Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas lunch in sydney

Options
  • 03-12-2008 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a place for a nice turkey and ham lunch/dinner?
    only here a few days and as we are off to melbourne for 2 weeks now we wont have had a good chance to look around.

Does everyone hit the beaches xmas day and eat xmas dinner in local places?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

preddy wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a place for a nice turkey and ham lunch/dinner?
    only here a few days and as we are off to melbourne for 2 weeks now we wont have had a good chance to look around.

Does everyone hit the beaches xmas day and eat xmas dinner in local places?

Loads and loads of places have Xmas lunch - recommendations depend on where you are staying?

Aussie's don't normally have turkey and ham - more BBQ, esp seafood
    also only backpackers eat dinner on the beach, if they go to beaches they normally have it in parks near the beach. but again lots and lots of english and irish head to the popular beaches, like coogee and bondi and well maybe a novelty for you, I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

why wouldnt ya go near them with a barge pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Possibly because ...
    hussey wrote: »
    lots and lots of english and irish head to the popular beaches, like coogee and bondi...

Who really wants to see lots of pale skinned poms and paddies frying themselves like pigs while swillin on piss?

:D

The_B_Man wrote: »
    why wouldn't ya go near them with a barge pole?

Been there done that, bondi beach is absolutely jammers, no drink allowed, highly policed too. You can't move at the place, everyone has high expectations and plans to smuggle drink on beach and eat sand filled turkey.

Since I like to chill out, I'd head to a different beach, like north shore or Bronte, etc.

I've done the bondi thing at Xmas had great fun, but now it doesn't appeal to me. I can't chill out on a Jam packed beach.

Each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Staying near darling harbour, and did hear about the no booze on the beaches...
    BBQ sure thats not xmas! T & H all the way
    Any sort of public transport run on xmas day?

• Advertisement

preddy wrote: »
    Staying near darling harbour, and did hear about the no booze on the beaches...
    BBQ sure thats not xmas! T & H all the way
    Any sort of public transport run on xmas day?

Yes a few transport buses run - but on a reduced timetable - the popular routes usually run.

You may not get a T&H dinner around darling harbour (or else they might have it on a few days beforehand)
    - but in some pubs you might like P.J's etc, $50 pp
    http://www.pjobriens.com.au/pj_main.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Fill a cooler with beer, buy a cheap bbq, head to a decent butchers, and then hit one of the quieter beaches like hussey says. Was on Bronte last year and it was great craic, no issue about alcohol, that's just at the bigger beaches. You'll get over not having T+H and will have a MUCH better time than sitting in some ****ty pub eating crap food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Daithio wrote: »
    You'll get over not having T+H and will have a MUCH better time than sitting in some ****ty pub eating crap food.

Instead of T+H you'll have T+A

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

If you're looking for good home cooked traditional Christmas Dinner then Mulligans in Chippendale won't be beaten. We eat there when we are a tad homesick or just hungry for a good wholesome dinner. The atmosphere is exactly as you would expect from a family run restaurant. They have theme nights and live music most nights too. If you're feeling slightly worse for wear, check out their monster breakfast on a Sunday.

See http://www.mulligans.com.au

Enjoy...

seamy_orr wrote: »
    If you're looking for good home cooked traditional Christmas Dinner then Mulligans in Chippendale won't be beaten. We eat there when we are a tad homesick or just hungry for a good wholesome dinner. The atmosphere is exactly as you would expect from a family run restaurant. They have theme nights and live music most nights too. If you're feeling slightly worse for wear, check out their monster breakfast on a Sunday.

See http://www.mulligans.com.au

Enjoy...

I went there before - not impressed at all! Didn't think it was up to much now
    but that was a year ago... so maybe they changed their menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

I found the food great and have been there a few times since I arrived, but I know the restaurant was leased by the owners a while back and they have since taken it back under their wing as it wasn't being run the best. Maybe this is why the place was not up to standard the night you were there...

Advertisement