Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve in Kilkenny

Options
  • 03-12-2008 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Really didnt think Id have to ask any questions about my home county, but Ive actually never spent a New Years Eve in town! Ive got 4 friends from the States who happen to be in Kilkenny for New Years Eve so I was wondering where would be the best place to bring them? They're not typical "where are all the leprechauns?" Americans :p but still quite touristy, so I dont think Ill be taking them to Langton's somehow. Pubs should do the trick.

Anytime Im home I go to Matt the Millers, whats that like on New Years Eve? Would it be worthwhile getting some time in some of the other pubs like Biddys and Morrisseys? Or any other recommendations? Basically anywhere that'll be great craic but not pay a fortune to get inside the doors.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mason Fairbanks

I would avoid Biddy Earleys and Morriseys, both a bit unsavoury and frequented by losers mainly.

I'd try Ryan's on Friary Street, Anna Conda or any of them down Parliament St.

Ryans attracts a fair share of 'arty' type weirdos but its good in general.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

think the days of payin a fortune to get in somewhere are gone, too many choices now for a certain greedy guts to keep his cartel goin! agree with ryans man i reckon be good craic! could also try amber blacks too might be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Talldarkanhappy

Archimedes wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Really didnt think Id have to ask any questions about my home county, but Ive actually never spent a New Years Eve in town! Ive got 4 friends from the States who happen to be in Kilkenny for New Years Eve so I was wondering where would be the best place to bring them? They're not typical "where are all the leprechauns?" Americans :p but still quite touristy, so I dont think Ill be taking them to Langton's somehow. Pubs should do the trick.

Anytime Im home I go to Matt the Millers, whats that like on New Years Eve? Would it be worthwhile getting some time in some of the other pubs like Biddys and Morrisseys? Or any other recommendations? Basically anywhere that'll be great craic but not pay a fortune to get inside the doors.

Thanks folks.

I cant agree with our friend that says Biddys attracts losers.....I think its a great place, I only go there now and again....but I have always enjoyed, they do a good cocktail and its well run by a guy called Jimmy.....he's a hands on guy and knows how to throw the party...cool place...try it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'd definitely go for Ryans. If they want to see farmers dancing on tables then by all means bring them to any pub on John Street. Everywhere else past Morrissey's should be pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Talldarkanhappy

Threadhead wrote: »
    I'd definitely go for Ryans. If they want to see farmers dancing on tables then by all means bring them to any pub on John Street. Everywhere else past Morrissey's should be pretty decent.

I think you mean Morrissons not Morrisseys?????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Threadhead wrote: »
    I'm not a farmer and i go to these pubs. Maybe it's because I used to work there or maybe because feeling like a sardine doesn't appeal to me. Morrisons never has room to be comfortable imo

Yeah valid on the Morrisons front.

Apologies for tarring all the pubs on John Street with one brush. But if I was bringing a group of American tourists out for a night in Kilkenny, Biddy Early's, Morrisseys and Lanigans are top of the 'To Avoid' list in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

to be fair if you want the american's to have the experience we think all americans think of irish pubs, country pubs are the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

its a bit condescending to refer to john street as a load of farmers jumping up and down on tables.

I'm no great fan of johns street either but i dont understand the need for your dissmissive comments about farmers.

Ryans is good auld craic most nights but on new years it'll be mad i'd say knowing arthur.

Cleeres is good banter too.

Pumphouse will be absolutely packed to the door.

Paris Texas is usually jammers too.

Depends what kind of atmosphere you're looking for to be honest.

The Field might be a good choice for you actuallyyou could always go upstairs to avoid the madness of downstairs!!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Sorry to barge in on your thread Archimedes, but if I was to make a new one it would of have the same title!:D

Just looking for suggestions on where to go out in Kilkenny for New Years..pubs/clubs. Have never been out there before so havn't a clue! There will be about 10 of us in total (all female and between 21-22yrs) We're all from different parts of Ireland/all primary school teachers. We have been friends since college and were planning on celebrating the New Year together in Kilkenny for somewhere different. Being from Cork I obviously wanted to go somewhere else..but I was outvoted!!:p We're nice/friendly/up for a laugh. Would like to stay clear of places where teenyboppers/knackers congregate please.:)

Thanks in advance!

Sorry again Arch..:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

I would say biddy earlys i have the pass from last year so im going to use it again :pac:

They never have anyone under the age of 20 and hardly anyone acts up in there when im there because they have bouncers in the pub and you wouldent get the chance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    ! There will be about 10 of us in total (all female and between 21-22yrs) We're all from different parts of Ireland/all primary school teachers. was outvoted!!:p We're nice/friendly/up for a laugh.

Ahem I'll be in Langtons :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

seeing as how its on topic.

cleere's new years party will be for charity this year and proceeds going to the susie long foundation.

plus willie meighan will be dj on the night (savage)

i know where i'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I was in Matt the Millers a couple of New Years back and it was hell. Place was so jammers we were stuck in a corner all night and couldn't move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

I would avoid Biddy Earleys and Morriseys, both a bit unsavoury and frequented by losers mainly.

I'd try Ryan's on Friary Street, Anna Conda or any of them down Parliament St.

Ryans attracts a fair share of 'arty' type weirdos but its good in general.

Hope this helps.

Biddy Earlys and Morrisseys are two completely different pubs!!!! For starters, Biddys has a strict entrance policy unlike Morrisseys where the majority of clientele are U-18. Secondly, unsavoury/loosers are not words id associate with Biddys unless you wanna say the same about the majority of other pubs around Kilkenny too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Anywhere on parliament st. is a decent bet for a good atmosphere and a friendly crowd.

I apologise for any offence caused to farmers, I didn't mean for that remark to sound so flippant but it did, so apologies. What I rather poorly tried to illustrate was the opinion that over John's Bridge is favoured by people from the country and the Parliament Street / High Street side is favoured by the townies. If you want a good mix of both, with Kilkenny's foreign population thrown in, then I think Morrisons is the best bet.

But yeah, I'd still be of the opinion that the Parliament Street side of town is much less hassle if you're looking for a quieter pint.

Good to see they aren't charging. I refuse on principle to go into pubs that charge entrance fees on New Year's Eve just because of the day that's in it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bridgey87

Rafter Dempseys,I go there all the time when I go out,the staff are really nice and its a nice cosy pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Whoever the band were that played in Rafter Dempseys a few weeks ago have put me off ever going in there again.

I would also recommend avoiding Biddy's and Morrissons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Langtons... What a place :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Langtons... What a place :eek::eek:
    lol what do u mean??

Yes. Please enlighten us. I for one am very curious now :p

lol what do u mean??
    Firetrap wrote: »
    Yes. Please enlighten us. I for one am very curious now :p

Well! Went into the club at 8 sitting near enough to the bar, anyway on the opposite sides of the club was a large and (lingerie wearing :eek:) group of traveller females. On the opposite side was a larger group of males of the traveller community.

Now I was impressed with the show of flesh by a lot of the girls:D But when about 9pm I went to take a leak.. there were about 10 lads rolling on the toilet floor which was covered in piss and I quote.. "Were Cork travellers your Kilkenny travellers but at the end of the day were all still just knackers" Oddly that ended the fight they all got up and hugged!

Later on one of the girls had an argument whith her boyfriend where she proceeded to try and glass him! Five mins later they were trying to swallow each others faces -> then 5 mins later he proceeded to choke slam her into the dance floor!

Headed back into the main bar about 1, and things returned to normal but it seemed mental outside.

Twas an enjoyable couple of days though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol at previous post :) not normal for langtons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

how did langtons leave in all the travellers?i go there the odd time im in kilkenny

I'm surprised they were let in as well. I don't go to Langtons much these days but would have been there more a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Well! Went into the club at 8 sitting near enough to the bar, anyway on the opposite sides of the club was a large and (lingerie wearing :eek:) group of traveller females. On the opposite side was a larger group of males of the traveller community.

Now I was impressed with the show of flesh by a lot of the girls:D But when about 9pm I went to take a leak.. there were about 10 lads rolling on the toilet floor which was covered in piss and I quote.. "Were Cork travellers your Kilkenny travellers but at the end of the day were all still just knackers" Oddly that ended the fight they all got up and hugged!

Later on one of the girls had an argument whith her boyfriend where she proceeded to try and glass him! Five mins later they were trying to swallow each others faces -> then 5 mins later he proceeded to choke slam her into the dance floor!

Headed back into the main bar about 1, and things returned to normal but it seemed mental outside.

Twas an enjoyable couple of days though!

ha ha it would have been worth the entrance fee for me to see that.

I go to langtons the odd time and there is fights but i never see travelers in it did he really chock slam her on the dance floor ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

gangs of women, fighting gypos, farmers dancing on tables...looking forward to it now! Will kytelers be wedged? Presumably everywhere will

• Advertisement

Such are the joys of going out on new year's eve :pac:

Advertisement