Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOUSE TRAINING!!

Options
  • 03-12-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

hiya, me and my partner just adopted a lovely little collie pup, she's three months old now and we're having very little luck house training her so far, we read ina book not to smack them if you catch them doing it to just put them outside straight away but it really isn't working, we live in a rented house so need to sort this out asap!
    PLease help if any one knows any good techniques!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They usually go after meals so you can take the pup for a walk after every meal.
    This way it connects relieving itself with being outdoors, don't go inside until it has pooped.
    It will still have a few accidents though, just keep an eye on it and bring it outside as soon as you see signs of it needing "to go".
    m2c

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

hiya, me and my partner just adopted a lovely little collie pup, she's three months old now and we're having very little luck house training her so far, we read ina book not to smack them if you catch them doing it to just put them outside straight away but it really isn't working, we live in a rented house so need to sort this out asap!
    PLease help if any one knows any good techniques!

Things not to do include smacking and wiping their nose in it. This teaches them to go where you can't see it, making a bad situation worse.

The only thing for it I think is to bring her out every 20 mins during the day and praise her to the hilt for going to the toilet when she does. If you catch her going inside, pick her up, carry her out put her on the ground and say toilet (I say weewees but I don't expect anyone else to :P) then wait outside until she goes again. A lot of hard work, but worth it.

Crate training is a fantastic tool for helping your puppy learn that they go outside. If she sleeps in a crate, when you come down in the morning, bring her out the back, she will go as she wouldn't have gone in her bed overnight. Then you have a chance to tell her what a great girl she is. :) It's all about praise. You have to be careful when crate training them not to leave them for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

ya that create training is a good idea actually never thought of that, we've been doing the watching her like a hawk thing and praising her loads outside and it usually works due to our dilligence but I feel she isn't making the connection that it's something she shouldn't do with this method.

Works wonders, and the dogs actually like it, It's their little "safehouse" :) Fantastic too to have when you are cooking, or have guests going in and out or for whatever reason it's safer for her to be contained for a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

At three months old you simply can't expect her to be totally accident free, neither can you expect her to fully grasp what it is that you want.

Time & patience will fix both these issues.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    At three months old you simply can't expect her to be totally accident free, neither can you expect her to fully grasp what it is that you want.

Time & patience will fix both these issues.
    Sorry yeah I didn't say this, but you wont be totally accident free. Even with the crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

When I training my dog, every time she started doing a number 2, we lifted her up and put her on the grass outside, she eventually learned you do it out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 twinkie

I am having big problems house traing my 5mth old puppy. We also have a 1yr old who is trained. We have done the same things as with the other dog but its not working. There are always at least 2-3 accidents in the morning both number 1s and 2s. She is let out last thing before we go to bed(about 11.30) and first thing in the morning 6.15am. I expect at her age to have maybe 1 accident during the night but not as much as she does. After feeding them breakfast I leave the backdoor open so that they can go in and out when they like. Sometimes she will go on the floor on the inside of the door. She'll go outside if my other dog goes out but she won't go on her own. My husband spends lunchtime bringing her in and out like a yo yo but if he goes upstairs or anything she'll go on the floor. Last night I brought her out 20 mins after her dinner and she didn't go. Then I brought her out every few mins for the next hour or so. After standing outside in the cold for 5 mins I broght her in again. 2mins later I turn around and there she is going on the floor.. I know that she is still young but she doesn't seem to be trying al all. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

All I can think of is loads and loads of praise when she goes outside. And if you catch her in the act so to speak, you will have to lift her and carry her out. Sounds like a bit of a problem alright, maybe someone with more expereince could give you better advice.

Again, I will say a crate for overnight should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

What I was told while training guide dog puppies is that ever hour a puppy has got to go, So after every meal, a half hour after that and an hour after each is when they will next piddle. buy nice treats and associate a word with the act of piddling and pooping, we personally say busy busy, anytime they go outdoors give them a treat and say good
    insert own word. if they go indoors say no firmly, but do not yell and the puppy will realise it is not allowed.

Also they will try to tell you they need to go. if they are sniffing around a bit it is usually to find a spot to piddle, or some puppies choose a spot. It is recommended also to put a piece of newspaper inside the back door to try an teach them that if they have to go indoors, this is the only acceptable place.

Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement