Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you use a skype phone on your pc as broadband connection

Options
  • 03-12-2008 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

can you use a skype phone on your pc as broadband connection

i have been told you can does anyone know

i have a 3g card at moment and if you can use skype phone as same i might get this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you mean a "3" Mobile phone with skype?

1) such phones do have a Modem mode, but often the phone itself can't do HSDPA (384K 3g only some models) or has a lower top speed than a 3G/HSDPA modem (PCMCIA or USB).

2) Such phones do not actually have a Skype client. They use ordinary 3g voice call and "3" then use a Proxy server computer to convert the call to Skype.

Many 3G phones will work as Computer Modems (depending on SIM contract and operator limitations). Speed varies. Some are limited to 115k on USB as the USB is really a serial to USB adaptor. Speed varies a lot by model using Bluetooth.

Most can't receive phone calls (or make them) while used "tethered" like this. The data cost on an ordinary phone plan is very high. Unless you get a 3G /HSDPA data plan addon for the phone account, the online cost for PC can be x10 to x1000 higher than the plan that comes with the SIM of a USB/Datacard Modem.

Summary:
    If you mean what I think you mean, yes it works, but usually inferior solution to a dedicated Modem.

Advertisement