Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lil wayne is extremely overrated imo,discuss

Options
  • 03-12-2008 4:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Iv stong feelings about this.if this is what passes for a good rapper these days were in trouble,there are dozens of less known artist with far more talent than he has-lyrically and deliverance wise aswell.apparently he has a writer and its well documented his copy and past attitude to legends in the game.i dont really think the guy has any pluses.just wondering what people on here think,or am i by myself in this :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

theres already been a discussion on this, use the search feature butty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Absolutely tons of people hate him as well so I wouldn't say you were alone there.

I like alot of what he's released. Dedication 2 and Carter 3 were great. That said, his latest Dedication 3 is incredibly bad.

I'd find him alot more interesting than the other really big selling artists like 50, Kanye or The Game.

Best track he's done? Georgia Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pinder

only just seen the other thread so sorry for the repetitiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

Brand New
    absoulutley love this song apart from all the background talking

I Could Make A Black Women Scream Like She White
    I Can Make A White Woman Scream Like Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Oh shut up hes great, he's a workaholic so not everything he puts out is gold, but Tha Carter III was a great record and he just got 8 Grammy noms yesterday. Give him a bit of credit. I think a lot of people on this board finds anyone with a smidge of comercially successful "overrated"

• Advertisement

Have to disagree with ya there.I dont like his style of rapping,and to be honest there are dozens of better hip hop artists around.the only problem is 12year old girls only see whats on tv.There are so many others that actually write their own stuff,have better flow ,better songs and dont go on about being the best rapper alive.Ill use this metaphor;if a car came off the production line that thousands of people decided to buy,because they heard it was a good car but theyv no way of knowing because they dont know what a good car is like,in fact they used to take public transport (public transport is pop music and all other genres except hip hop in this case),well that car would get awards.but people who actually like cars,driven them all their lives would know its a bad car.is it still a good car?and commercially successful artists that were/are miles ahead of lil wayne are many;biggie,eminem,outkast,dre,snoop,bone thugs,scarface,big pun,ll, etc etc etc not too mention all the underground hip hop artist that would wipe the floor with him;brother ali,aesop rock,common market,atmosphere,messiah j etc etc etc.lil wayne will never be a legend because the people who like him now will move onto another genre in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

pinder wrote: »
    Have to disagree with ya there.I dont like his style of rapping,and to be honest there are dozens of better hip hop artists around.the only problem is 12year old girls only see whats on tv.There are so many others that actually write their own stuff,have better flow ,better songs and dont go on about being the best rapper alive.Ill use this metaphor;if a car came off the production line that thousands of people decided to buy,because they heard it was a good car but theyv no way of knowing because they dont know what a good car is like,in fact they used to take public transport (public transport is pop music and all other genres except hip hop in this case),well that car would get awards.but people who actually like cars,driven them all their lives would know its a bad car.is it still a good car?and commercially successful artists that were/are miles ahead of lil wayne are many;biggie,eminem,outkast,dre,snoop,bone thugs,scarface,big pun,ll, etc etc etc not too mention all the underground hip hop artist that would wipe the floor with him;brother ali,aesop rock,common market,atmosphere,messiah j etc etc etc.lil wayne will never be a legend because the people who like him now will move onto another genre in a few years
    What the hell are ya talking about? What kind of metaphor is that don't think iv seen a worse example, if your going to try a be smart at least come up with something a bit better

"There are so many others that actually write their own stuff,have better flow ,better songs and dont go on about being the best rapper alive."

He doesn't write his own stuff???
    His flow is brilliant e.g workin em
    You don't like his music because he big headed?

give me some proper examples or just go away

"commercially successful artists that were/are miles ahead of lil wayne are many;biggie,eminem,outkast,dre,snoop,bone thugs,scarface,big pun,ll, etc etc etc"

Jesus, could you have played it anymore safe? What about relevant commercially successful artists? It seems people on this board don't want to praise any because 1. they don't wanna get flamed or 2. this board may have disappeared up its own arse while I was away. Out of the "many" examples you gave, 3 of them are dead ffs! Lil Wayne was underground for years and everybody loved him, he will absolutely get props in a few years. You mentioned Eminem, if anybody remembers even when he was killing it on Marshall Mathers LP supposed rap heads were talking **** about him. Now he's a legend because he's less relevant and his back catalogue speaks for itself.

I like quite a few commercially successful artists around these days; Luda, Jeezy, Lupe, T.I Common, even a little Rick Ross now and then - hush my mouth. Basically you need better arguments than "he aint as good as _____inset random underground MC_____ or ____bonafide legend___" as to why you don't like him. Did you like him on Tha Carter 1 even?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Messiah J is a better rapper than Lil' Wayne? Wtf. As for Slug and Aesop Rock they're not better either. Dr. Dre as a rapper certainly doesn't come close to Wayne either.

Out of the list he gave 2 of them are dead.

speedboatchase can you make a point without getting on your little soapbox about how this board has become such and such, every post you make references it. Post what you want to post as long as it's relevant and within the boundaries of the charter or else why bother.

a lot a people would disagree with ya makaveli,your word isnt gospel.why is it that waynes fans are mostly teenage girls??if someone puts him on,one a three things happens,i leave;they leave or it gets turned off.no way would i listen to him,absolutely melts my brain,with his juvenile bubblegum lyrics.i dont insert random people,they just happen to be who i listen to most.im not name droppin like some here.thats what i listen to,no problem with that.whether someones dead or not shouldnt matter.he wants to call himself a legend,fine lets put him up against legends,stand back an see that if thats what we have right now as ''the best'' were n trouble.and if you call stealing a verse from aliyaah,lines from biggie,pac,snoop,scarface and more writing your own stuff well then i dont want to hear your opinon on hip hop,cos to me it wouldnt mean anythin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Iv stong feelings about this.if this is what passes for a good rapper these days were in trouble,there are dozens of less known artist with far more talent than he has-lyrically and deliverance wise aswell.apparently he has a writer and its well documented his copy and past attitude to legends in the game.i dont really think the guy has any pluses.just wondering what people on here think,or am i by myself in this :confused:

I don't like his sh1t at all, "rapper these days" everyone likes the music that was around when they were younger

Everything from back in the day was better according to most. But in most cases thats not true

thats got nothin ta do with what i said

Lil Wayne didn’t have a teenage female fanbase at all until Lollipop, and his next single after that was A Milli, hardly bubblegum pop. Do you think teenage girls were bumping Go DJ and Fireman a few years ago? They weren’t, and they didn’t pick up his mixtapes either. He built up a huge fanbase over years through his guest appearances and crazy amount of mixtapes (some of which are better than his albums), thats why he went platinum in a week.

Hip Hop might not be in great shape but Lil Wayne is the most prolific, successful and relevant rap artist out there these days, make of that what you will. And it takes years to take a look back at someone’s impact in the game. He won’t be considered a legend for years but I definitely think he will be when people look at Hip Hop in 07/08 in a few years and see what he was putting out in comparison to everybody else. Like I said, Eminem might be considered a legend now, but in 2001 and 2002 he had even more haters.

a lot a people would disagree with ya makaveli,your word isnt gospel.why is it that waynes fans are mostly teenage girls??if someone puts him on,one a three things happens,i leave;they leave or it gets turned off.no way would i listen to him,absolutely melts my brain,with his juvenile bubblegum lyrics.i dont insert random people,they just happen to be who i listen to most.im not name droppin like some here.thats what i listen to,no problem with that.whether someones dead or not shouldnt matter.he wants to call himself a legend,fine lets put him up against legends,stand back an see that if thats what we have right now as ''the best'' were n trouble.and if you call stealing a verse from aliyaah,lines from biggie,pac,snoop,scarface and more writing your own stuff well then i dont want to hear your opinon on hip hop,cos to me it wouldnt mean anythin

When did I say my word is gospel? On the flip side of that who says your word is?

Wayne's fan are mostly teenage girls? Most teenage girls first exposure to Lil' Wayne would have been from him featuring on that Destiny's Child song a couple of years ago. The thing is he's been making music for a long time so I fail to see how his fans are mostly teenage girls. The Carter III is a lot more radio friendly what with all the collaborations with R&B artists which is going to expand his fan base but let's try not to make sweeping generalisations.

If someone plays his music they leave? How does that make sense?
    If someone put on Aesop Rock or Atmosphere at a party how long do you think that would last? For one they make completely different types of music, suited to different occasions but Slug is a sub par emcee and Aesop Rock lacks charisma. I like both Atmosphere and Aesop Rock but Lil' Wayne is a better emcee imo.

My comment about two of your list being dead was in relation to speedboatchase saying three were dead.

I don't know if Wayne is a legend, I certainly never said he was or that he was the best alive but I certainly don't think he's bad. He bites lyrics? Look up Jay-Z on youtube for the same thing and you'll find videos just as long. Dr. Dre has stuff ghost written for him. A lot of rappers recycle/bite lyrics. It's nothing new, granted the Aaliyah verse is lame but what Wayne song is it from? Constant biting is lazy and not something anyone should defend but don't think he's the only one doing it.

If you think he doesn't write any of his own lyrics then you're deluded, but point out to me where anyone on this thread has inferred that him biting lyrics is the same as him writing lyrics.

It really seems like you're bashing him because he's now popular with teenage girls. I used not like him because I couldn't get past his voice but now I've gotten used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore and I think he's pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Weezybabee

I think there are better rappers out there than weezy like jayz nd fiddy bt in fairness, his lyrics and beats r catchy. hes one cocky lad tho!

think he just featured on the song.i think bitings a good enough reason not to like someone.when i heard him do honeys play me close like butter play toast,i think thats when my dislike a him really started.theres a few atmosphere tunes,iv blasted at partys before an the thing was bumpin,notably their newer stuff,shoulda known an you are good party tunes.im half regrettin puttin this thread up,its never going to achieve anything,i dont like him,i dont think i ever will.people who like him arent going to change their opinion either.so fu*k it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I can't stand him as a rapper. I've never bought one of his albums and I don't listen to the radio so I don't know if I ever heard on of his songs.

I have heard him featured on a lot of stuff and he's always been a let down. The ones I remember are:

Hollywood Divorce - Outkast w/ Snoop Dogg & Lil' Wayne, he was crap.
    Grindin' Remix - Clipse w/ NORE, Baby & Lil' Wayne, he was upstaged by Baby, ffs.
    Barry Bonds - Kanye West w/ Lil' Wayne, he was ok.

I can't really explain. There's something about his style that doesn't appeal to me, the way he stops and starts and breathes a lot heavier than other rappers.

think he just featured on the song.i think bitings a good enough reason not to like someone.when i heard him do honeys play me close like butter play toast,i think thats when my dislike a him really started.theres a few atmosphere tunes,iv blasted at partys before an the thing was bumpin,notably their newer stuff,shoulda known an you are good party tunes.im half regrettin puttin this thread up,its never going to achieve anything,i dont like him,i dont think i ever will.people who like him arent going to change their opinion either.so fu*k it

If you dislike him for biting that Biggie line you must hate Jay-Z, he has bitten Biggie lyrics a lot.

The point of the thread is to see both sides of the discussion, it's not to change people's opinions. Music is subjective there is no right or wrong preference, it's all down to taste. Nothing wrong with a bit of debate.
    I can't really explain. There's something about his style that doesn't appeal to me, the way he stops and starts and breathes a lot heavier than other rappers.

Well he is nicknamed Weezy.
    I couldn't get passed his delivery style / sound of his voice either but then I decided to just give him another go and try and not get distracted by it. I hardly notice it now. It does stand out on tracks he does with other rappers though. Mr. Carter track on The Carter III with Jay-Z makes it very obvious again.

I wouldn't even come close to being a big fan of this guy, I just think he's decent. Some of his lyrics are great, some aren't. I found I like half of The Carter III and the rest was forgettable, but I think it's unfair to dismiss him completely.

to be honest iv never really listened to jay z,just heard the tunes everybodies heard,iv heard that before about him though but for some reason though he doesnt annoy me like lil wayne does.ah your right theres nothing wrong with debate

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Blockhead's take on Lil Wayne from his Sweeping Generalizations:

http://www.definitivejux.net/news/895

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 soloparadox

Makaveli wrote: »
    If someone plays his music they leave? How does that make sense?
    If someone put on Aesop Rock or Atmosphere at a party how long do you think that would last? For one they make completely different types of music, suited to different occasions but Slug is a sub par emcee and Aesop Rock lacks charisma. I like both Atmosphere and Aesop Rock but Lil' Wayne is a better emcee imo.

My comment about two of your list being dead was in relation to speedboatchase saying three were dead.

I don't know if Wayne is a legend, I certainly never said he was or that he was the best alive but I certainly don't think he's bad. He bites lyrics? Look up Jay-Z on youtube for the same thing and you'll find videos just as long. Dr. Dre has stuff ghost written for him. A lot of rappers recycle/bite lyrics. It's nothing new, granted the Aaliyah verse is lame but what Wayne song is it from? Constant biting is lazy and not something anyone should defend but don't think he's the only one doing it.

If you think he doesn't write any of his own lyrics then you're deluded, but point out to me where anyone on this thread has inferred that him biting lyrics is the same as him writing lyrics.

It really seems like you're bashing him because he's now popular with teenage girls. I used not like him because I couldn't get past his voice but now I've gotten used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore and I think he's pretty decent.

First of all wow. From a technical standpoint you have no basis for this argument. Both Slug and Aesop Rock are far far better at putting words together than Wayne. In terms of preference that is obviously subjective but when making a judgement as to who is the better emcee you could objectively view all of the aspects that encompas being a great rapper and see that Wayne comes 3rd in pretty much every catagory. If you prefer Wayne's music fair enough but to say he is a better emcee is just ridiculous.

On the second point it was the other way around. Jay Z wrote for Dre on 2001. He penned all of Still Dre.

EDIT: Ah read the second part wrong. My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sm3lly_Ball$

i'd rather listen to vanilla ice to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Everybody copies everybody else to an extent. Jay-Z has a good touch of the Wayne style on his new single Brooklyn Goes Hard (over a looped A-Milli style vocal) with a wheezy/screechy delivery and draaaging out the end of each line. I really like it.

First of all wow. From a technical standpoint you have no basis for this argument. Both Slug and Aesop Rock are far far better at putting words together than Wayne. In terms of preference that is obviously subjective but when making a judgement as to who is the better emcee you could objectively view all of the aspects that encompas being a great rapper and see that Wayne comes 3rd in pretty much every catagory. If you prefer Wayne's music fair enough but to say he is a better emcee is just ridiculous.

Actually I prefer both to Wayne but it's not the point. Slug the most emo rapper alive and Aesop Rock both severely lack charisma. Aesop Rock is extremely hit and miss lyrically and has not got a particularly great flow, he also has the ability to be incredibly boring. Slug is decent at penning lyrics but is a not an outstanding emcee and not really all that deserving of Ant's production at times. Neither of them are great rappers, Lil Wayne isn't either. Delivery wise I'd probably give it to Slug but he's really not that good. The other thing is they make vastly different types of Hip-Hop which makes comparison more difficult.

If the three of them released an album on the same day I can tell you I'd probably check out Wayne's last. At least with an Atmosphere or Aesop Rock album you'll more than likely get consistency, with a Lil' Wayne album I find it's peaks and troughs the whole way through.

Just a final word on your post, you've written off my post without actually backing up anything. From an objective point of view you say Wayne loses in almost every category, but that's all you say. I can equally say your post is ridiculous for not backing anything up while stating your opinion as fact.

Advertisement