Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Plan for Connemarathon

Options
  • 03-12-2008 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,

I'm training for the Connemarathon, it will be my 2nd Marathon after completing Dublin this year.

When I trained for Dublin I used the training plan on the Dublin Marathon web site.

For the Connemarathon I need to incorporate some hill running, but I can't find a training plan to follow. (I like having the structure of a trainng plan)

Can anyone advise me how you trained or are training for Connemara?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Shergar, I would suggest following your favourite program, (i.e. same as before), or looking at Hal Higdon's programs, or if you feel up to it, take a look at a Pfitzinger and Douglas' advanced programs. The difference is, (as you mentioned) you need to incorporate hills, particularly on your long runs. So stick with a normal training program, just incorporate hills with approximately the same climb gradient and length.

I plan to incorporate at least one decent hill in my long runs, and will include two hills closer to race date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi Shergar,
    I've done the Conn full for the last 3 years. I'm lucky to live in Wicklow so all my long runs had hills in some shape or form. It worked for me. You could do worse than look at the imra winter league races and incorporate those into your schedule also. Cheers, SJ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm in a similar position as SJ in that I have plently of hills near where I live. Incorporate some hill work into your training and you will be fine. I was intimated by what I heard about the hills out there, the "Hell of the West" if I remember correctly and for me it was just blow out of proportion. Its a fair sized hill but it no Everest. Anyway just wanted to say hi and best of luck with your training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shergar76

Thanks for the advice guys,

Just had a look at the IMRA winter league, looks great I'll be signing up for some of those.

Also I'm thinking about a target time for Connemarathon, I did Dublin in 3.19. Is 4 hrs for con realistic, optimistic or pessimistic?!!

I've only just discovered boards, so you'll probably be seeing quite a bit from me now :D
    Shergar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck Shergar. My best Dublin and Connemara times are mere minutes apart so there is no reason why you can't conjure up a similar time in Connemara, or go better if you feel you can put a better set of training together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think it was suggested that the hills of Connemara added about 5 minutes to your overall marathon time. So I'd suggest you're being very pessimistic. *edit*: beaten to the punch!

Advertisement