Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlighter Hood

Options
  • 03-12-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

HI,
    I have gu10 downlighters in the upstairs of my house. In the attic teh insulation has been pulled back around each downlighter. So there is an insulation leake ans also a potential fire hazard.I've been looking at these fire hoods - anyone any experience/opinion?

http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/doc/12/vid/627/INTUMESCENT_DOWNLIGHTER_HOOD.html

If I wanted to floor the attic, can I lay flooring over these hoods with air holes cut in the wood floor?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hoods are good for this application, and anything you can do to add extra air flow is good.

Just a quick suggestion , CFL lights, Megaman 9W much less heat?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If I wanted to floor the attic, can I lay flooring over these hoods with air holes cut in the wood floor?
    I did exactly that. I used the chipboard attic floor panels and drilled a series of holes just above each fitting.
    No problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Hi - thanks for the comments.

I agree that meganman 9w cfl would reduce heat .. however I need dimmable bulbs and I have tried the warm white version and they are much to white. So need to get dimmable extra warm white and from what I can see Megaman do not have this option ... please correct me if I'm worng .. or if they exsit by another manufacturer .. :)

Cheers

Advertisement