Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No. 1 DSLR maker (it's not Canon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Meh, this has been going on for years. Canon gets to the top of the market, Nikon kicks them off, Canon waits a bit, and kicks Nikon off again. Repeat to infinity - It's nothing new, and in fairness, Canon have been top of the game for the last few years of consumer availible digitial SLR's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Meh, this has been going on for years. Canon gets to the top of the market, Nikon kicks them off, Canon waits a bit, and kicks Nikon off again. Repeat to infinity - It's nothing new, and in fairness, Canon have been top of the game for the last few years of consumer availible digitial SLR's.

The power of Marketing is an amazing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

lies, damn lies and statistics...
    note how they don't say worldwide sales :)

Here are some stats from an independent japanese auditor:

Mizuho Securities Equity Research, Tokyo, issued an 8-pages sector outlook report on Precision Instruments today.

The report includes an extensive breakdown of the camera industry, including the researchers estimates on market shares and operating profit for the three months April-June 2008 (1st quarter) regarding the four leading manufacturers of DSLRs.

These figures seem to indicate that:

* Canon has regained a clear leadership in DSLRs with a market share well above 40 per cent and a very strong profit.

* Sony is now a clear #3 in DSLRs with a market share in the region of 12 per cent, more than doubling #4, Olympus.

* Sony's big step forward is costly, since Sony is taking an operating loss of no less than 16.7 per cent in the DSLR business. Olympus is losing money from DSLRs too, however much less but making no inroads either.

Please note that these estimates are from an independent researcher, your view might be different.

Key figures regarding DSLRs only (April-June 2008):
    DSLR units/operating profit margin

> Canon 1,050,000/23.2
    > Nikon 820,000/19.1
    > Sony 330,000/-16,7
    > Olympus 150,000/-6.7

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Canon waits a bit, and kicks Nikon off again.

what ever helps ya sleep at night Al :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Now maybe i'm not reading this right but at the top it says

Nikon has announced that it is now the UK's leading manufacturer of DSLRs.

At the bottom it has a headline

Nikon beating Canon

and after that it says

The fight in the DSLR market between Canon and Nikon has always been a close one, with last year's figures suggesting that Canon won the camera war by just one per cent – taking a 41 per cent market share to Nikon's 40 per cent.

does not compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

is it all a football match or do any of you go out and take photographs without thinking "my camera's manufacturer is winning the economic war" at any stage at all?

I shot Olympus for a long time. Their lens were the best I ever used. Now I use Canon.

at the end of the day, the person making the photo is me. Not the marketing guys whipping up a tribal warfare between users.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

hang on, yer forgetting one small detail

Nikon has announced that it is now the UK's leading manufacturer of DSLRs.

its called bias =p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I think I'll lock this. I can't see that it's going to be any more constructive than it already isn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement