Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import Question

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a truck chassis in Australia and shipping it to the UK to to convert it to a breakdown lorry then shipping it here.

Would it be simpler shipping it here and driving it to the UK and back?

From reading the Taric codes a breakdown lorry is only 3.7% duty but a chassis and engine for a breakdown lorry would be 10%.
    Taric - Breakdown Lorry
    Taric - Chassis
    Would it be possible to state that it will be a breakdown lorry?

Does any one have any advice on this?

I assume I have to pay duty, shipping and VAT if I ship to Ireland.
    What do you have to pay importing from the UK? Would it be cheaper to import it into the UK and pay their VAT or do I have to pay it here aswell?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions

Al

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

alfoxy wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a truck chassis in Australia and shipping it to the UK to to convert it to a breakdown lorry then shipping it here.

Would it be simpler shipping it here and driving it to the UK and back?

From reading the Taric codes a breakdown lorry is only 3.7% duty but a chassis and engine for a breakdown lorry would be 10%.
    Taric - Breakdown Lorry
    Taric - Chassis
    Would it be possible to state that it will be a breakdown lorry?

Does any one have any advice on this?

I assume I have to pay duty, shipping and VAT if I ship to Ireland.
    What do you have to pay importing from the UK? Would it be cheaper to import it into the UK and pay their VAT or do I have to pay it here aswell?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions

Al

import it into the uk, get her fitted and safe, take her home on the boat and get her tested, vrt'd etc... 100% legal, i presume englands cheaper then ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

have you tried sourcing a prebuilt one from japan, there are lots of comerical machinery available from japan, try www.ibcjapan.co.jp i think mitsubishi fuso is their major manufacturer

Advertisement