Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseeker's allowance and Christmas postal work.

• 03-12-2008 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm currently on jobseeker's allowance and have gotten myself some work at the post office, just for 2 weeks, starting on Monday.

I'm just wondering what to tell the dole.
    Do I just not tell them? (probably not a good idea seeing as I'll be working in a government job)
    Do I approach the casuals desk and tell them I've just gotten 2 weeks work, and they'll accomodate me?
    Or worst of all do I have to "sign off" making me have to go through the signing on process again in 2 weeks(given the situation at the moment won't I be waiting ages to get back on?)

Thanks for reading I'm sure there's plenty of people in my position every year so the office has a procedure in place but I'd appreciate any responses, particularly from from somebody who has been in this situation before, just so as I know what to do.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Congratulations on the job.

You have to let the Social Welfare know. If you are paying tax they will find out and stop your payment. They will also ask you to repay whatever payments you did recieve while also working and you are very likely to encounter problems when you try to sign on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Here's a hypothetical question.

Poster is lucky enough to get a job, but get's paid monthly.
    Does the poster tell revenue when the new job contract is signed?
    Or
    Does the poster continue to collect jsa from post office, *until* the first pay cheque comes in.

After all, what does the poster feed himself on while waiting for the first pay cheque? a month is a long time!!!! :D

You are better off informing the SW. Even if you get paid monthly if you are paying tax the SW will find out. If you need money in-between, you will be referred to a Community Welfare Officer.

Of course you can continue to sign on right up until you start work. All that will happen is if you ever need to sign on again the SW will take the money from you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikeneilly

I don't mind telling them but my problem is that since it's only for 2 weeks, if I sign off will I have to go through the whole rig-ma-roll of signing on again in 2 weeks?
    I mean, I could be waiting many weeks after that until my application is processed.

But as An Post take on a lot of Christmas staff(a lot of whom are signing I guess) the dole office must have some sort of facility for these workers, or at least I'm hoping as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

I signed on in July and got offered temporary work with An Post after a few weeks. I contacted the SW office and there was no problem. They sent me out regular forms and i just 'X' for the days that i wasnt working, i.e. didnt sign for the days i was actually working.

My problem was that as my claim had not been assessed, i was refused my allowance as anytim the deciding officer contacted me to arraneg a meeting to dicuss my circumstances, i was at work and eventually my claim was refused even though i explained my situation at the time. I didnt bother appealing it as it was only for a couple of weeks and i have been working since, however i will have to make a new claim after Christmas.

If your claim has been ok'd and you have been receiving payments i doubt you will have any major problem.

Re: my own problem, is it worth going ahead appealing my claim for the couple of weeks that i am owed???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Musoabuso

so if im on job seekers and I collect my dole on a wednesday whats the story this year with christmas and new years falling on a wednesday, do they pay you 3 weeks up front or what?

The *only* people who get the double payment at the chronically lazy unemployable fcukers, that have been out of work for a year or more.

Like they deserve it or something.

The only people who deserve the double payment are those who have had to recently endure the dramatic drop in lifestyle that being unemployed brings.

This country is so fecked up.

I agree that there shouldn't be a bonus or a reward for being long-term unemployed. There should be rewards for getting yourself off the dole, not remaining on it.

There's a little box that says: Thanks From Neesa
    What's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Theres thanks from me now, it means that we have enjoyed the content of that particular post. I too find double pay for the long terms a bit stupid.

More info on thanks here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055417850

• Advertisement
Advertisement