loving it! So why not do the LC aswell?

So how do i go repeating the LC myself? I dont want to go near a school except for the 6 exam days themselves.

So who do i apply to?
    How much will it cost?
    If i get enough points for medicine will i be allowed to reapply via CAO for medicine just as i would have done in 2000?

Any help would be very much appreciated...
    Thanks guys
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm not sure what the case is for medicine, lord knows it might be special in this regard too, but if you're over 23 you can apply as a mature student which, afaik doesn't require a LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

thanks PFM, yeah thats the gamsat entry route. you need to get about 70 in gamsat to get into medicine as a mature. im sitting gamsat in march

but id like to do my LC again anyway.
    So anyone got any info on that?
    I got a booklet from aontas on it but it didnt have specifics like where when how mcuh etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

There is an aptitude test for medicine this year called the HPAT, not sure if graduates are allowed to sit it :confused:
    if you check on their website maybe-
    they combine leaving cert results and your hpat result then offer places to the highest score downwards until all places are filled
    also reduced credit for points over 550.

Normal LCE points Adjusted LCE points before 2:1 ratio is applied
    550 550
    555 551
    560 552
    565 553
    570 554
    575 555
    580 556
    585 557
    590 558
    600 560

good luck:)