Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Hero, which to get?????

Options
  • 03-12-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

getting guitar hero on the wii for my little sister for christmas but havent a clue which one to get. asked in hmv on grafton st but yer man seemed as clueless as me. is it worth getting the special edition for 95 euro over the standard one for 80 euro. Does anyone know whats so much better about the special ed. its a much bigger box so i assume it has more than just an obligatory aerosmith poster or whatever.

apologies in advance for my cluelessness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Guitar Hero forum here mate.

There are a few different versions, the latest of which is Guitar Hero : World Tour. This edition changes the series somewhat by introducing drums and a microphone. You can buy it with just the game and guitar from probably around 90-110 euro and then with game, guitar, mic and drums for 200-300? Or if she already has a guitar you could just pick up the new game for the usual 50 squid.

The version you sound like you're looking at is Guitar Hero : Aerosmith edition (or whatever they called it) which is just a selection of Aerosmith songs/songs they recommend so if you sister is not into that music then it could be a waste (what age is your sister/musical tastes? (genuine reasons :p)). If you are going with the Aerosmith version, then I'd say just get the standard edition, just make sure it comes with the guitar controller and it's not just the game on it's own.

There is another game from the original makers of Guitar Hero called Rock Band and it recieves mostly positive critique over the newer iterations of Guitar Hero but it's understandable that you may be more inclined to go for the better recognised brand but depending on your sisters interests, Rock Band could be well worth a look.

That's all I got for now, sorry if it's a bit messy. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll see what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Cheers for that smellyirishman. That a massive help. Yeah think ill give the aerosmith edition a miss as she hopefully isnt them at all. She is only 14 so i guess she is getting more and more into "better" music, ie not pop. Had a quick look at the back of the rock legends version and not sure she d know a lot of the songs but i guess she has to start somewhere. pretty sure she d know some of the more popular ones like hotel california.

noticed the other game you were on about in the shops alright but she hasnt expressed an interst in that yet so may just go with the safe choice.

sorry about posting in the wrong forum. mods feel free to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Here's the list of tracks on all of the games that are available (within reason).

GH:WT.

GH:III Legends of Rock.

Rock Band 1.

Rock Band 2. (Hmm, this might not be out for the Wii yet actually.)

I'd say GH:WT is your best bet in terms of safety but hopefully you'll get a few more opinions as I've only play GH III and Rock Band 1 recently.

Highlight: Just re-read the OP and realised that you said the special edition had a much bigger box, that's probably the version that comes with the guitar controller. Without a guitar controller the game is pretty naff so I'll stress it again, make sure you're getting a bundle with game + controller. With GH:WT there will be 3 bundles; game, game + guitar and game + guitar + drums + mic. Likewise with Rock Band 1. With Guitar Hero 3 (if you can find it) there is just game or game + controller as they did not have the drumming/singing elements before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I'd go for world tour. Be sure to see if she has the guitar, if not it will cost a bundle more.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Rock Band is the more expensive options, but they tend to be better games.

The Guitar Hero series since 2 just hasn't been up to scratch. The track list in World Tour isn't too hot either. imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement