Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHOCK! Irish broadband services slower than advertised!

Options
  • 03-12-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

I know, I can hardly believe it either. But it seems that we Irish consumers are being taken for a bunch of idiots by our service providers. Now I know this comes as a shock to you all. But here's a report on the 'quality' of our service-

Ireland Internet Performance Index

I apologise if this has been posted before, but I thought it was an interesting article to share with you. Maybe it's time our ISPs did something about the shocking level of service they provide...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I heard the interview on RTE news.

1) He didn't point out that high ping on Mobile was inherent to technology. He claimed to not know why.

2) Without a distribution curve, locations, split by technology type and report of the Advertised Contention, the "average" figures are meaningless.

3) No mention on RTE news that Almost all packages are sold UP TO with 24:1 or 48:1 contention.

A totally misleading and poorly executed survey, badly explained by their rep on RTE news.

More usefully what is your speed at peak usage times and offpeak? Do you ever get package speed. If the Off Peak is less than 90% and you never see the package speed then there is an issue. Getting 60% speed at peak time on a 48:1 contented package is actually good.

They appear to have only tested DSL* and HSDPA. No mention of how many or which HSDPA cells are used which can hugely skew results. I can find 3G cells where you always get over 2Mbps and others where you never get more than 1Mbp.

How big where the Samples? Was it Bitstream or LLU BT customers?

*DSL:
    Was Digiweb sample Bitstream DSL, 3.5MHz FWA or Metro Wireless? It's not 100% clear if by "fixed line" they mean DSL or not.

Obviously Smart will be best on DSL (if you can get it) as it is a very low contention LLU product.

Lets see some proper "transparently presented" statistics with sensible known sample sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Hey

We Irish are expected to accept..... poor service, incompetent management (& governance), being fleeced left right & centre, cartels, toothless regulators, price gauging, quangos, false advertising, etc, etc.

Now please do your patriotic thing and accept this!

This is Ireland... Ireland IS different!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I agree with Watty.

The guy seemed clueless. Could they not find someone in the know to go on the radio?

Their "facts" didn't sound believable either. Did the taxpayers pay for this rubbish survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Definitely a filler item, the popular RTE radio programmes like Morning Ireland, Pat Kenny and Drivetime get bombarded by marketing garbage and one of the best routes to getting coverage and your name mentioned as yet another self-styled 'expert' is to publish a survey, tell RTE about it and sit and hope that it's a slow news day and they call you.

You then get interviewed live on radio at which stage you can advertise the fact that you know so much about the topic that RTE phone you up for your opinion. RTE gets to fill an otherwise empty slot, you get free publicity, a win-win situation except for the poor general public who have to listen to a pot of garbage and self-promotion masquerading as research.

• Advertisement
Advertisement