Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the best de-icer?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Turn on the engine, let it warm up for a minute then get your credit card and just scrape it all off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

2L plastic milk bottle filled with WARM water.

WARM: I said warm, not hot, warm - warm as you'd put your finger in and say "ooh, that's warm".
    NOT HOT; so its NOT going to crack your windscreen. I've a degree in Physics and I've been doing this for twenty years. Warm.

Did I say warm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

cjt156 wrote: »

WARM: I said warm, not hot, warm - warm as you'd put your finger in and say "ooh, that's warm".
    NOT HOT; so its NOT going to crack your windscreen. I've a degree in Physics and I've been doing this for twenty years. Warm.

Did I say warm?

agreed, don t fix a method that isnt broken.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

tdc wrote: »
    Turn on the engine, let it warm up for a minute then get your credit card and just scrape it all off

I've seen other people doing that, but I'd be afraid that you'd either scratch the windscreen, or else break the credit card. Plus it takes ther engine longer to warm up when it's just sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I've seen other people doing that, but I'd be afraid that you'd either scratch the windscreen, or else break the credit card. Plus it takes ther engine longer to warm up when it's just sitting there.

Gat a Proper ice scraper I've one in the boot and it does the trick no scrapes yet wither but I'm not worried.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Muscle power and a good quality scraper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Did I say warm?

I disagree. Warm is more advisable but water at 90degrees on a frozen windscreeen of a non-cracked modern car will not break the windscreen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

this is what I do.....

- pour warm water on the windscreen
    - turn on the intermittent wipers
    - pour more warm water on until the ice is basically gone
    - leave the wipers on for ages.

No more ice can form if there is no water, so keeping the wipers on really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Did I say warm?

I agree when you're at home its perfect, but what if your out somewhere? De-icer is emergnecy stuff imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Warm water is the best and quickest. 2 litre bottle out with you so you don't have to run back in with the kettle or jug or what ever else you may have used. I actually use very warm water, melts it quicker. Still not so hot that you couldn't hold the hand in it.
    Apparently the de-icers leave a kind of grease on the windscreen when the weather is back to normal that's hard to wash off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

eiskratzer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I filled a thermos flask the last few evenings with hottish water which was warm when I needed it a few hours later. Got a few looks pouring water from the thermos onto the screen until the same people discovered theirs was frozen too, then I got asked for leftovers from my flask! It is cheap and cheerful plus I now actually use the thermos! I must pop into Halfords soon though to get something handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I do the same when going to work at night. Fill up a 2 litre bottle of boiling hot water and chuck it in the car. When I finish work and come out to frozen windscreen the bottle is just warm!

If I get caught off guard an ice scraper and some elbow grease does the trick but the fingers do feel it afterwards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Squirty Tesco one for a quid or whatever. Water always seems to refreeze when I'm at home, (Wicklow Hills). The frost is so much milder here in Dublin though. I had nothing but a litre of screenwash last fri night and I poured the whole thing onto my windscreen undiluted. It hasn't frozen since and my warm air blower smells like vodka the whole time now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Warm water with a bit of screen wash or washing up liquid to help it stop freezing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

I just drive with my head stuck out the window, like Ace Ventura ... works for me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Heated front screen is a wonderful invention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

warm water but i don't pour it directly on teh glass incase it's a little to warm, normally pour it on teh roof and let it flow down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I agree when you're at home its perfect, but what if your out somewhere? De-icer is emergnecy stuff imo.

+1

I forgot to mention that. What if you're out at the shops one evening, and you come back to the car with the windscreen frozen up. De-icer is perfect for this scenario imo...

It's not really practical to carry around 2l of warm water in the car. What if it spills?

And as for the scrapers, is there not a danger that they will scratch the windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Holts do a spray can one for about €4, I sell it and its very good apparently.

Personally I do the warm water thing. why waste 4 quid?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I agree, a rare moment of innovation from Ford! Have they patented it though? I've seen no other manufacturer with it. I'd much prefer that to any other useless "extra" like xenon lights or front fog lights or any crap like that. (I have xenon's and they annoy me cause they cost a fortune when they go wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

+1

I forgot to mention that. What if you're out at the shops one evening, and you come back to the car with the windscreen frozen up. De-icer is perfect for this scenario imo...

It's not really practical to carry around 2l of warm water in the car. What if it spills?

And as for the scrapers, is there not a danger that they will scratch the windscreen?

it would be very difficult to scratch glass with a piece of plastic!!

I use the warm water meself, or if Im out just let the car warm up for 5 mins and your away. I dont use my credit card incase I damage it......but my work ID works fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

God, I've missed my old Mondeo this past week.

Personally use the start and whack heat on full blast, leave for 5 mins and use windscreen wipers.

Absolutely not.

Try living in Germany or somewhere where they have real cold weather and surviving the winter without an ice scraper (and a sweeping brush for sweeping the snow off the roof and bonnet too!) I survived several really severe winters there without having to resort to nasty chemical defroster sprays, so anyone here will surely be able to do the same.

Another way is to get a windscreen frost protector to put on your windscreen at night if it looks like it's going to be a cold one.

Agreed .. had one on a Mondeo once.

The thing that puzzles me though is why it only seems to be Ford that offer them as an option? (At least i think so)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Alun wrote: »

The thing that puzzles me though is why it only seems to be Ford that offer them as an option? (At least i think so)

always wondered about this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I don't like the way oncoming headlights(kind of) reflect off the wires,it's a weird effect.Suppose you'd get used to it.
    Handy for this weather definitely.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

PI$$

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

R.O.R wrote: »
    use windscreen wipers.
    I think this is a pretty good way to knacker your wiper blades.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

PI$$

That's the answer. It doesn't cost anything, doesn't harm the bodywork, isn't so hot that it will damage the glass, and it can readily be topped up. The down side is that frostbite is not something to be taken lightly.:D

Advertisement