Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speaker Help

Options
  • 03-12-2008 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the modified cars section first cause I thought they'd have more experience with this type of thing but I got no replies... :(

I recently blew the speakers in my passat. I'm just wondering if there is a huge range of different fitments on 6" speakers or are they standard?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What I did when that happened was to remove a speaker and go in to the shop and compare with the various speakers in the boxes. If the old one fits so will the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

That's the plan if I can't get any advice or info. I just thought maybe somebody here would know the answer to my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Are your speakers easily removed (and installed)?

AFAIK, your speakers are riveted into the doors, although I'm sure someone can correct this. Also, they have vw specific connectors - you're gonna have to remove the old block connectors and replace with some spades that'll slide onto the new speakers.

yeah they are riveted. That's not a problem. the connectors I can also work around.
    I just wondering about the variations in speaker fitment?

Do all 6" speakers come with a 4 holed bracket with the holes spaced the exact same way? Or are they all completely different? OR.... Do i have to take the blown speaker out of whatever housing its in and re-fit a new speaker.

I've done my share of DIY over the years but I've never worked with speakers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I can't remember the passat speakers, but some factory speakers would only have 3 holes while most aftermarket would have 4 - you just need to whip the drill out. Can't comment on spacing of holes - there would probably be slight differences.

Take the door card off and the speaker out - try sizing up the new speaker before you buy.

• Advertisement

ok, i'll do that. I just hate taking the speaker out cause I've to take off the door card, then the panel that's behind that so I can drill through the rivets.

Its a pain in the ass kinda job. Thanks for the advice anywho....

Advertisement