Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun cartridge prices for clays

Options
  • 03-12-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

What is the typical price for clay ammunition 12b 28g 7.5's. I bought a couple of boxes of Eley Olympic trap recently and they cost €6.50 each (€260/1000, €65 for a carton of 250). The same cartridges are listed on justcartridges.com for £140/1000 ~€175/1000.

What do other Clay shooters pay, do you buy by the carton and is it through a dealer or club.

I am new to clay shooting but I was lead to believe that a carton of 28g 7.5's can be had for €50 or less or am I dreaming?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You paid too much for Olympic Trap cartridges. Typical price is €180/€190 per 1,000 fro Diana - good cartridge. RC1's are about €200 / 1,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 snelltrading

mrhd wrote: »
    What is the typical price for clay ammunition 12b 28g 7.5's. I bought a couple of boxes of Eley Olympic trap recently and they cost €6.50 each (€260/1000, €65 for a carton of 250). The same cartridges are listed on justcartridges.com for £140/1000 ~€175/1000.

What do other Clay shooters pay, do you buy by the carton and is it through a dealer or club.

I am new to clay shooting but I was lead to believe that a carton of 28g 7.5's can be had for €50 or less or am I dreaming?
    olympic traps are only a 5euro a box or 50 for 250 east cost dog and gun in goery co wexford sell them at that price any how

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

You paid too much for Olympic Trap cartridges. Typical price is €180/€190 per 1,000 fro Diana - good cartridge. RC1's are about €200 / 1,000
    ya he payed way too much! Last a them i bought were 50 a carton for dianas!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Assume they were plastic wad?
    €6.50 is around the price for fibre wad shells...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

Just an update on my own experiences since the o.p.

I tried Jeffersport in Bandon and they were 6.50/box for eley olympics.

The best I have done so far was 55/250 for Diana's at Knocknagoshel S.G., you can get them for 205/1000 which is just a little over the 50/250 you guys were getting them for.

BTW what quantity do you have on your Shot-Gun licence. Mine only allows me 100 rounds. That would just get me through 2 rounds of DTL in my novice state with a few left over for the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

never ever buy a few boxes lads as all dealers charge a lot extra for a box or three ,
    get a few lads and buy 2-3 tou and haggle lead has gone through the floor now so cartridges will be coming down in price ,them dealers have old stock ,new stock will be cheeper .

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

I'm paying 190 per thousand for Hull DTL 300's.

mrhd wrote: »
    Just an update on my own experiences since the o.p.

I tried Jeffersport in Bandon and they were 6.50/box for eley olympics.

The best I have done so far was 55/250 for Diana's at Knocknagoshel S.G., you can get them for 205/1000 which is just a little over the 50/250 you guys were getting them for.

BTW what quantity do you have on your Shot-Gun licence. Mine only allows me 100 rounds. That would just get me through 2 rounds of DTL in my novice state with a few left over for the next day.
    i never had a problem buying up to 2000 cartages at a time just go to the right dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

i never had a problem buying up to 2000 cartages at a time just go to the right dealer

That would be illegal both for you to have that amount of ammo and for the dealer to sell that amount unless your licence stated otherwise.

Yes it is stated that only 100 cartages "should" be bought at any onetime but i dont think theres a proper shootgun shooter that buys 100 rounds at a time they would have to go back and forward that many times from the gun shop ya nearly have move in especially a cley shooter and i dont mean some one that thinks they shoot a lot eg 100 rounds now and again i shoot clays in my club every sunday and i might be left with hand full out of a slab 250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes it is stated that only 100 cartages "should" be bought at any onetime but i dont think theres a proper shootgun shooter that buys 100 rounds at a time they would have to go back and forward that many times from the gun shop ya nearly have move in especially a cley shooter and i dont mean some one that thinks they shoot a lot eg 100 rounds now and again i shoot clays in my club every sunday and i might be left with hand full out of a slab 250

Er, "should" doesn't come into it. If you want to buy or hold more ammunition, apply to have your limit increased. Please don't condone illegal acts and particularly firearms offences (being in breach of the conditions of your licence is not good) here.

Tell that to every one els and all the gun shops

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Tell that to every one els and all the gun shops

If you want to risk being arrested for a firearms offence, by all means go ahead, but don't advise that others do the same please, it's rather bloody stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Agreed. Do not encourage others to break the law.

Back on topic, has anyone ever come across a place that does not allow outside cartridges to be used i.e. only the clubs own cartridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Back on topic, has anyone ever come across a place that does not allow outside cartridges to be used i.e. only the clubs own cartridges?
    jays never seen that? did you?

Yes. I have visited a clay club where only the clubs own branded cartridges could be used on their grounds.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes. I have visited a clay club where only the clubs own branded cartridges could be used on their grounds.

I take it you didn't visit again?

I could understand a club placing restrictions on plastic wads and insisting on fibre only - but I certainly wouldn't part with my cash if they insisted I use their shells. It's probably illegal under some legislation or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭mightyabhabelle

Sorry for being a little bit OT but I think its relevant...

being a newbie to clays and just putting in for my license... just a few quick ones...

Can you buy amo online. I heard you could if you supply your license details.

How much do I put down on my form. I heard 100 is standard but like the other newbie... I could got though this in one sitting. If I put in a slab is there a chance that I wont get it?

Whats the highest amount you can put down on the license.

Last but not least... can you buy bigger than a slab and divide it up... ie is the amount on the license the amount you can store in the house or the amount you can buy?

thanks Might

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I could understand a club placing restrictions on plastic wads and insisting on fibre only - but I certainly wouldn't part with my cash if they insisted I use their shells. It's probably illegal under some legislation or other.
    If it is, I don't know what Act outlaws it. All ranges are privately owned concerns in this country (bar the army/gardai ones that is), and their operators have enormous leeway in the rules they apply there. We've all heard in here of ranges doing this with rifle/pistol ammunition, so it's not just a shotgun thing.

Mind you, just because something's legal doesn't mean it's not downright stupid - treating customers like that is going to drive them away, whether it be away from the sport altogether or just away to another range. It really is a case of fighting to get a bigger slice of the pie instead of fighting to get a bigger pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

How much do I put down on my form. I heard 100 is standard but like the other newbie... I could got though this in one sitting. If I put in a slab is there a chance that I wont get it?
    Depends on your local super, and how you ask him. If you're off doing clay pigeon shooting and taking part in competitions and you show him evidence of this (photos, placings in published results, etc), then you've a strong case; and if you have a europass the default is 500 anyway (and you are legally entitled under EU law to a europass when you get your licence).

Honestly, I always thought the 100 default is a result of most licences being granted to farmers and hunters who might not get through a hundred rounds in several months. Target shooters are just in another ball park when it comes to ammunition consumption, and most Gardai seem to get that.
    Whats the highest amount you can put down on the license.
    How small is your handwriting? :D
    Legally, there's no limit under the Act. You might be able to get a limit under some other Act, but it'd have to be argued in court.
    Practically, well, I'd start with a slab and if you need more, ask again.
    Last but not least... can you buy bigger than a slab and divide it up... ie is the amount on the license the amount you can store in the house or the amount you can buy?
    It's the largest amount you can possess, so if you buy a thousand on a licence for a hundred and keep them yourself, you're breaking the law. If you pay a dealer for a thousand and walk out of the shop with a hundred and collect the next hundred after that, well, it's gray. My read of it though would be that you own the shells, not that you're in possession of them. But if they're locked up in the dealer's safe, I can't see why any super would have an issue with that (beyond making sure they were in the dealer's safe that is).

Of course, you'd have to pay the dealer a bit more to cover his storage costs, but he'd have lower overheads for shipping&importation with bulk orders.... I'm not sure how the economics of it would work out. And I'm not sure what the legal restrictions on the dealer are in this scenario. Practically, it's better to up your limit.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Mind you, just because something's legal doesn't mean it's not downright stupid - treating customers like that is going to drive them away, whether it be away from the sport altogether or just away to another range.

Couldn't agree more!

I certainly wouldn't set foot in the place if that was the case. I did hear stories coming back from beginners about a certain grounds insisting that they use the owners shells only - but that was only from beginners. I've never heard of ICPSA shooters being forced to use them. The owner would get short shrift there.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

watch this space i heard of shell going to be sold for 160 -a 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 31 david5624

From the Garda website.

•Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    •Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    •Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    •Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

My licence came back with 500 on it. I shoot clays.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I suppose I'm lucky - my club has a shop so I can just go back and forth to the shop buying cartridges all day

I've only ever bought 100 at a go as that is all my cartridge bag holds and as I have only 100 rounds on my license that's all I'm allowed buy plus it gives you an excuse to go in for a cuppa in between.

I've often gone out to shoot a compact (35 bird) and ended up having to come back to refill the bag as we decided to shoot the ABT(25 bird) and Sporting(60 bird) layouts aswell.

Plenty of lads bring their own cartridges and regale me with tales of how they saved themselves a tenner off a thousand. Fine as they have a license to buy them. (One of the guys has got a good deal on fibre wad cartridges and ever time he fired a well chewed cigar went downrange)

Same for pistol ammo - all licenses have quite low limits - I again am lucky that I can buy it in the shop so can come in and out all day and again have seen lads turn up with their own ammo and heard tales of how they saved themselves €6.50 by buying a 1000 at a time. It would cost me more than that to pay someone to carry the brick (assume a good stone weight) around for me but I do not have a license for 1000 so could not buy them to begin with.

As to tales of people being forced to use the ranges ammo - I have never experienced it and have only heard of it on here - never from actual real live people.

B'Man

I have come across it at one clay club here and many clubs in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

david5624 wrote: »
    From the Garda website.

•Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    •Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    •Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    •Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

My licence came back with 500 on it. I shoot clays.

David

You think your hard done by I got 250 after a second request after I requested 1,000 on my application and got 100 :rolleyes:

They are "guidelines" not worth a ****e unless your Super agrees with then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    .............if you have a europass the default is 500 anyway (and you are legally entitled under EU law to a europass when you get your licence)...........

I know this was discussed here before but can you advise where ammo limit of 500 is relevant to Europass.

I see a way of doubling my ammo allowances :)

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

At home your Europass is useless and entitles you to nothing.

Once you leave the ROI your Europass entitles you to purchase ammunition up to the limit specified UNLESS the jurisdiction you are in has it's own visitor permit - in which case that permit takes precedence.

So if You have an Irish License with 100 rounds
    a NI Visitor Permit with 600 Rounds and
    a EuroPass with 500 Rounds

In Ireland you can buy 100 rounds only
    In NI You can buy 600 rounds only and
    In the EU you can buy 500 rounds only (Excluding Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Scotland & Wales)
    Isle of Man and Channel Islands are not in the EU so Europass is useless.

There wqas an article on this sort of thing in the last NASRPC newsletter.

Hope it helps,

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

david5624 wrote: »
    From the Garda website.

•Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds. My Da got his 100, and was glad as he haad a 25 limit for years•Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds. I got 500 as I asked for 500 and showed gun reason
    •Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.(I got 750) I got 1000 as I asked for 1000•Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds. I asked and got 500, I could not afford 1000 .308 at the mo

All I can say, we have a sound C.Super;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

i bought 1000 cartridges for 168 euro (about two weeks ago now)
    eley olympic trap 28g 7.5

from sean harding of stakelums, thurles

Advertisement