Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Malley Park Picture Tour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have said it before and I will say it again. Smack children. Illegal my ass. Its physical education. How can you learn respect when you know that if the teacher hits you they will be sacked, if the garda hits you he will be likely be sacked, if your parents hit you the social worker will turn up and if you do anything remotely illegal you are underage and the court and Gardai cant do nothing about you.

Unless I punch you in the back of the head. You wont act like a **** then.

+1

The law should be allowed to be more heavy handed. There is a difference between smacking your kids and beating your kids HAPPYGIRL.

My nephew told my mother a few years ago while being cheeky "if you smack me, I can call the social worker".
    If I said that when I was younger , I would have gotten twice the red @rse from a wooden spoon as before I said it....
    I've seen scum in England verbally abuse police nose to nose saying "what are you gonna do about it, you can't touch me.."

It's wrong wrong wrong. The cops should have been allowed to beat him. If that's the respect he had for a man in uniform, what respect does he have for an ordinary joe....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

seachto7 wrote: »
    +1

My nephew told my mother a few years ago while being cheeky "if you smack me, I can call the social worker".
    If I said that when I was younger , I would have gotten twice the red @rse from a wooden spoon as before I said it....
    I've seen scum in England verbally abuse police nose to nose saying "what are you gonna do about it, you can't touch me.."

I remember being young and saying "fvck" in some form of a sentence. I was chased around the house whilst I should "im sorry, im sorry, im sorry, I wont say it again". I got the smack around the back of the legs.

Check out this Dylan Moran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I only watched that dvd last week. good stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Estates like these are a fact of life, somebody has to set the standard for bad behaviour. If you live in one you must live with this fact, if you don't it will probably not affect your life. I know there are exceptions to this rule but dont let the exceptions run your life.

Hand wringing or Frankenstien style mobs advancing on the Drug Barons lair are not going to change anything.

One the worst thing about these ghettos compared to others is that they seem boring and small minded, and the so called Gangsters who live there are judging by their photos beyond ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

I have said it before and I will say it again. Smack children. Illegal my ass. Its physical education. How can you learn respect when you know that if the teacher hits you they will be sacked, if the garda hits you he will be likely be sacked, if your parents hit you the social worker will turn up and if you do anything remotely illegal you are underage and the court and Gardai cant do nothing about you.

Unless I punch you in the back of the head. You wont act like a **** then.

Here you are suggesting that figures of authority like teachers and gardai should be allowed to hit kids
    I never said hit everyone and I never said hit anyone without a reason nor did I say hit somebody and then demand respect.

The minority which is slowly becoming the majority have no respect. Spanking your child teaches them a lesson and does teach them to respect you.

Finally Happygirl: Physical Education is smacking/spanking in my opinion. It is done to your own kids not to anybody elses.

Here you're saying that only parents should be allowed to hit their children. I guess my problem with physical punishment is where do we draw the line.

Also the two statements in bold totally contradict each other. I was born and raised in Limerick my parents never hit any of us but we were taught to respect others. Violence in any form breds violence.

The point of this thread is a good one there are so many socio-economic factors that lead to anti-social behaviour. Most of which will not be solved in the short-term.

However when dealing with juveniles the parents should be held fully responsible for their childrens actions. If children fail to go to school or engage in any type of anti-social behaviour then the parents should be prosecuted.

I have been accused of being a 'bleeding heart' and part of a 'fluffy bunny brigade' nothing could be further from the truth. I wish we had police force and a justice system that could actually enforce zero tolerence. The dangerous sumbag element in limerick need to be taken off the streets. People who destroy houses that they have been given by the tax-payers should not be re-housed under any circumstances.

Finally, quirke, the kids that threw the rock at your car definately deserved to be given a fright. Hopefully it might stop them doing it again, or even make them think twice if they are capable of doing so, but to be honest i doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brianyf

Happygirl, you say that voilence in any form breeds voilence, and then try to link this statement to people's disciplining of their children. If there is in fact any correlation between children being physically punished when they are young turning out to be more voilent adults I would like to see it.
    People have been disciplining children physically since the dawn of time up to and including a generation ago. What makes you think that our generation has suddenly cracked child rearing to such an extent that we feel we can outlaw this practise. From what I can see and every single set of data available will support me. The current generation in Ireland since corporal punishment has been abolished is the most voilent and dangerous the country has known in recent history. I'm not saying that hitting your children is the sole reason for this but it represents a change in the way we raise our children. Everybody in this country looks at their children through rose tinted glasses and the country is full of parents that are convinced that their children are angels, while at school they are terrors and when the parents are told they convince themselves that it's not as bad as they are being told and usually wind up with a problem with the teacher. My mother is a teacher who has been working for the past 40 years and has seen these changes in the recent generation of Irish children and parents, people need to stop trying to be their kids friends and become their parents again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

around my way lately youths throwing stones and rocks at cars had a gun pulled on some of them, the problem was immediatly solved, as they had told the cops that as they were under 18 they could not be touched, they were under the impression that they were untouchable, happy girl, its the do gooders that have bred the current problems we have

Neglectful parenting has caused many of the current societies problems.

Apathy to what their child is up to is a massive problem.

Passing Henry St Garda station today at 11:45ish and there were crowds of Youth outside the Youth Centre across from the Garda station. Its a place where they learn skills like cooking and bakery.

A Garda was getting into his car and the shouting began. I was sitting in traffic so put down the window.

"Where you going now you fat cvnt?"
    " Arrest me now you pr*ck?"
    " See you later when I sign on pig"

There were lots of utterings made but I could not understand them.

Is this a good place for these types of people. All jammed in a room together for hours. They should be separated like the housing areas.

Where do we send them?

"Not anywhere near me and my bubble wrapped kids", I hear you say.

Discipline & respect. If a senior citizen was on here we would hear lots of what is was like for them growing up and what moulded them into who they are. We would be waiting a while whilst they were typing and stopped sticking the library card in the cd rom drive but lessons would be learned from them.

I think the point of this thread was skewed a while back.

The houses are in disprepair but who is responsible?

Some are abandoned and some are part of the regeneration project. However somebody is trashing the houses, people have in the past burnt out their house so the council would move them. Some people do not deserve houses or even a shed. Some do.

What about the poor women holidaying in Portugal when her house exploded in O'Malley Park? How can she afford a holiday in high season when she cannot afford a house? Something for another day. At least her house being destroyed was an accident. The rest Im afraid to say are not in the majority of cases.

Long story short and the following is a quote Im sure some people will secretely agree with.

"Not in my back garden"

See the third house along the row. My Fiancee's brothers fiancees parents lived there up to 2 months ago. They now live in the Maldron hotel, believe it or not paid for by the residents association.

PICT0622.jpg

Update on that family.

They are now living in a 4 bedroomed house in Janesbrough. A bit of a stint in the Maldron Hotel but now they are in Janesbrough.

Not affluent but better than "the hill".

old boy wrote: »
    its the do gooders that have bred the current problems we have

So which is it the do gooders, the scumbags or the criminals that have caused the problems?

Where did i say that criminals shouldn't be punished to the full letter of the law? Actually i wish the punishments were much harsher. But then again i have already said that.

Kids who engage in criminal and anti-social behaviour also need to be punished.

However it is such a massive leap to suggest that all of societies problems will be solved by bringing back corporal punishment. Why should all children suffer? Do you really think the situation was better when christian brothers and other figures of authority has free reign to use corporal punishment? Allowing corporal punishment leaves the door wide open for abuse of that power.

Why is it against the law to hit your partner but not your small children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

HAPPYGIRL wrote: »
    So which is it the do gooders, the scumbags or the criminals that have caused the problems?

The scumbags and the criminals are the problem, bred by a culture of nannying and mollycoddling, instead of proper punishment where punishment is due. If these scumbags and criminals had proper boundaries set in their childhood then we probably wouldn't have half the problem we have today.
    Where did i say that criminals shouldn't be punished to the full letter of the law? Actually i wish the punishments were much harsher. But then again i have already said that.

Kids who engage in criminal and anti-social behaviour also need to be punished.

The punishments are there in the law but the problem is again from the do gooders, who say stuff like, you can't lock him/her up for 10 years, they have a young child at home.......there was an old saying years ago, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime, the courts are too soft on criminals these days due to lobbying by civil rights groups.
    However it is such a massive leap to suggest that all of societies problems will be solved by bringing back corporal punishment. Why should all children suffer? Do you really think the situation was better when christian brothers and other figures of authority has free reign to use corporal punishment? Allowing corporal punishment leaves the door wide open for abuse of that power.

nobody on this thread is talking about bringing back corporal punishment, all people are saying is that if children were smacked by their parents, like we were then there would be a much different attitude from young people to their elders.
    Why is it against the law to hit your partner but not your small children?

You cannot equate domestic abuse to smacking a child lightly on the bottom or the back of the legs, as a punishment. They are 2 completely different things.

foinse wrote: »
    The scumbags and the criminals are the problem, bred by a culture of nannying and mollycoddling, instead of proper punishment where punishment is due. If these scumbags and criminals had proper boundaries set in their childhood then we probably wouldn't have half the problem we have today.

The punishments are there in the law but the problem is again from the do gooders, who say stuff like, you can't lock him/her up for 10 years, they have a young child at home.......there was an old saying years ago, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime, the courts are too soft on criminals these days due to lobbying by civil rights groups.

nobody on this thread is talking about bringing back corporal punishment, all people are saying is that if children were smacked by their parents, like we were then there would be a much different attitude from young people to their elders.

You cannot equate domestic abuse to smacking a child lightly on the bottom or the back of the legs, as a punishment. They are 2 completely different things.

Adults are perfectly capable of setting boundaries for and instilling respect in children without hitting them. If they cant manage to do so then they are not good parents anyway.

It was suggested that parents, teachers and gardai should be able to hit children actually. That is corporal punishment.

Look my point was that once you allow hitting where does it stop?. You are all talking about 'supposedly' reasonable parents who can give a light smack then stop. Do you seriously think that parents who rear delinquents and dont care will stop at a light smack. Or for that matter do you really think a smack on the bottom will stop kids intent on being criminals?

Maybe we should get this thread back on topic now. Well after you all are finished telling me how wrong i am again of course!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I resent the fact that my parents "spanked" me. Lets call a spade a spade it's actual physical punishment. In reality it is a tool of those that lack the ability to reason with a child ffs! Justification for physical punishment as a method for disciplining cannot come from anecdotal evidence along the lines of "oh my parents smacked me and I'm fine". I remember when my mother wasn't smacking me, my siblings and I were smacking each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

foinse wrote: »
    The scumbags and the criminals are the problem, bred by a culture of nannying and mollycoddling, instead of proper punishment where punishment is due.
    I promise you Foinse, there inst a "scumbag" in Limerick who doesnt know what it feels like to get a box into the face at the age of three off their parents for something as natural as soiling themselves. Them same parents will then teach the kids to tell the guards to fu*k off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

there is an old saying there is nothing wrong with the kids, its just the parents that some of them have, and the do godders to explain the rest, b.t.w. i have a pension book

You have the society you voted for, you don't like it now so much now, so lets beat the children, hang the scumbags and fast track planning for some Work camps I have being saying it for years.

I have recently moved to the midwest and I am interested to know if people would be willing to join a sensible right wing party, you must be willing to work to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My parents brought up in the 50's were taught the right and wrongs. I didnt get half as bad the punishment they did, but I still turned out great, respectful to older people/women etc, and we were punished with the wooden spoon. Even the mention of getting a slap with it would mean, utter obedience in every way.

You should see kids today....not one bit of control by the parents, told to see on the step bla bla, what a load of ****ing bull****! Kids need to be put in place by their parents and if there parents aint going to do it, then hopefully they will end up in prison somewhere.

I remember when I worked in Tesco, one of the managers looked at me very funny when i had said please and thank you. he then said to me, you must have been brought up well. Truth is, I was.

the fact is we need a strong state to enforce disiplince, I doubt there are any people who now regret democracy, decent people have nothing to fear, you are part of it.

I have recently moved to the midwest and I am interested to know if people would be willing to join a sensible right wing party, you must be willing to work to join.
    Im intrigued. Please indulge me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Wow this brings back memories (good ones I might add) - I lived here until I was 8 (435 still remember the number!) and haven't seen it in 30 odd years I still remember it vividly was just starting to get bad when we left.
    Thanks OP
    pict0622pw1.jpg

We are committed to corporal punishment, death sentences for scum reservations for scumbags families, deportation for undesirable foreigners, and other reasonable policies. We only want grafters.

We are committed to corporal punishment, death sentences for scum reservations for scumbags families, deportation for undesirable foreigners, and other reasonable policies. We only want grafters.

I can see how your final solution is unfolding by eliminating the zionist invention of correct punctuation. Outline your policies on internet trolls and you have a new member.

I can see how your final solution is unfolding by eliminating the zionist invention of correct punctuation. Outline your policies on internet trolls and you have a new member.

We do discriminate not against trolls or any other person with a disability.

But........

Do you have a mortgage?

Do You shop in M&S

Did you have a comortable job (that is now under threat)

Do you aspire to the above if so new party for right on party people coming soon to the mid west.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

We do discriminate not against trolls or any other person with a disability.

But........

Do you have a mortgage?

Do You shop in M&S

Did you have a comortable job (that is now under threat)

Do you aspire to the above if so new party for right on party people coming soon to the mid west.

Both the extreme right and extreme left have been done before in these parts and they both lacked fulfillment. in 1905 we flirted with anti-semitism and in 1919 we flirted with bolchevism.

you never stated who you do discriminate against.

The fact that you don't know that there is no M and S in this city shows that you know very little about the community you want to represent.

Your keyboard doesn't count as a person, so replace "we" with "I"

eamon234 wrote: »
    Wow this brings back memories (good ones I might add) - I lived here until I was 8 (435 still remember the number!) and haven't seen it in 30 odd years I still remember it vividly was just starting to get bad when we left.
    Thanks OP

The house appears available for you to move straight in.

:D

Both the extreme right and extreme left have been done before in these parts and they both lacked fulfillment. in 1905 we flirted with anti-semitism and in 1919 we flirted with bolchevism.

you never stated who you do discriminate against.

The fact that you don't know that there is no M and S in this city shows that you know very little about the community you want to represent.

Many people on this thread have expressed right wing views, views have in favour of capital punishment, lynch mobs, vigilantism, corporal punishment, the suspension of civil liberties etc. So I think I am in tune with many people in Limerick. There might be no M&S in limerick but people there do have cars (those that haven't been stolen that is) and they can travel elsewhere and shop as they please. I do wish that you would leave aside your pedantry in what is a important debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Do you really think that? Most of the people in those estates are fine.
    Exactly like. it's fupping south central. You can drive through these places fine. I play with a soccer team. We play matches in these types of places all the time. Driving through is not that bad. Wise up lads

• Advertisement

Many people on this thread have expressed right wing views, views have in favour of capital punishment, lynch mobs, vigilantism, corporal punishment, the suspension of civil liberties etc. So I think I am in tune with many people in Limerick. There might be no M&S in limerick but people there do have cars (those that haven't been stolen that is) and they can travel elsewhere and shop as they please. I do wish that you would leave aside your pedantry in what is a important debate.

The problem I have with capital punishment is that if you get it wrong, and execute an innocent by mistake then there is no way you can even make a symbolic apology to that person. Their dead, and saying sorry isn't going to bring them back. At least if they are in jail and are found to be innocent they can be released and looked after by the state.

With lynch mobs if they get it wrong they are accountable to nobody. any shower of muppets can form a lynch mob and break down someones door. what if they get the wrong person?

I think a lot of problems would be solved if jail time was made more arduous, the word "concurrent" was removed from the statute books, and judges could be recalled if they were too lenient on repeat offenders.

you don't need lynch mobs and the like. The death penalty isn't much of a deterrant anyway.

Advertisement